Nordstrom

Nordstrom Employee Reviews

Showing all 14,568 reviews

Very Competitive commission based environment

The company is one of the best ones in terms of opportunity of growth. There might be micro Management sometimes. Some of the policies might confront with your interests like achieving your sales goals. For instance, if you work in the cosmetics department, you have to offer free makeovers for the customers which will take a lot of your time without selling. But in the end of the day you will be asked to make your numbers. retail in general can be very stressful and tiring. If you are willing to do it though, Nordstrom will give you good experience.

Pros

Customer service experience

Cons

Standing on your feet for hours, sales goals pressure.

fun and relaxed yet professional work environment

i absolutely loved working here. the staff/management was amazing and there was open communication between everyone. it was a great experience & i love how reputable the company is and how they really strive for excellent customer service without putting employees on the back burner

Pros

good work environment

Tiring

I worked overnight. What I liked about it was that you work with two other people but really you’re in your own zone doing your work without being bothered, which I liked. What I hated was if you are a good employee and do your work at a fast speed, you end up doing most of the work because others go slower on purpose so they don’t have to do as much.

Worst company to work for

If you need something temporary cool but this is not a company you would want a career in or can move up in. They are money hungry insensitive and they do not care about their employees.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Micro managing terrible schedule bad communication terrible pay

Fun workplace depending on who your management is

I worked in 2 departments total during my time here. My first department was friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Amazing environment! When I transferred upstairs, the environment was volatile. Management clearly had their favorites and there was no changing their minds no matter how well you did in sales. Workload was distributed unevenly amongst employees. Managers were very inconsiderate when it came to scheduling.

Productive and fun

work culture is great; diverse. Pretty easy and repetitive. teamwork is necessary to complete daily tasks at end of the shift. It's a lot of completing transactions, using discretion, and following store policy and cleanliness.

The pay was competitive/ The job is very physical

* typical day: The shoe dept. is very busy. It's a self service shoe dept. and customers can be very messy. *What I learned: We used a zebra phone, which was helpful in locating merchandise.*Management: Some managers were very supportive, other's not so much. Considering all the talk about diversity - which should include all workers - I felt a vibe that I was considered "white privilege" even though I was working in a retail environment. *culture: It's a discount store, so it's very fast paced and there's always something to do. *Hardest part of the job: 1. listening to the soundtrack - it's a lot of auto-tune, loud and annoying. If you like real music, it may give you a headache. 2. The fitting room could be a bit more straightforward and easier to sort. It's a little convoluted. *Most enjoyable part of the job: The customers and management. I had some very strong managers that were concerned about employee success and not concerned about cliques.

Beautiful atmosphere and wonderful customers

I had worked for Nordstrom for 7 years . I made lots of friends there and had the pleasure of helping some really wonderful customers. But retail is changing, and meeting some the goals and expectations are challenging.In order to earn a good salary, to have to really give it more than your allotted hours.

Not a place for growth

Can be hard to grow. You hit a sealing and you just don't have anywhere to go.If you do well your coworkers hate youIf you don't do well you get in trouble by your boss…

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Career growth, toxic environment

Temporary position

I worked there when it was getting built on the inside a few months are we opened they let me go, the people were cool but the managers weren’t that great one especially would be very aggressive towards me and it definitely wasn’t enough money for the work at the time.

They will work you like they own you.

I worked for Nordstrom for over 30 years. at first I did like working there but as the years went by and the physical pain started from all the heavy lifting with no help most of the time. it starts to slow you down and starts affecting your work performance. I can say one good thing about working at Nordstrom I did meet some amazing people who are no longer employed there. I felt stuck in a place where I didn't want to be.

Pros

401k house 20 discount

Cons

not interested in how you feel or what you think or how they can make your work easier for you.

Fun place to work

Great atmosphere with great perks. In my opinion/experience, it takes way too long to be considered for promotion.(this was almost 10 years ago) Most roles that aren’t operational, have no growth unless you’re in a program. If you’re in logistics or operations, you can move around or up fairly quickly, but most people are happy in role.

great company bad hours

great company! but i had no life lol. no weekends off and radomy work until 2 am to set up for events! didnt have the choice to not do the set up.management was all over the place. i didnt get trained properly for my posotion and yet they still expected me to thrive.

Great company to work for, if I didn’t have to leave due to personal reasons I would still be there. Would love to go back one day.

Loved this job. Managers are understanding, work is manageable. Makes employees feel appreciated. Discount is pretty good and you get it for the Nordstrom spa, coffee shop, & cafe!

Good for Temporary Positions

I took the Logistic Processor job mainly because I wanted to keep up with the demand of web orders and participate in the Anniversary Sale. It's a pretty important job for those who need a backup job in case their career plans don't start out smooth. Especially if you're an artist, but you need a main source of income.The job is repetitive yet easy to catch up on. The training system is pretty solid, you get a tour with experience in working with others to train you. Sometimes, you have to be by yourself and try to use your judgment to work when things get busy. For pay, it's pretty good for younger people who are in highschool or part-time college. Or for those like me, who graduated college and live with their parents, hoping to save up for furthering education or moving out.Hours can get cut depending on how busy or slow the production is going. And it's very competitive.

Pros

Good pay, Easy Job, Long Breaks, Cultured

Cons

A bit disorganized, little chance of promotion

Management plays favorite

You would have to give your all and be the best employee, win the company recognition award and never get acknowledged by the management. ADMs have huge egos and can easily be bruised if you professionally disagree. Absolutely 0 support from the managers, they just care about stirring up more drama.

Pros

Employee discounts

Cons

No growth, favoritism, manipulation, drama

Decent company to work

I didn't like the job, or yhe dynamic at the location I worked. Might be great for the younger crowd, I just didn't clique well with the group here, which is why I left.

Salesperson/retail manager

Sales metrics are the most important to management. Lots of different customer relationships nurtured over time that give more fulfillment and meaning, rather than just pure selling.Every day is different.

good place to work

Good place to work and the culture is there. If you want to move up you may have to move locations and then you are allowed to transfer back. Overall a good place to work

Some Cheap customers and commission sales are harsh

The company dynamics of commission goes a step up they rate you against each other , numerically, on what you made that day. Making an already competitive culture even more which is good for the company, but not as a team. There have been fights on the floor just about everyday. People who have worked there for years don’t want anyone else there. Some customers are entitled and want all your attention when usually it’s understaffed. Most customers are fine if not wonderful, but some are very cheap and high maintenance. The Managment is awesome though. Overworked and underpaid;. However, there are worse jobs.

Sell credit cards or no hours

Working here was very disappointing, if you weren't making a certain amount of credit cards, they treated you like a liability. I've worked here since before the pandemic, even the work from home job before some stores were open, and I always felt like at any point they would find a reason to fire me. For 3 years I stressed about working there, the co workers/ management were stuck up and if you didn't dress a certain way, you'd be treated less than. Please think twice about your mental health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nordstrom. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement
  • Nordstrom
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?