NUI Galway Employee Reviews

Nice workplace, but I would not reccomend it
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Galway23 August 2018
The institution has a good and strong reputation, as well as a good work-life balance. Unfortunately, it lacks of benefits and support for newcomers and other situations.
There are also few facilities, compared with other similar institutions.
The technical/administrative staff is ok. The location is very nice, but housing/rental is extremely difficult (unreasonable rent prices and very poor choice in the rental market).
Pros and Cons
admin administrator for S.U engineering desk (Former Employee) –  Galway3 May 2018
ups and downs. sporadic hours and somewhat mundane days. especially in the off-peak operiods. but the ability to work on ones own initiative somewhat made up for this but is off-set by the lack of job training and may in fact be more of a syptom of this than a management style.
Cons
limited hours
Extortionate and exploitative
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway21 January 2018
The mill that is hiring only temporary workers to fill positions that should be permanent, is absolutely outrageous. It is a disservice to the temporary and permanent employees, and thus, ultimately, to the student population. It also denies temporary works any possibility of advancement. Shameful.
Pros
Sure all the offices have a kettle.
Cons
Exploits temporary workers
i dont want to review
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway17 January 2018
this is a very goodcollege where a could hhave a great work experience. my boss and my collegues wuere fantastic with me making my experience better than a imagine.
Challenging and Rewarding Workplace
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Galway18 June 2017
Worked around the clock in 6 hour shifts to achieve maximum use of time and conduct as many experiments and surveys as possible. Need to be able to work under own initiative as work at each research station can be frantic and time sensitive. Learned many new research methods and how different types of science compliment each other. Invaluable experience is learned if you are able to keep up with the demands of the work.
Pros
Free food and accomodation
Was fun place to work
lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway23 April 2017
Moniotring the algae growth and harvesting at the end of each biological cycle. Was managed by post doc and PhD students.
Friendly work environment and hardest part of the job was setting up a sterile new propylene bag for a new batch culture for the algae as the plastic was prone to break and leak in the metal flat panel frame.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
Harvest takes a long time
Good atmosphere
Laboratory Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Galway4 April 2017
My personal experience is of a good workplace, with nice people. However, the organisation and communication between the departments could be improved
Enjoyable experience
Teddy Bear Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Galway16 April 2016
As it was volunteer work that consisted only of two days, I have little to say aside from that I greatly enjoyed working with children.
Excellent Experience
MSc Researcher (Former Employee) –  Galway, Galway11 June 2015
Well run laboratory environment where significant practical experience was gained. Worked as part of a multidisciplinary team in a stimulating environment.

Excellent co workers, cutting edge research carried out on a daily basis
Grinds tutor
I.T. Grinds Tutor (Former Employee) –  Galway10 June 2014
I was not part of the college professional structure but provided grinds to mainly NUIG students. However I also provided grinds to students in 3rd level GMIT and some FETAC students in programming and data management.
fun
student (Former Employee) –  galway13 June 2013
I have learned quite alot on the theory side of social care but now I need the practical experience.