Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Sales and Service Technician

Promoted quickly and had several salary increases within a year. Enjoyed talking to the customers and members and some co-workers and managers were very nice to work with.
Pros
Great benefits and lots of training/coaching to get better.
Cons
Being "on" for long periods of time can be exhausting.
Management and leads are happy to help because everyone starts out in the same position. The hardest part are the guests you have to talk to, it can get pretty stressful. The best part is the relaxed environment everyone is pretty nice to eachother.
Pros
Breakroom has plenty of food to buy, coworkers are nice, management is helpful, benefits for full-time employees
Cons
Some guests are entitled, they want you to keep your call under 6 minutes
The job was ok, it wasn't too difficult to learn. They just expect you to show up, do your job and leave. They didn't let their sales and service agents (Reservations) work from home during this pandemic which was upsetting to me. Its repetitive, and redundant work. If you have worked at a call center before you'll know what to expect. You wont have time to get to know your coworkers cause you'll be on the phones all the time. Your manager is only really there to tell you to have better metrics and fire you if they have to. I sensed desperation when I worked there, cause people needed a job, and that's all they can do. Just do your job, make sure you use the restroom during your break, and they'll leave you alone. Learn a better skill that will pay you more money while you are working here. Unless you are extremely passionate about the industry. You have to be there for a while to move up and they have to like you.
It's a good place to work. If you like working pretty much on your own it's a great place but if you need to get help or ask questions with a real person that's not gonna happen you call assist for help and sometimes they aren't that helpful.
Good vacation benefits and pay. When days are slow, you can put in down time, to be excused to go home, and it will not count against your attendance.
Cons
short breaks
Expect no life Little respect Cultural groups that don't mingle. If you Spanish stic with the Spanish.. Same for other cultures. Not to mention the weekend work. 5, 6 am shifts and not a spit of fairness.
Marriott will offer unlimited overtime during peak times, downtime when slow with no pressure. Flexible, floating schedules which gives you more opportunities for vacationing and/or family time. A great place to work!
I enjoy that I can work in my pajamas and have no commute. I provide rooms for guests to relax & connectivity on work trips. My manager helps me to improve my skills with monthly virtural meetings, and if I need to improve, I know what areas to improve in. The travel room discounts for employees is great! I enjoy travelling & time off & I am refreshed when I come back to work. I'm able to relate to guests that stay in our hotels when I have been to the hotels & local venues, I can give recommendations when I have firsthand knowledge gained by the travel.
Overall good experience. Great starter job for college students and retirees. You have to have a lot of patience and a great attitude to deal with customers. Booking a room you wouldn’t think was difficult, but there are a lot of unhappy customers.
Pros
EE discounts, relaxed dress code
Cons
Hours, low pay and stressful customers
•Operating varying electronic monetary verification systems •Applying my team building, critical thinking and leadership skill to my everyday tasks •Applying proper record keeping, analysis and reporting
Marriott gave me such an amazing opportunity. The management is always there for you when you need them and will help you succeed as long as you put the effort in. I unfortunately had to leave for my mental health that was effected outside of work. Marriott does work with Ransdad (temp agency) and that was the only downside. It brought in a lot of people who didn't really care about the work, coworkers, and the keeping the building clean. The temp agency just hired anyone it seemed like and it really impacted the work environment. When ever Marriott is slow they offer down-time which you dont have to take but you can leave early once it is approved. Management is very flexible when it comes to school schedules as well. I would highly recommend working with them if you want to actually go to work everyday. They also have unlimited overtime for half the year.
Pros
Amazing Management, Flexible Schdule, Great opportunity's to advance
Cons
Ghetto Temp Agency
They try hard but they aren't fixing the problems there all there doing is covering it up. Its painful to sit in a chair all day and asking for help. Don't bothet all they do is hang up and tell you to figure it out. Not worth it.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Everything else
Very stressful and really hard to get days off without vacation time. Good pay but you get threatened a lot over small things which makes it harder to want to stay.
Marriott is a good place to work and it is good for college students looking to pay for extra items for school and work and bills. Place to work while in school.
The company in whole mainly the HR department is the most unorganized HR I have ever see. They have different department in differents states handling medical leave
Very adaptable and considerate to employee needs. Value home and work life balance. Over all friendly co-workers and management. Very repetitive work but easy if you don't mind the monotony.
There are a lot of benefits with SPG but as far as the work is concerned, it is crazy. For every call they have you trying to sell a hotel room. Every last call
They promise through hiring and training that advancement is readily available and easy to achieve, but upon completing training and qualifying for advancement there was no new training available. Advised basically that wouldn't happen for another year when it was made to sound like a fast process what with bringing people in that had been with the company less than 2 years and had already advanced to top tier level. Very underwhelming and the overall pay level is not enough to even sustain a single one bedroom apartment for a year on adjusted income based rent.
Pros
Great benefits, great management
Cons
poor advancement opportunities, lots of shady dealings
My typical day at work would consist of helping customers book hotels for Starwood property. I learned how to sale rooms to customers by simply speaking with an up beat tone, that way the customer can feel more comfortable speaking, and buying a room from you. The management team was very helpful. We had meeting every week about what we could do to better sale the hotel rooms, and have the customer satisfied.
Pros
sitting where ever you felt comfortable
Cons
short breaks
They make it sound amazing when you first start then you soon realize it sucks unless you're just an amazing person with call centers. Benefits are no where close to what they tell you either and you can fired easily.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, training isnt bad
Cons
don't learn everything you need, way to many expectations
I love this job. The management is very supportive and want to help you succeed and move up with in the company. They have very good incentives for meeting goals. Overall is a great place to work. They also do special things for you like free snacks, free coffee and other fun things.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
30 minute lunch, not flexible on schedule changes.