Nielsen
Coronavirus update
Information from Nielsen:

Nielsen Employee Reviews for Membership Representative

Membership Representative79 reviews
Job focuses on meeting a quota. They are very supportive and assist whenever possible. As long as you are successful in meeting quotas, you control your time and various locations.

I found it virtually impossible to meet the quotas.
I worked my butt off for nearly a year for this company and it was not possible to meet the goals they set for you. Instead of not only not receiving commission, they put you on a track to fire you.
Pros
Dictate your work day.
Cons
nights and weekends so say goodbye to life as you know it.
The company makes millions per account, while employees are discarded based on numbers of homes signed up. Many territories are notorious for having poor sign up numbers because of the demographic not because of the sales person
Good Benefits, You must be the very best for good compensation. Management Staff is not forward thinking to make a difference. There are many great people at Nielsen.
Door to door sales is tough so understand that before going into this role. The job is overall simple if you put in the time and effort but compensation is low, too low to be walking around in dangerous neighborhoods.
Nielsen is a great organization and training is top notch. Was sent to Tampa Fl for training and had a great experience. The job of membership rep was not a good fit for me but may be for others, The job is knocking doors in defined areas and engaging household members with key demographic questions to get a match, if they match then you go into you presentation about being a Neilsen family and how to participate, Neilsen offers $50-100 gift card to set up their devices on all TV's to catch a code on what the family watch. I was told the average monthly commission was $1500 this was way off, more like $300-$400 per month with a base of $34000 - $38000 and a company car. So in all not a bad job but the door knocking was a grind. Just not a good fit for me at the time.
22 November 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate the work you did as a Membership Representative. We have made recent improved changes to our salary and performance-based bonus structure based on feedback from our organization.
The hours are horrible; you are required to work evenings and weekends. The work that you get assigned is most likely old addresses which are just getting recycle back into the system for the next new group of test dummies.
22 November 2019
We are disappointed to hear you did not have a positive Nielsen experience and appreciate the feedback as it allows us the opportunity to improve, evolve and grow. The Membership Representative role is not for everyone, but it is the right role for the right person. The role requires evening and occasional weekend hours as those hours are when we are best able to connect with prospective panelists.
Nielsen is a great place to work, one is adequately paid but the work can be very demanding. It may not be quite racially diverse at management level but it is certainly diverse at the field personnel level.
22 November 2019
We appreciate you and the work that you did as a Membership Representative! Membership Representatives are the face of Nielsen and a crucial role!
I worked here a year and a half. Neilsen is owned by stock holders who meet to discuss how they can put more money in their pockets, so they always want to pay you less. That said, Nielsen does not care about their employees at all. They care about stock holders and clients and nobody else. Nielsen pays far below the market, so they can not afford to hire smart managers, they get low hanging fruit for both lower and upper management. I often laughed out loud at the decisions they made! Even if you are one of the best, they do not protect you or give you enough work so you will not make any money or bonuses.They have people come from all around the country to help and they give those visiting workers priority and don't care about their own local reps. It was the hardest job I ever had and I was good at it. But nobody noticed or cared, because they expected you to make miracles out of their bad decisions - squeeze bllod out of a rock. They blame you for everything the company does wrong. If the sky is not blue enoughm, it will be your fault. They expect you to take calls all times of night and day, morning meetings and work until 9 or 10 pm and jump when they say "how high". Management is ignorant, low pay. zero work-life balance, and nobody cares about employees, you are a number, and they think, "easily replaced". They will not value you. /they use you up.
28 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We understand that a healthy work-life balance is essential to the success of our associates, and we strive to maintain a culture that values people’s overall well-being. We are disappointed to hear that this was not your experience. We will take your feedback into consideration as we continue to work on creating the best working environment for everyone.
It’s like owning your own business! You meet people from all over the city and the Midwest! There are opportunities to swat live in a hotel and travel make extra money!
16 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Membership Representative. We are happy to hear that you are you having a great Nielsen experience. We love having you as part of the Nielsen Family!
Working at Nielsen was an adventure. It is definitely hard work and dedication. You get bonuses for excelling. You must be able to have excellent organization skills and time management. You must be able to work independently and keep task at hand and not lose focus, stay committed to your goals of recruiting. You must have confidence, be brave, in addition to self-motivated and able to persuade others. You must possess a sense of wittiness and be able to determine certain situations.
16 September 2019
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your contributions as a Membership Representative. We are happy to hear that you had a great Nielsen experience. Our Field roles are the faces of Nielsen in our local communities and at the core of what we do. We acknowledge the job is tough and not for everyone. For many, the Membership Representative role is a great fit and a great role that offers them great rewards! Thank you for sharing your perspective on what the role takes as they are spot on with what it takes!
The job was great. It demands discipline and a go getter attitude. The office staff and co workers were outstanding and enjoyed my position at this company.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Supervisor
9 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear that you had a great Nielsen employee experience!
If you try to complain about a Nielsen racist manager who uses a racial slur to HR, you will get retiallated against and fired. HR top management will help cover things up and ignore complants and ignore things and even though they said they will keep things secret will go against you and fire you working with a racist manager who tweets racist things.
Nielsen has a great corporate culture and makes changes quickly for the benefit of and suggestions of employees. The Membership Sales Representative position is ideal for candidates with a true “Hunter” mentality and attitude. That attitude with a good work ethic will bring success!
9 September 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience as a Membership Representative. We are thrilled to hear that you are you having a great Nielsen experience. We appreciate your hard work and love having you as part of the Nielsen Family!
Must be able to work independently-
Must be able to approach strangers-

Must be able to sell the concept of capturing others TV viewing

You will receive a company vehicle, office supplies and all equipment necessary for the job. You also will attend paid training.
22 July 2019
I have been very happy at Nielsen, and many of my family members have the same experience. The business is tough and very competitive but the company knows how to take care of its people.
1 July 2019
Easiest job I ever had...probably too easy.

Also came to the realization that I'm not fond of knocking on doors, and that is what you are doing for the better part of each day.

Bottom line, for the right person, this could be their dream job come true.
Pros
Perks aplenty!
Cons
Jerks aplenty! j/k...job just wasn't for me.
24 June 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback and the work you did as a Membership Representative. Working as a Membership Representative at Nielsen is a crucial role and it is the right role for the right person. The Membership Representative role requires someone who is personable, passionate and persuasive. Successful and thriving Membership Representatives have GRIT, can roll their sleeves up to do hard work, and find ways to overcome common objections presented by prospective panelists. That is why here at Nielsen we fully appreciate the work our Membership Representatives do!
This job is not for e everyone, but its perfect if you are competitive and a self go getter! The potential to make money is limitless once you learn the process. Must be a people person who is open to go anywhere and learn the importance of the job.
Pros
Benefits, Pay and flexible schedule
Cons
The door to door process
24 June 2019
Nielsen offers its employees excellent benefits including Company Cars for travel in your territory and a certain percentage for personal use. Management is engaged and supportive and training is excellent. Sales targets are ambitious and not always matched to your geographic territory. Metropolitan areas offer the greatest opportunity for success. Great way to meet a very diverse population and lots of windshield time in rural areas.
Pros
Great for a "People Person", excellent benefits, decent pay
Cons
Ambitious Sales Targets, working in Outside Sales means being outdoors in all kinds of weather
25 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that your Nielsen experience was a positive one!
I have work at Nielsen almost 5 years now and have no complaints at all. I work flex hours also we get company car, cell phone , laptop and all resources to be successful. I have an incredible team to work an awesome manager. He is always willing to help and guide you to success. Some times job itself could be stressful as any other job out there.
Pros
Flex Hours
Cons
some stress
25 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear that you are having a great Nielsen experience so far! We appreciate the hard work you do as a Membership Representative.
Awesome company to work for, I love the way Nielsen care about their employees (we are family not employees). We have all the tools and equipment we need to be successful we also have very flexible hours. The manager care for his workers and want us to be successful on what we do, always there for us, what I like the most is that manager treats everyone the same and listen to our needs. We have opportunity to advance within the company . I have worked in 4 companies during my life, NIELSEN has been the best company I have ever work for. Manager recognizes and reward all the effort we put on what we do to meet our goals. Overall, very fun company to work for, you interact and meet different people as you get to travel to different places within the state.
Pros
Benefits and rewards
Cons
Some stress
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nielsen. Our community is ready to answer.