NortonLifeLock

NortonLifeLock Employee Reviews for Technical Support Engineer

Technical Support Engineer61 reviews
Very encouraging place to learn and grow.
Very fast pass at times but always providing a place to be encouraged to learn and grow.

Provided a place of family when the teams got together.
Fun place to work, good benefit, many opportunity for growth, good training, good management, very good work environment, people are enjoy to work in this company.
- Very good management, job culture, people, environment of Symantec!
- Never seen such employee centric company

- Fortunate to have been part of Symantec!

- Would never have left company had Broadcom did not take over it.

- Perks and Benefits are great.

- Good managers and colleagues.

- Any employee would always think to be always a part of Symantec!
A typical day at work was talking with system administrators worldwide to solve problems affecting their network, email, exchange servers, sharepoint farms, NAS storage, esentially anything.
benefits
Cons
very structured time management
The first few years were great, then with CEO changes the company shifted focus to the short term gains. High rift rate because of this.

The company feels like it's loosing it's focus on the employee, and more just trying to make investors happy.
Pros
Free coffee, gym and discounted cafe
Cons
Poor management, high turnover, lack of direction, lack of job security
Symantec was a great company to work for. I only left because they move my job to Utah and I was unable to relocate at the time. I would have been happy to keep working for them had they offered me a remote position.
Culture of productivity! what?! you didn't perform 110% better than last quarter?! For shame. I will say there are opportunities to learn, but management can be limiting.
Back Line Engineers have more than 10 years of specialized training and knowledge of the product they support.

Each Back Line Engineer is limited to intense training and knowledge of one Symantec Business Produce they are assigned to support.
Pros
Colleagues with more than 10 years experience with business products offered by Symantec.
Cons
Poor an undeveloped support tools for problem resolution.
While a typical day at work entails a regular amount of production, the company regularly offers, and management supports, training of new skills and research into related subjects.
Pros
friendly workplace
Cons
downsizing
I used to love my job and was happy to go to work every day. I will not work for them anymore. It used to be a great company but new ownership has taken that away.
It started off as a great place to work but because they wanted to downsize, management decided to move the company out of state and just became a place that was no longer fun to work and it was just work as much as you can and no time to enjoy your work environment.
With recent times and Management change. The workload has increased, which is still ok if there is Job Security.

Other than that Symantec is the best employee friendly organization, as per my experience.
Started out as a great job, with the promise that they were very family oriented. They failed to mention that that was only if you had kids.Laid off an entire Dev team at once for no reason, didn't rehire anyone for two years They rented out an office suite in Utah, only to close it, and give people the option to move to the new Springfield, OR location, or be laid off. Springfield location was built with the agreement that the city would provide tax breaks as long as they employed a certain amount of people. That lasted all of four years, then they allowed projects to die off, and played the 'get laid off or move to Utah game'. The City of Springfield sued them for breech of contract, after they left approximately 1100 people without a job. They would lay people off, only to offer them their job back at a lower rate. Promised raises took months to be applied, if they were ever seen at all.
Pros
It's a Job
Cons
Instability, Job Insecurity
Symantec is a great company to work for. The company seems to be focused on shareholders at the moment and not the employees, unfortunately. They do offer a lot of nice benefits, but the lack of stability makes it difficult to be a relaxing workplace.
Pros
nice benifits
Cons
Frequent layoffs
It was a job that provided income but not much for career advancement. They do not value education and past experience. It can be an opportunity for growth if you fit into the good ole boy category. You have a lot of managers that have been with the company a long time that keep smart energetic people from rising into management and leadership areas.
As a technical support engineer i used to learn a lot about the products and their workings. And working with numerous clients with different kinds of environments makes you familiar with everything.
Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate, and sodas are only $0.25. This company has a huge presence in India and Bulgaria and has a hard time keeping a CEO (5 in 9 years).
Pros
Did I mention sodas are only a quarter?
Cons
Increasing to a 24x7 Call Center culture, night shifts need coverage, weekends and holidays are no longer important.
Symantec seems to focus so much on the top line of the balance sheet that the products that it turns out seem to deteriorate over time. That coupled with cost-cutting, support is strapped for resources, passing along poor service to the customer.
I was in constant fear of being laid off but the people I worked with are wonderful.

I only left because the site is closing

It would be nice if the company paid a bit more of the Health insurance premiums. I pay $600 a month for family coverage.
Fast Paced day

I have added many new network and security skills

Good Management

Changing culture

Dealing with management

Working with my customers

I love the Job, but I am not impressed with the management
Pros
Good company
Cons
Band Management
Big Yellow box of support for numerous products. Learn a ton, had some fun, enjoyed the work but was plagued by an incredibly poor manager. Onward to the next job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at NortonLifeLock. Our community is ready to answer.