NUI Galway

NUI Galway Employee Reviews

Ireland18 reviews

Fun workplace

If you can get a fixed term contract with NUIG, that is great. I am working as a temp, and management don't really see you in wuite the same way as staff who are on grades.

Pros

Near City

Cons

It you are a temp beware, it;s hard to get a full time post.

Graveyard of ambition

I had many different roles with NUI Galway, as Technical Officer, Research Assistant, Demonstrator, Course Consulant, Teaching Assistant and anything in between.It did provide me with good experience, but the pay is absolute theft compared to industry, and management is absolutely lacking.There are people in high places genuinely doing nothing and earning six figures.The hardest thing about working for NUI Galway was being convinced time and time again that Academia is not worth it, despite my absolute preference for it over industry. Problems range from dodgy contracts, to career paths that do not actually exist (career is laid out in front of you during interviews and negotiations, but there is actually no relation between roles) and finally to realizing that people in high places have no research standards.

Pros

Colleagues are amazing, and campus is beautiful.

Cons

I forgot what weekends were, and I realized I never afforded to take a day off.

Productive and efficient

I started working in nuig in 2006. It suits me to work there. The job pays well and the annual leave is good too. I get on well with my supervisor and work colleagues. Nuig is 10 minutes drive from where I live.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Early start

Productive and fun workpalce

9-5 Monday to Friday. Fun staff and management. Learned a variety of molecular biology lab techniques and operation of equipment such as PCR machinery and confocoal microscopes.

Salary & management issues undermine potential

I love that NUI Galway is open to supporting community led projects. It allowed me to develop a three month community based project. However this positivity is severely undermined by issues of payments and management.

Exploitative management, despite good departmental heads

The worst in Ireland for gender equality, NUI Galway needs a serious attitude change at the management level. Although the attitude of individual department heads is supportive, positive and ethical, the senior management policy is often very exploitative. I have had to work without a contract for months and there is virtually no one I can turn to for support. The HR and Research Support Service is very very poor and over subscribed. Students are also exploited financially in many cases. It is simply isn't fair and I came to Ireland giving up my career elsewhere. So much investment is wasted on vanity projects around the university.

Pros

Beautiful campus

Cons

Exploitative management and poor services

Nice workplace, but I would not reccomend it

The institution has a good and strong reputation, as well as a good work-life balance. Unfortunately, it lacks of benefits and support for newcomers and other situations.There are also few facilities, compared with other similar institutions.The technical/administrative staff is ok. The location is very nice, but housing/rental is extremely difficult (unreasonable rent prices and very poor choice in the rental market).

fun work place

very fun place to work. Particularly with athletes new to sport and willing to train to move onto the next level of competition. This is a job i thoroughly enjoyed

Pros

working as part of a team

Pros and Cons

ups and downs. sporadic hours and somewhat mundane days. especially in the off-peak operiods. but the ability to work on ones own initiative somewhat made up for this but is off-set by the lack of job training and may in fact be more of a syptom of this than a management style.

Cons

limited hours

Extortionate and exploitative

The mill that is hiring only temporary workers to fill positions that should be permanent, is absolutely outrageous. It is a disservice to the temporary and permanent employees, and thus, ultimately, to the student population. It also denies temporary works any possibility of advancement. Shameful.

Pros

Sure all the offices have a kettle.

Cons

Exploits temporary workers

i dont want to review

this is a very goodcollege where a could hhave a great work experience. my boss and my collegues wuere fantastic with me making my experience better than a imagine.

Challenging and Rewarding Workplace

Worked around the clock in 6 hour shifts to achieve maximum use of time and conduct as many experiments and surveys as possible. Need to be able to work under own initiative as work at each research station can be frantic and time sensitive. Learned many new research methods and how different types of science compliment each other. Invaluable experience is learned if you are able to keep up with the demands of the work.

Pros

Free food and accomodation

Was fun place to work

Moniotring the algae growth and harvesting at the end of each biological cycle. Was managed by post doc and PhD students. Friendly work environment and hardest part of the job was setting up a sterile new propylene bag for a new batch culture for the algae as the plastic was prone to break and leak in the metal flat panel frame.

Pros

Very flexible hours

Cons

Harvest takes a long time

Good atmosphere

My personal experience is of a good workplace, with nice people. However, the organisation and communication between the departments could be improved

Enjoyable experience

As it was volunteer work that consisted only of two days, I have little to say aside from that I greatly enjoyed working with children.

Excellent Experience

Well run laboratory environment where significant practical experience was gained. Worked as part of a multidisciplinary team in a stimulating environment. Excellent co workers, cutting edge research carried out on a daily basis

Grinds tutor

I was not part of the college professional structure but provided grinds to mainly NUIG students. However I also provided grinds to students in 3rd level GMIT and some FETAC students in programming and data management.

fun

I have learned quite alot on the theory side of social care but now I need the practical experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NUI Galway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement