NUI Galway

NUI Galway Employee Reviews

If you can get a fixed term contract with NUIG, that is great. I am working as a temp, and management don't really see you in wuite the same way as staff who are on grades.
Pros
Near City
Cons
It you are a temp beware, it;s hard to get a full time post.
9-5 Monday to Friday. Fun staff and management.
Learned a variety of molecular biology lab techniques and operation of equipment such as PCR machinery and confocoal microscopes.
I love that NUI Galway is open to supporting community led projects. It allowed me to develop a three month community based project. However this positivity is severely undermined by issues of payments and management.
The worst in Ireland for gender equality, NUI Galway needs a serious attitude change at the management level. Although the attitude of individual department heads is supportive, positive and ethical, the senior management policy is often very exploitative. I have had to work without a contract for months and there is virtually no one I can turn to for support. The HR and Research Support Service is very very poor and over subscribed. Students are also exploited financially in many cases. It is simply isn't fair and I came to Ireland giving up my career elsewhere. So much investment is wasted on vanity projects around the university.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Exploitative management and poor services
The institution has a good and strong reputation, as well as a good work-life balance. Unfortunately, it lacks of benefits and support for newcomers and other situations.
There are also few facilities, compared with other similar institutions.

The technical/administrative staff is ok. The location is very nice, but housing/rental is extremely difficult (unreasonable rent prices and very poor choice in the rental market).
very fun place to work. Particularly with athletes new to sport and willing to train to move onto the next level of competition. This is a job i thoroughly enjoyed
Pros
working as part of a team
Cons
ups and downs. sporadic hours and somewhat mundane days. especially in the off-peak operiods. but the ability to work on ones own initiative somewhat made up for this but is off-set by the lack of job training and may in fact be more of a syptom of this than a management style.
Cons
limited hours
The mill that is hiring only temporary workers to fill positions that should be permanent, is absolutely outrageous. It is a disservice to the temporary and permanent employees, and thus, ultimately, to the student population. It also denies temporary works any possibility of advancement. Shameful.
Pros
Sure all the offices have a kettle.
Cons
Exploits temporary workers
this is a very goodcollege where a could hhave a great work experience. my boss and my collegues wuere fantastic with me making my experience better than a imagine.
A typical day includes learning theory on marketing, studying material and taking breaks.
Learned all that is good about marketing.

Management and Leadership skills were needed in group projects.

Hardest part of the job was to do exams.

Most enjoyable was gaining my qualification.
Worked around the clock in 6 hour shifts to achieve maximum use of time and conduct as many experiments and surveys as possible. Need to be able to work under own initiative as work at each research station can be frantic and time sensitive. Learned many new research methods and how different types of science compliment each other. Invaluable experience is learned if you are able to keep up with the demands of the work.
Pros
Free food and accomodation
Cons
Moniotring the algae growth and harvesting at the end of each biological cycle. Was managed by post doc and PhD students.
Friendly work environment and hardest part of the job was setting up a sterile new propylene bag for a new batch culture for the algae as the plastic was prone to break and leak in the metal flat panel frame.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
Harvest takes a long time
My personal experience is of a good workplace, with nice people. However, the organisation and communication between the departments could be improved
As it was volunteer work that consisted only of two days, I have little to say aside from that I greatly enjoyed working with children.
Well run laboratory environment where significant practical experience was gained. Worked as part of a multidisciplinary team in a stimulating environment.

Excellent co workers, cutting edge research carried out on a daily basis
I was not part of the college professional structure but provided grinds to mainly NUIG students. However I also provided grinds to students in 3rd level GMIT and some FETAC students in programming and data management.
Every day was different as you never knew what queries you would be dealing with from students, parents or academics which made it all the more interesting. Great team effort within all the offices for guidance and support. I was blessed to have such great co workers and managers. Some days could be fairly intense when dealing with resolving situations with students which I enjoyed as I love a challenge in my work
Pros
chance to work as a team member, great co workers, job satisfaction
Cons
was only a temp position
I have learned quite alot on the theory side of social care but now I need the practical experience.