Mowlam Healthcare Employee Reviews

A lovely athmosphere , friendly , management always willingly helps out. Great support
Healthcare assistant (Former Employee) –  Castletroy, County Limerick7 November 2019
Worked as a healthcare assistant . Made so many friends . Loved the buzz and the friendliness of the home. Management always on the floor , helped out if we were stuck she has great banter with us but we knew as well not to cross the line with her. Families were grateful and thanked us , then there was the difficult family members that just made work difficult but we were always supported by DON. We understood we would have the bad days but the good would over ride the bad
All in all fabulous care team and I enjoyed working there .
Pros
Helpful management, free dinner, friendships
Cons
Salary, difficult family members
stressful understaffed, no time to care for residents properly
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adare, County Limerick1 November 2019
If people really knew what went on in this place there would be uproar... these nursing homes make so much money a year and cant be bothered to hire a few more staff to ease staff work load a little and so that residents are cared for properly... health care assistants get paid so little and expected to do everything (housekeeping, kitchen work, the lot...) some nurses help most don't... management treat you like your nothing... they push staff over the edge never listening... I miss the residents I cared for so much but if I stayed there any longer I would have made myself sick from stress... god the poor residents there really don't get the care they deserve... some great care assistants there trying there 110% a day but there is so little of them... some of the managers there would shock you as to how useless they are at there job...
It’s not a bad nursing home
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway30 September 2019
The nursing home itself was nice, great food and staff was well looked after by the kitchen, however.....level of work was not shared between the nurses and carers equally, carers do all the work along with the SCPs, there was also bullying going on there which was very upsetting to see
Misleading Employer
SOCIAL CARE PRACTITIONER (Former Employee) –  Kilcolgan, County Galway11 August 2019
Everyone who gets hired here regardless of their job title is forced to become a healthcare assistant. There are twow sister who run the show, even the manager is overshadowed by them. The nursing given to the residents is poor and this is always under staffed. They are always hiring because no one wants to stay.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Extremely long hours, lack of morale
Official response from Mowlam Healthcare
19 August 2019

Thank you for your feedback.

We would love the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail, if you could please email recruitment@mowlamhealthcare.com with your details and we will get in contact with you directly.

Fastpace and enjoyable
Staff Nurse, The Lakes Nursing Home (Former Employee) –  Lakes Nursing Home, Hill Rd, Killaloe, Co. Clare26 June 2019
I work on the first floor: Typical staff ratio would be 2 nurses (one short day, other long) for 33 residents (might change because of discharge) and 4 HCAs. Handover and delegation in the morning, then after 8am, morning personal cares and breakfast feeds till 9-9.30am, subsequently morning medication rounds. One nurse goes on her morning break (15mins) while the other nurse stays on the floor and does some diary duties. Other nurse supervises the floor and maybe gets someone up who was sleeping earlier and is now ready, whilst 1st nurse goes on her break (15mins).
Midday handover; short day nurse does her nursing notes after, long day nurse maybe does some dressings, takes some obs as per the GP and some diary duties.
1pm lunch time - each nurse does a feed then subsequently afternoon meds. Short-day nurse leaves at 2pm. Long day nurse goes on her 30min lunch break preferably within 2-3pm. Comes back to tries and complete the diary duties. Afterwards long day nurse does her nursing notes, update careplans and wound charts, in the middle might be things going on on the floor. Tries to complete notes at 5pm or before 5pm as you have a whole floor to give evening meds to yourself. During your med rounds, the doctor might come and completely tears apart your whole structured day lol (DON and manager have left at this point). Then afterwards you'll need to call pharmacy, fax the script for the order, bring blister packs that are for changing to their collection points for the pharmacy driver.
At this stage you're panicking, you're looking at the clock and swearing multiple
  more... times in your head trying to administering all these meds on time.. Everyone has basically gone for their evening break at this point - Who cares for evening break anyways, right?! It's only 15mins, you've got so much stuff to complete. Morning to mid-day was going all smoothly then it all came crashing down! D:
Then afterwards, let's say at 07.20pm, you're adding your final notes and stocking up on the drug trolley for the night nurse (you have to go downstairs for this, I'm always breathless lol).. On a good day, I'll finish at almost 07.40pm then you see night staff rolling in the door (not literally obviously), relax and give the quickest handover you've ever given and run out that door haha

As I was just newly graduated as an intellectual disability nurse and wanted to increase my acute nursing skills, I must say the company really helped me in consolidating my skills. Even the skills that I haven't learnt yet, I was always taught and given the freedom with support around me from my nursing colleagues and CNM. As I was furthering on my education in Adult Nursing, the experience made me more confident going into it.

The workplace culture is very different and hostile at time, especially if short-staffed. There are senior HCAs that have been working there a long time who have their set ways in doing things and as a junior nurse it's a challenge to not want to make enemies to change that pattern. I have learnt once you've explained things more clearly and your colleagues are willing to adjust to you too, over time it becomes easier. It's a team effort working with the resident. Management are not efficient enough at handling staff shortage or staff sickness that someone else has to handle it, maybe it might not be the nurse.. I'm just going to leave it at that

But overall, I always enjoyed going into work, the residents made it fun and enjoyable. I always enjoy seeing the interaction and the craic between the SCPs, activities co-ordinator and the residents whenever they have a new acitivity, it always puts me in good humour, even when I'm extremely busy. During the day it's very difficult spend 1:1 time with each person. As my background is intellectual disability, it found it hard to come to terms with but I had to adapt in making my 5 mins with them impactful and effective.
Pros
Free meals, good salary
Cons
Management and being short-staffed
not a good place
Ballincollig - Healthcare assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballincollig, County Cork11 March 2019
mind blowing how this place is still running the management system here is crazy lots of orders from the top and no follow through from them. lots of workers here just to get the hours and not really there for the love of the job.
Pros
longtime friendships
Cons
long hours, huge workload from management
Experience
Student Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork9 February 2018
This was only work experience, I never worked as an employee here only as a student .. but really enjoyed my time there ...................................
Poor Management
Clinical Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin24 May 2017
I worked ifor almost 2 years. Poor Management among other reasons why I leftl. There is no support,. Very poor staff morale. Safety concerns, poor sloppy nursing. Two senior Managers resigned within 3 months
Pros
unfortunately there were none
Cons
Everything about the Management Structures
Good Workplace
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin8 April 2017
It's really good to work at Mowlam Healthcare. The team there are friendly and accommodating .The atmosphere was good and made me feel comfortable .
Pros
Free Lunch
The Environment is very positive
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  cork5 October 2013
I can work any day, there is no issue with me working on weekends or bank holidays

The Environment is very positive, I learned in very professionally how to deal with elderly and specially dementia patients, I get the training of Manual Handling, Cpr, Fire Safety, dementia, Infection Control, s Elder Abuse. Which was very Helpful for me as well and it makes me updates and I am providing more quality care to the residents who they are living in a nursing home.

The Management is very Good, I recently Promoted to Senior Healthcare Assistant, the Appreciation is very Highly Ranked.

My Cor-Worker are very helpful, we work like as team, too many hands and ideas make the things so easy, and plus the nursing home policy as well, we all are using Communication book, which makes us more perfect.

The Hardest Part is if I am following the Nursing Home policy, and the patient don't like it.It put me in the very tough situation.

When Everybody is happy and giving thanks, This is the Biggest Reward and Enjoyed when the elder or disabled person remembered your name and your work particularly looking for you.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours