Overstock
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Overstock Employee Reviews

Overstock is a fun and challenging place to work. There is a heavy emphasis put on life-work balance. The management are approachable and friendly and place a lot of trust in the team to get the job done on their own accord. Extra training and self improvement is encouraged and the business is very transparent in their success or failure, recently success!

I would recommend Overstock to someone who is looking to progress their career in tech while living somewhere with loads to offer.
Pros
Life work balance, career progression, free coffee
Meh. Don't work here if you live more than 20 minutes away. They don't pay enough for the commute. That is all I'm going to say about the work. The company is okay, but the competition is beating them out on several levels.
Overstock is the best work I ever had. I love the flexible schedule, the management type, the culture, the benefits and all the activities they have to keep the team together.
It's as good as you make it. They give you opportunities to work on some cool projects and prove yourself. But if you don't step up, you get pushed to the background. It's a great work life balance, but can get stagnant sometimes. The creative leadership is doing a rad job of getting exec buy-in
The customers are great. All the management is worthless. They don't want to help you they like to watch you fail. You have a question about a change they say they will get back to you and they never do. Thing are always changing and you can not keep up.
I was at the Elma, WA call center. They've fired 90% of the people I knew there, for really STUPID reasons. They treat employees like trash. I don't recommend this place as an employer.
Call center customer service can be tough if you let if get to you. Some people are just mad. I would have done much better if I had fully understood the attendance policy.
Pros
Free concerts
Cons
timing to the second
Constant changes are always losing its value. The completion of projects are less than 100% complete before the focus for a new one begins. You are lucky to get past a first phase. I am all for fast pace and change but there is a point when direction changes are just too much, too often. If you are up for being humiliated and have fear of expecting professional respect for yourself, then you will fit right in. If the middle level management doesn't control your work/life balance then they will weed you out. Senior management needs to recognize what their mid-level management is doing to good employees. These are their mentors and development leadership.
Their is always a strive for a better employee benefits. They offer more than most companies. The work environment is usually positive and upbeat. You can make great friends and colleagues.
Pros
benefits, environment, senior leadership mentors
Cons
mid-level leadership, change management, salary compensation
Job performance it not one ot he things that will get you promoted at Overstock. You have to blinding do what management wants, and if you have a suggestions for improvement better watch out.
I really enjoy working for Overstock. There's always a great atmosphere in the office. Culture is taken very seriously. Life/work balance is hugely encouraged.
The work culture died when new upper company managers hired on.
Change in company cost/forced 600 people to quit or fired. (To be fair most people were just worked there for the paycheck and not really helping the company. There were a lot of good people there still.)

Lack of support from Managers.

It felt like they were weeding out people.

Wrap up was 20 secs if not forced back in by managers

Micro Managing

Typical call center rules

PTO can only be used if you have enough. No unpaid time off

Angry customers.

No empathy or sympathy for employees, but expected to give customers sympathy/empathy.

Pros: VTO, Off the phones for meetings. Managers were easy to talk to

Cons: 30 min lunches and everything else.
If you work at the Salt Lake City Corporate office you get tons of benefits, and perks ...yoga studio , on site daycare, and medical care, on site garden if you work at any of their other locations there are none of these benefits or perks, And the perks are rubbed into the faces of those associates who do not get them.The Male Management at the Warehouse's are not good to female associates and the things they say when they think no one is listening would make any normal person cringe with disgust. HR has no interest in listening.
The whole company is stifled by favoritism and sexism that there is no advancement unless you do some major brown-nosing.
Fantastic company to work for with the attitude and technology that you'd come to expect from the top tech companies around the world. I moved from a city job with a very good company to get back to the West coast and I'm 100% happy with the move.

Day to day work involves rapid development and deployment of well thought out features over a number of microservices. We get regular feedback and guidance from key stakeholders. Decisions on any new technologies we'd like to try are made within the team. Great attitude within the team. We also work well with other teams as needed and management are extremely open and honest in their decision making.

For me the best part of the job is the honest focus on employees having a good work-life balance and enjoying their time at work. Lunch times often include a dip in the Atlantic or a long run through the trails. Definitely worth consideration and you may be surprised at the quality of life and work available away from the big cities.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Flexibility, Strong Tech
Cons
More tech companies in Sligo would be great
Overstock Ireland is a wonderful place to work. It has a laid back, collaborative environment with a big focus on continuous learning and development. As an intern I was given the opportunity to start working on real stories very quickly, while still not being under pressure and learning at my own pace. I was also given the opportunity to work on multiple teams to get experience in different areas.

The tech stack is very interesting and cutting edge and there is an encouragement to explore new tech applicable to a project. I finished my internship having gained a lot of experience in current and in demand technologies.
Pros
Relaxed, supportive atmosphere.
Cons
Sligo is a beautiful but small town and may not be for everyone.
They value their employees. Fun work environment and great people to work with. Hardest part of my job is relaying the hard message to the customer. Funniest is making the friends and they become family.
Relocating to Sligo town from a much bigger city for the role in Overstock Ireland was a big decision in itself. After working at my current role here for over a year, I could say without a shadow of a doubt that it did definitely pay off.
The perks of living in a smaller town such as less traffic and cheaper accommodation closer to the office is a big advantage on its own. However, this is foreshadowed by what Overstock Ireland had to offer.

The tech stack overstock uses is really challenging and cutting edge. Being strong advocates of microservice architecture, CI/CD and containerized apps(docker, k8s) we are not limited to using one programming language and dev teams have freedom in using whichever language/framework they desire.

Overstock Ireland provides a great work-life balance. We have very flexible hours, flexible work schedules and a relaxed work culture most people envy.

The management is quite open and transparent and is easily approachable. The management team with most of them having a technical background has scaled well in their current roles. In where ever they are lacking we could see that they are making a sincere effort to improve.

The most I enjoy about the role in Overstock Ireland is the opportunity to learn something new every day. I am learning something new every day.
Pros
Cutting edge tech, real work life balance
Cons
The salary isn't as high as in big cities such as Dublin, however the difference in the living expenses and accomodation makes up for this.
flexible and good benefits, beautiful campus and cafe access to UTA with good work life balance and onsite health care clinic. Mobile dentist, salon and massage therapist come onsite
Pros
listed above
Cons
leadership is not there
When you go through training they only teach you their way of talking to people, and don't really teach you the way to handle problems when they come up, and most of the time is spent playing games and having cook events and it all seems like they really are a fun workplace. But then class ends and you get thrown out on the floor with basically no knowledge. You are supposed to just learn as you go, but when you need help all you get is told do whatever the customer is asking even if it's not the right thing to do. If you suck up to the right people you will go far even if you aren't a good agent. But even if your a great agent and your stats speak for themselves it doesn't matter unless your in with the right people .
Pros
Club o bonuses.
Cons
Everything else .
This company doesn’t care about their employees they hire people with disabilities and even cancer and then when they use their point and call out make them feel lik they have to quit or fire them I used to love it when I first started so much help and recognition for employees then they started just firing people agents and supervisors you never know if your job is in jeopardy or not you have to me kissing manage,ents butt to get anywhere in the company and then they can also demote you for any reason they feel necessary or fire you they send out overtime which of course no one minds working overtime extra money but if you don’t sign up they sign u up for whatever hours they want and make it amdatory you get there fo your shift and a couple hours in they make it mandatory overtime so you worker longer than your normal shift with no advance knowledge or anything just bam that same day you now are working overtime there is no support for reps on the floor oh did i mention they fired a bunch of people and then gave everyone free hours (floating holidays) as they call it overall the company has become a joke pays well but not enough to live on either
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
Asked for new direct supervisor due to her unprofessionalism and was told to "try to swap shifts" and see if that works out for you. Hypocrisy and nepotism are high. I would never go back.
Cons
Working for Overstock has been a wonderful experience. They truly care about their workers and put on several special events each year to show their appreciation. I was always treated fairly in all of my interactions with managements. I felt that the attendance and time off policies were fair and equitable to everyone. There is a lack of upward mobility right now as support and supervisor roles do not come available very often. The pay, while better than minimum wage, can also be a bit low depending on the distance traveled to get to work. While they tried to arrange for mass transit to off set those costs, a majority of people come in too early or leave too late for the transportation to help.