NUI Galway

NUI Galway Management reviews

Ireland16 reviews
If you can get a fixed term contract with NUIG, that is great. I am working as a temp, and management don't really see you in wuite the same way as staff who are on grades.
Pros
Near City
Cons
It you are a temp beware, it;s hard to get a full time post.
9-5 Monday to Friday. Fun staff and management.
Learned a variety of molecular biology lab techniques and operation of equipment such as PCR machinery and confocoal microscopes.
I love that NUI Galway is open to supporting community led projects. It allowed me to develop a three month community based project. However this positivity is severely undermined by issues of payments and management.
The worst in Ireland for gender equality, NUI Galway needs a serious attitude change at the management level. Although the attitude of individual department heads is supportive, positive and ethical, the senior management policy is often very exploitative. I have had to work without a contract for months and there is virtually no one I can turn to for support. The HR and Research Support Service is very very poor and over subscribed. Students are also exploited financially in many cases. It is simply isn't fair and I came to Ireland giving up my career elsewhere. So much investment is wasted on vanity projects around the university.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Exploitative management and poor services
ups and downs. sporadic hours and somewhat mundane days. especially in the off-peak operiods. but the ability to work on ones own initiative somewhat made up for this but is off-set by the lack of job training and may in fact be more of a syptom of this than a management style.
Cons
limited hours
I was not part of the college professional structure but provided grinds to mainly NUIG students. However I also provided grinds to students in 3rd level GMIT and some FETAC students in programming and data management.