NEXT Employee Reviews

Ireland113 reviews

Found 113 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,015 reviews

Productive and fun work place

I worked in next for 4 months during the summer and I absolutely loved it! Of course the customers were rude at times but that is retail for you. Everyone is super kind and it’s an incredibly collaborative environment to work in! I would’ve liked to work longer but since its far from where I live, it was really only a summer job. The only con I have about working in next was that the pay is not that good, it could be better. But overall, I really enjoyed working in next and the amazing colleagues I worked with.

Nice work environment and Coworkers

Enjoyed my time working at the company however management was a big issue. Chasing after what you’re owed isn’t fun. Coworkers made it worthwhile but at the end of the day they don’t pay your bills you know.

Very tiring

Very poor management and bad pay for all the work they expect you to do. The employees are very nice and helpful. Inadequate training as well, you are just put on the floor without training.

Pros

Nice employees

Cons

poor management, bad pay, understaffed

Nice place to work

Nice place to work, very busy during sale periods and staff are nice but seem to change around a lot. Would work there again if the opportunity arose.

Stressful unorganised throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't train them properly works not paid on time or never paid. The workers are nice but the company does not care for the employees.

Pros

Cons

Long Hours stressful understaffed

Very fun, nice staff

Very fun, Worked there for 3 months, Good pay, didn’t leave because of anything to do with the job so that’s a bonus.

Pros

Good pay

Good workplace

Not so many hours per week. I always had between 25-30. But the thing I liked the most is that you can offer your shift to someone else or pick up shifts from someone. Overall, ok company. Managers were nice.

Don't even pay their staff

New staff were not getting paid, management didn't seem to care. Had to constantly ask for hours to be updated on employee portal. Management often ignoring these requests.Terrible company to work for.

Pros

Cons

Not being paid

Fast paced and great environment.

Great starting point in retail. Staff were all very welcoming and helpful. You have the opportunity to grow in your position and take on more responsibilities. Sales periods can be stressful but everyone pulls together and gets it done.

Stressful and draining

The removal of bonus, lack of incentives to progress in the company and high workload has really created a low morale among staff. As someone who has worked on the sales floor and progressed to management level, I had personally stepped down due to the high expectations, stress and low pay given to managers in Irish retail stores. Next need to take experience into consideration and treat their staff better, there is no incentive anymore to move up in Next

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Low pay, unsociable hours, passive aggressive management

Terrible place to worrk

Next is one of the worst places I've ever worked. No training is provided and then when you ask a question, you are met with hostility. I dreaded going to work everyday. Management is one of the worst I've come across. Rude, unhelpful and make you feel like you shouldn't be asking for help. I often had managers sigh at me when I asked a question, or they hung up the phone! The salary is awful - minimum wage doesn't match with all the work that has to be done. I was miserable when I was working here. Absolutely would not recommend.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, salary, hours, staff

Each for their own attitude

Ruthless HR that dismiss on smallest of issues or manage staff out the door. Quite discriminitive management in stores. Very little support from hierarchy if problems occur from difficult clientele.

Pros

25% discount.

Cons

Lack of support.

Stressful and Uncultured Workplace

The Management running this place is a worst in the region, they don't care for the employees at all. Racist culture, ill treatment by store Manager, Lack of professionalism.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Long work hours, no work life balance, No appreciation for your efforts, Racism

Bad management

Next as a company are fine, it's management that need work. People get manager jobs when they are with the company a long time and not how they can actually manage people. The manager I had drove all long term members of staff out of the company. She is obviously an unhappy person and it come out in the way she manages people. All other staff were lovely

Productive workplace

At Next, I had stocked up sale items to ensure that the products were available for customers to buy. I worked very quickly, and I helped customers who had questions regarding items.

A micro-managed catastrophe.

Working at Next began somewhat wonderfully and one settled in pretty quickly to the routine and working with other members of staff. The fellow staff members, all wonderful. And that included lower management. On a higher level, it was much different. However, a change in management quickly turned things upside down. Micro-management seemed to be the order of the day as the store manager no longer took the reigns and left the entire workload to sales managers and staff. It was soon pretty obvious by the number of those leaving the job, something was amiss. It is difficult to work in an environment when the manager ignores the staff's call for change in bonuses (or a lack thereof), in favour of defending the company "who work hard to keep us in a job in the first place" and already pay us enough. It is easy to understand why a manager who was earning in excess of €10+ an hour more than the staff, who are on minimum wage, to defend such actions of the higher authorities in the company. The company uses poor excuses constantly to cut bonuses. A "tech refresh" to the entire company system was meant to improve how bonuses were allocated. However, one could only see the system cut bonuses left, right and centre. When management were approached, staff were told the system never lies, despite staff adhering to instructions given by the company themselves on how to achieve such figures. No matter how hard one worked, it was never enough. When it was enough, the company investigated how such high figures were hit and threatened to cut bonuses accordingly. There was no leeway. -

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Poor management, poor wages, lack of good structured (paying) bonuses

Poor management

Next was my first retail job and I’ve learn a lot about the fashion industry and customers service. Salary is good and the paid holidays. Store and floor managers were very rude and they were never on floor to help! Nepotism was a big thing in the shop, too many family and friends were favourites. Managers were gossiping about other staff. It was a toxic environment.

Sold my Soul

My contract was 15 hours per week but every week I'm constantly being told to work 30+ hours while only on a part-time contract. Management is extremely tough on you from the first day, what you do will never be good enough and no staff takes the time to train you, you are just thrown in on your own. 4 weeks notice when leaving, 4 weeks to book holidays which most likely get rejected when requested and there is no sick pay.

8.5 hours a week at Next allow me to enjoy flexible hours.

Review was based on hours work per week. If I could have more hours may be the weekly take home would have been more. Working with Next over the years has helped my understanding in Retail business and made it possible for me to build myself.

Tough

Great team, management tough, nothing ever good enough, no advancement, very slow days, not enough staff to cover all areas, needed to be in more than one place at any time

Good team 👍

Great place to work good team friendly atmosphere enjoyable work 😊 good company fine fine good working perks ie uniform Realy enjoyed working there aaa

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NEXT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement