Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Senior Event Manager

Loved working for Marriott but COVID changed everything. Great team work and an amazing boss to help you succeed in your position. You get support from all departments when needed.
On my first day at the Airport Marriott Hotel, I met Mr. Marriott. I also had the opportunity of meeting David Marriott. Our hotel received Hotel of the year and our Regional Team along with David Marriott came to personally serve our staff lunch. There are no words to explain my employment experience with Marriott. I have been in the industry for over 30 years and will always keep Marriott as the best employers.
Pros
The company makes you feel good about the services you provice
Cons
No cons, Marriott sets the best example of being a GREAT Employer
All departments work as a team and always willing to help and assist each other an way. Good and well managed management. Had a very understanding and general manager. That is always will to assist in any way. Understand the staff need and capability. capabality
Never enough time in the day. Politics and favoritism is a huge issue. No longer is it about taking care of the guest it is about MONEY. Managers have no empowerment. Hotels are run understaffed adding stress for all.
Great company to work for. Very organized with excellent communication between all hotel departments. Staff meeting kept the combination open, wonderful staff whom remain very dear friends.
Pros
Fast paced, staff, social, creative
Cons
Long hours during the holiday season
Do it!!! They are amazing to work for and have great leadership. I really enjoyed my time there and plan on going back one day when my personal life allows me to.
Each hotel is different and company culture can really effect the middle management of an organization. There were many different departments that were managed differently but needed to work together. The fast paced atmosphere is a contributor for a lot of communication failure. The company name and benefits are still a selling point and I would work for the company again.
Overall, Marriott International is a fantastic company. The company provides many training tools and encourage/support you to the next level of your career. There are many opportunities for growth.
Pros
Good work enviroment, Good Leadership, Benefits
Leader in the Hospitality Industry. Great work environment with a focus on loyalty and commitment. Exceptional talent leading the way into a brighter future.
Great staff, best hotel in Kansas City providing excellent customer satisfaction! Ranked top 10% in all of Marriott brands 2013, 2014, 2015 and ranked number 1 in Interstate Hotel Company for Event Satisfaction from meeting planners around the globe!
Pros
Free lunch, focused on employee growth
Cons
None!
Marriott International Excellent Leadership at proprety level Good Balance Advancemnet Senior Corporate Leadership is now a non hotelier The bottom line is all that matters now. While the face of the company is still great the culture is not what is was for the last 30 years.
Pros
Enviorment pay benefits training
Cons
Not the employee and customer based company it used to be
As an event manager one is responsible for the complete planning of large conventions to smaller board meetings or local social events. It is a self driven job where I work at my own pace but ultimately responsible to make sure my work is done in plenty of time to communicate the needs of the client to the operational parts of the resort. Plenty of hands on communication with other departments to insure that the program runs as planned when the clients are on-site. Requires constant communication with the client in pre-planning and when on-site. So working weekends is part of the job. But one gets a great deal of satisfaction knowing a job well done at the end of the program. Much of the day is spent at a computer completing the required paperwork, sending E-mails or having phone contact with the clients. But the job also allows movement away from the desk to check on clients or converse with other departments. The hardest part of the job is the stress of being perfect, not only in myself but making sure others know what is expected of them. Best part is the friendships and trust building that occurs with working with clients for several months and then seeing the end result of that planning.
Pros
Flexible schedule, self motivated, my own boss so to speak
Cons
Stress, working with changes from upper management, and or poor initial work from sales force. Having to clean up other's mistakes
Loved everything about Marriott. The company culture is truly like no other, it's plain to see why there is so much longevity with the company.
Pros
Investment in staff
Cons
Limited opportunities in MA market
Professional Productive Fun Workplace Due to the start of the resort expansion adding the new convention space completion in 2017 the resort did not need a full staff of event managers they kept two event managers staff based on seniority.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
change healthcare plans every two years
* Typical day at work consists of conference calls, client site inspections, meeting with all hotel departments to go over the conferences coming in for the next three days, reviewing bills, entering program (Meeting specifications and food and beverage) into Marriott system to distribute banquet orders, conducting pre-convention or post-convention meetings. * I've learned to manage my time with all of the curve balls thrown at any given day * Management has made me want to be a better leader as they have been very supportive and motivating. * Co-workers are amazing, hard working people * The hardest part of my job is depending on other departments to execute what I've planned. Trust is huge. * The most enjoyable part of my job is planning a convention and watching it executed flawlessly, along with meeting several great people along the way.
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Long hours, work/life balance
Strong vision delivered from the company which is delivered in every customer interaction throughout
Loved my job, planning meetings, large events and weddings. Learned how to multi-task several events in one day.
Good work environment good Staff Nice management great training
Enjoyed the 20 plus years i worked with Marriott however ran into a hotel that didn't work out for me.
A lot of hard work and flexible schedule Great training opportunity
Marriott is one of the best companies to promote from within. Providing the best in hospitality and customer service. Co-workers worked as a team to meet expectations of the guests. Marriott allowed each employee the opportunity to make things right. Long hours during peak times. Working with guests and building lasting relationships was one of the best parts of this job. Knowing in advance what makes your guest experience the best.
Pros
provide exeptional opportunity for growth, great benefits
Cons
some leaders did not welcome positive attitudes