Maxi Zoo

Maxi Zoo Employee Reviews

Ireland22 reviews
good
It was a very nice place to work, the other employees were nice, welcoming and pleasant to work with. I worked here for 6 months and enjoyed it very much.
hardworking and easy adaptation
hardworking person and eager to start contributing, I like teamwork, fellowship, I take work very seriously, always on time, and willing to be at any time of the day, disciplined, and kind to the staff, I will give the best of My for the company, and for my learning in general, I get on fast at work
Fantastic place
I absolutely loved working here. It was amazing. It was relaxed and straightforward. I work best on my own so loved that I would be given a task to do and could just go and do it by myself without feeling like I had management standing over my shoulder.
ok
it was a good work experience for a person who had not done any work up until the.Good people to work with always had a very open and helpful environment
nice work environment
the staff were friendly and I found it was a good environment to work in- the work wasn't too challenging and it was great to talk to customers about their pets!
Nice colleagues
A lot of pression to reach target, rude management, messy workplace and not guaranteed minimum of hours per week
Pros
Work in an animal related job, lots of training
Cons
Bad management
Productive, friendly, helpful
Friendly and helpful place to work. Thorough and very good training provided, particularly on products and customer service. Accommodating management and a stress-free environment to work in.
Would never recommend
Crazy targets, crazy hours or if you keep getting low target you will lose hours. Some friendly and non friendly staff. HQ Doesn't care about you only targets
Pros
non
Cons
Soo many
Save your nervs. Head Office DOESN'T CARE
MZ shops lost soo many good employees, HQ and some management don't care a litte. If you get low target which is usual thing, they will put pressure on you and some of them even threat you that you will lose your job.
If you get your job there. GOOD LUCK! HQ have sweet words for beginners.

More targerts by each year.

Many Years ago there was amazing bonuses every 3 months, discount on everything, normal targets. But that is ALL gone.

Now- Forced to sell "active selling" at the till,

- Need to push MZ brands,

- HQ is willing to cut your or shop hours for having bad sales

- After closing, count that you will stay for at least another 25 min

unpayed and plus same for shop opening.

- Bonus? still a mystery from 2017

- Be careful of Mystery Shoppers, you get easy in trouble for

small things from the HQ and some management

- Sick day? carefull with that, being in the hospital is bad excuse
Pros
Is there any?
Cons
Mice infestation in some shops, HQ don't care, More targets by each year, If you are sick good luck with that, Be ready to do thing that is not your job
excellent workplace
I worked closely with cusomers, helping with all areas of petcare needs. I looked after small animals and helped with feeding and care

the job required me to have a positive attitude, and to work as part of a team. I needed to be adaptable, and be willing to expand and learn new skills - such as feeding exotic pets.

my problem solving skills also became an asset, as I dealt with customers with many different pet care problems. I was polite and always professional even when under pressure or tired.

my new retail knowledge allowed me confidence to help customers, always adhering to shop policy and protocals
Pros
working with animals
Cons
Very nice business and good people to work with
my typical day in maxi zoo would contain me having to do many different tasks such as putting stock on the shelves, sweeping the floor, getting rid of excess cardboard with there compactor, feeding fish and cleaning the fish tanks, greeting customers as they would enter and unloading stock when it would come into the store.
Pros
nice people
Cons
5 hour shift 30 minute break then another 2 hour shift
Great place to work.
As this was a work experience it was my first time working in the retail sector. I learned a lot about stock control, order taking. The management were very helpful and explained every aspect of the company to me. The culture within the company was very driven with targets and goals to achieve. I was encouraged to try all aspects of work within the company as it was a work experience. The hardest part of the job was when the store was quiet but I kept busy by sweeping the floors, fronting off shelves, taking stock out of the store room and filling the shelves, checking prices and talking to customers. I found the experience of dealing with the public and customers to be the most enjoyable part of the job. It was challenging dealing with customers who didn't know what they wanted as it was a way of learning myself.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
None that I experienced
Fun workplace salary should be higher for the work that needs to be done
I enjoyed working in maxi zoo looking after customers and their pets was just brilliant for me but their Is no guidance at all from management and no respect from head office workers need a lot more respect in maxi zoo
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Long hours with underpaid wages
Not recommended!
Horrible place to work! No body cares about staff! Managers are doing whatever they want, come and leave whenever they want and they are still paid full hours.Even if you tell managment or head office that you have some problem or you've been mistreated they just don't care. They said they help you but they will not!
Pros
If you are lucky to work with some nice person.
Cons
Everything.
Learning workplace
This was also work experience project for my school when I was in transition year in 2012. Maxi Zoo is a pet shop , sells food , toys. Animals like cats , dogs , hamsters and reptiles. It was a learning facility so I didn't get paid but I got a teddy and chocolates when I finished my weeks of work.

My typical day in Maxi Zoo was cleaning. I would have to clean the canteen area like the counters , microwave. Then I would be even the task to hoover the stairs which were concrete. Other days i would be given the task to show customers where food is or stocking shelves or putting "sorry sold out " sign where they ran out.

I got on really well with the staff. The manager would buy me McDonald's apple pie one day which was very nice of her.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Cleaning for first time was boring
Easy to work with
The hours for the most part went around my own schedule and was a very enjoyable place to work. I would be able to come in and take what needed to be done and then go do it in my own time.
Over Worked, Underpaid
Minimum Wage, Minimum Respect.
I have spend years studying and thousands on courses however I am treated just the same as someone who walks in the door who has zero level of expertise.

9 hour shifts with one 30 minute break.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Long Hours, Short Breaks, Unpaid Overtime
Work Experience
I enjoyed working in Maxi Zoo, It was a new experience for me working there. I enjoyed working with the staff and learned about animals too. The customers were very nice and my cleaning skills were excellent. It was long hours but it was a chance to see what the work industry is like.
Pros
free apple pie from mcdonalds from boss
Cons
first thing in morning clean out small Animals, feed and clean fish house, Count my till and beginning speaking with customers and helping them with any nutrition questions they may have
Pros
30 percent off own brand foods
Productive, educational work place, very demanding hours
This includes training in pet nutrition, crate/clicker/lead/collar/harness training, dog and cat care training. It also includes training on tills and customer service.. I am trained to clean the animal enclosures; this includes, emptying and filling the cages of small animals and birds, animal handling, feeding, medicating sick or injured animals, socialising.
I also give customer advice on what to buy or any problems they may be having with their given animal.
Fun workplace but long hours
Shifts long but customers good to deal with. Possible opportunity to work up in the company. Salary palatable.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Short lunch breaks