NortonLifeLock

NortonLifeLock Employee Reviews for Software Engineer

Software Engineer45 reviews
Located in the heart of technology center and positioned as the best security technology provider, Symantec has a lot of edges over other small software workshops. But Symantec also suffers from lack of technical innovation and development process management.
Pros:
Good work life balance.

Flexible working hours

Good employee benefits like stocks, meal pass n medical reimbursement. All these come apart from salary. So take come will be higher in Symantec

Cons

Job security is a nightmare

Free press
Amazing company,
Amazing environment,

Less politics,

Easy to gain visibility if you are talented,

People respect you for your work

Excellent Pay and Perks.
Helped to improve my IT knowledge as a fresher
Good working culture and flexibility in working

Good in learning latest technology along with Hands on experience
The company has good work environment, but upper management team seems to be in hurdle all the time. Normally an engineer would need to all kinds of works: front end, backend, testing, etc.
Symantec is no longer a company that innovates (if it ever did). It exists to purchase other companies and clumsily shoe-horn their products into the borg.

The board of directors makes bad decisions a habit and can't keep C-level executives for more than a year or two at a time. After 6+ years, the only thing I have been able to count on here is the inevitability of being laid off. Each year I've worked here I've seen multiple layoffs and excellent employees let go.

I have had excellent direct managers and great team members, but senior management and above have no foresight and make big changes for arbitrary reasons. Typically they end up reversing the bad decision and then reversing again to something dumber than the previous idea. Everything is done based on short-term gain for shareholders and the board.

If you work incredibly hard and have good managers, you will be adequately rewarded though.
Pros
great pay, discounts.
Cons
an ever looming fear of losing your job to make the stock go up a half of a half of a point.
Managers usually have been promoted to the position because good and competent people left.
Products are full of defects, while not much effort is put into improving them. Avoiding the defect fix gets sometimes to an unethical level.

Not recommended for you, if you are career minded.
Symantec India provides great salary perks to be very honest.
Work culture depends upon team to team, so there cannot be one consistent opinion.

Good for someone who want to slowly grow their skills in security domain.
The product is really well designed, people work so hard on rearchitect the features and improve the quality almost every release. The work is intense but you learn a lot from surrounded by experts.
The good learning curve and lots to learn as a fresher. Talented team with good management.
Work gets recognized and challenging security task to fix it.
I worked at Symantec during the period of time that they were splitting back into Veritas and Symantec. It was very chaotic, with lots of construction going on and people moving all over the place.

However, this meant that I got a very nice office in a location that few programmers seemed to be working in, and was able to work on a project that I was able to make entirely my own.

I really enjoyed working with every individual I was able to, and learned a lot from them. I don't believe that my experience would be able to help anyone trying to work there now, but I would still recommend anyone wanting to get into security to look into working there.
loved the team and culture.
It was great working in Symantec. the tools used are best of its kind and agile is practiced at is best.

the company has to pay more.
Good Company to work for. Management is co-operative and you get to work on cutting edge technologies. You also get complete work life balance at Symantec.
Management is always eyeing to cut jobs and dont care about your group doing a good job or getting customers.

Poor Severance package and absolutely 0 notice period.
Pros
Good Pay, Stocks, Espp, 401k
Cons
Job Security - Management is just scaring the people now from recent lay off
I have really enjoyed working at Symantec, there is great management and they try to do all they can to make work interesting and fun.
I would suggest to work at this company, you will have a great experience
Good work life balance without unlimited time off. Great people and easy to talk too and work with. Learned a lot about what I wanted in a job and a company. Culture is laid back but does meet deadlines.
My first and best company I worked with numerous learnings from each one. Everyone are competitive and worldclass facilities with options to work remotely and flexible working hours.
The first day of my was little typical. I have learned my soft and corporate working skills in my travel. I can well manage my schedules and deadlines in the project. I had a very affable and comfortable work culture. Meetings on project are most hardest and enjoyable part of job at the same time.
we have lots of new technology to investigate every week. We were focusing on security issues and share the results of the investigation to each other. In addition, the tasks are different one to one which makes the job even more fan
A great standard for corporations, but not above standard. Up to par benefits, and freedom to develop career. Relaxed work place with semi-flexible hours. Very comfortable and nice office.

The executive board constantly changed, making the company seem unstable and unfocused. Layoffs plagued morale. Not as competitive as other comparable corporations. Feedback not actively given by management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Changing Executive Board makes for instability
Very technical oriented company. Although work life balance in the company is quite good. For any fresher its a good company to make a new start and create career.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NortonLifeLock. Our community is ready to answer.