Nielsen
Coronavirus update
Information from Nielsen:

Nielsen Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Chicago, IL51 reviews
Get in there for 2-5 years experience, learning so much about data and the industry then get out. Many layoffs, constantly reducing teams and promoting only the favorites. The good news is you will make connections that end up everywhere else for your next job.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Clients vary, one literally said she owned me
Great place to start your career, not the best to end it. What else does this system want me to write? Still not enough? Here is more...wow it's still going. Finally
I've worked at Nielsen for 6 months, and their PTO policy, management, and general work culture is par none. If I have any complaints, it's that Nielsen can be slow and inefficient.
Pros
PTO policy, benefits, relaxed workplace
16 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We’re happy to hear that you’re having a great overall experience so far! We encourage you to meet with your manager and/or HR Business Partner to share any specific ideas you have about ways we can improve and innovate. We are always looking for opportunities to grow.
No work life balance. Expected to work nights and weekends. Rework frequently required due to lack of training, Caters more to millenniums, Communication.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Nielsen provided a ton of opportunity for growth early in my career, however as I moved ahead seeking advancement opportunities I came up short due to the leaning out of the organization.
It’s like owning your own business! You meet people from all over the city and the Midwest! There are opportunities to swat live in a hotel and travel make extra money!
16 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Membership Representative. We are happy to hear that you are you having a great Nielsen experience. We love having you as part of the Nielsen Family!
Great place to work. Such a large organization with many facets to the business and opportunities to grow your knowledge and career. Excellent leadership and diversity programs. Manager are hit or miss at every company - I've had good ones, some have had bad. The overall company is exciting if you love solving problems for clients and have a deep passion for data.
Pros
Incredible flexibility; balanced WFH/in-office culture; service days; ERGs; Emphasis on diversity
Cons
Trying to improve old systems; transition period; evolving in challenging marketplace
9 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We’re happy to hear that you’re having a great Nielsen experience so far!
New CEO is not running company well, only came onboard to slash jobs.

Long hours, expected to work whatever hours, holidays, weekends, to get the work done.
Pros
Health & dental benefits are good.
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance, no appreciate from managers for working hard & knowledge, new CEO is in to slash jobs and reduce costs, no position is safe.
- Management staff allocates 60+% to meetings
- Opportunity to work in a global environment

- Diversity is important and respected

- Employee engagement is encouraged

- Flexible hours to align with personal schedule for some positions

- Salary adjustments are based on the philosophy of meritocracy

- Employees are a strong asset
Pros
Healthcare and benefits
Cons
Work / Life balance
The first 75 percent of my time at Nielsen was filled with learning opportunities, promotions and a supportive management structure. They practiced what they preached in terms of wanting to be an 'academy company' and developing their associates appropriately. The other 25 percent (which happens to be the most recent 25 percent) have sadly been filled with layoffs and a 'new guard' who do not hold to the same ideals. Nielsen's business model is being attacked at all angles, and it has not responded particularly well. New CEO as of December 2018 is saying the right things, but it remains to be seen how he will right the ship.
Nielsen is a good company to learn statistics, data businesses and consulting management. Thanks all I can say about this place, learnt a lot and got a career.
Personally, I did not enjoy working at Nielsen. Each of the business units are extremely ciloed and the culture is quite combative. The needs of the employees were ignored and it still seemed as if the organization was where it had been when it started years ago.
Busy, adhoc requests, last minute requirements, fire drills, busy and productive day, team meetings, flexible culture, challenges; forecasting, analysis.
I gained good Financial background and strengthened my accounting skills at Nielsen. I enjoy working in the FP&A team and support Budgeting and Forecasting for the US Retail Finance Teams.
Great Place to work and grow your career and skill set. The Chicago office has a lot of great talent.

For me its a place where the best tech tool wins the day. I get to explore various Open Source projects that fix a wide variety of issues.

It's a Developers paradise!
Pros
Happy hour every Thursday
Cons
For a contractor it's feast or famine.
The perfect example of a very good company going south.
Management strategic decisions are changing too often to adapt to.

People including management are let go or leave do get to be backfield which pushing those who stay to work more to cover. Life-work balance is lost so is trust and confidence.
While the company strives for work-life balance, this, along with the culture, management and opportunities vary greatly by group. However, remote opportunities are available.
Great company has lost its way. This used to be a great company however over the past few years the company has lost its way. Hopefully, it can recover.
Challenged me daily. Development opportunities currently minimal, but abundant in the past. Lack of leadership and management communication on company direction. Unclear long term goals and direction.
Nielsen is a great place to learn and have on your resume. But over the past few years, business has been soft leading to many layoffs. and organizational changes. While a great place to learn due to the broad and unique capabilities it has to offer, this lack of company stability creates a lot of stress and job insecurity among it's clients.
Pros
Diversity of positions and Clients. Unique data to work with.
Cons
Job Security, bonus structure, leadership
Nielsen provides the right individual, the opportunity to completely immerse themselves into all aspects of consumer measurement, media and purchasing data.
Pros
Superior data, diverse workplace, meritocricy
Cons
Nielsen's continued relavancy in today's changing marketplace.