Overstock

Overstock Employee Reviews in Elma, WA

Worked here for almost a year, and honestly, the job itself wasn't completely awful, but the in office politics was ridiculous. I'm not sure why companies do not understand that helping a customer sometimes required spending time with them, but Overstock really hammered in only being on the phones for a short amount of time. I've had a few call center jobs now, and honestly the amount of praise I got for customers because I actually listened and tried to help them despite being told to do otherwise should tell you a lot. My team's manager constantly had to fight for me because I wasn't meeting time metrics, despite my customer satisfaction rate being one of the highest in the call center. Would be a lot better if they just let their employees take care of their customers.This isn't to mention the normal call center issues of treating employees like garbage (A co-worker was fired because he had a bladder condition that caused him to use the bathroom more than the average person), not caring about work/life balance, etc.
Working for Overstock has been a wonderful experience. They truly care about their workers and put on several special events each year to show their appreciation. I was always treated fairly in all of my interactions with managements. I felt that the attendance and time off policies were fair and equitable to everyone. There is a lack of upward mobility right now as support and supervisor roles do not come available very often. The pay, while better than minimum wage, can also be a bit low depending on the distance traveled to get to work. While they tried to arrange for mass transit to off set those costs, a majority of people come in too early or leave too late for the transportation to help.
Drama runs deep, and there are 2 groups to work with, accepted or not accepted. Advancement will happen if you move to Utah (they say). Be ready to not be heard or taken seriously if you have problems with work attitudes from both customers and coworkers.
What they claim their culture is versus reality is night and day. Employees live in fear of being next despite being lied to daily about almost everything including how well you are doing and safe you are because of that. Job security is stressful with company terminations that both happen daily and come in large waves based on decisions made by those receiving their annual bonuses while at the same time restructuring hundreds of others out of a job to save money. Those selected aren't last in first out. In fact, at times, those selected do not have counseling notices or attendance issues, but are being cut before new hires or those in the same position, making more money, with active and multiple correctives in their file. Location is not handicap friendly, entrance or exit. Unless you are a male needing to use the restroom. The one and only automated handicap access door button is on a single restroom on the bottom floor. If you are handicap and there is an emergency you must rely on the appointed safety person to escort you out. This has been a problem for over 2 years, it took over a year to get approval for the 1 bathroom.
Pros
You will learn valuable customer service skills
Cons
Perfect attendance and doing your job well won't save you.
The job is not bad but it is highly stressful. The calls in particular are what causes most of the stress. We are yelled at and screamed at daily. However the benefits are pretty good and it matches 6% of your 401k, full medical coverage, and employee days to take them to an amusement park.
Management is a joke. If you loved high school this is the place for you. Trust no one. Careful who and what you tell, everyone is bound to know. Not all people are so bad but I learned not to be so trusting. Culture is miserable dont let them fool you
This job is not for me due to the poor management, sitting down for 8 hours a day being yelled at by customers. Not enough time to think. The way things worked for employees was not fair.
Pros
Vending Machines
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
This is a high stress job because people are calling in with problems and sometimes they are very mean and crabby. People can be very foul unless you can just forget it and let it slide off then this is not a good job for you.
The Overstock team is awesome! Everyone is so friendly and inviting. I never have an issue when I need time off for my appointments. My supervisor is very understanding. All of my friends who work here love it! There's been no issues since I've been here and I couldn't be happier! I would highly recommend working here! Best team ever!
Pros
Understanding with time off, lots of great benefits, great management team, make you feel like you're part of a team
Cons
the drive
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Overstock?
I have worked for over a year and saw them promote people with no supervisory or management experience into leadership roles, these people were picked based on popularity not ability. Many had been rushed through teiring up because they were desperate. Out of my training class of 16 only 4 are still employed with Overstock, of them only one was fired. The job is stressful with high turnover rate and the pay is less than fast-food workers earn. This is not a good work environment and the company culture is reminiscent of high school. How hard you work will not determine your career path at Overstock.
Pros
Heathcare Benefits, Full Time
Cons
Nepotistic, poor leadership
Great people! great culture! They make sure to get you involved. No such thing as a typical day because you're always handling different customers! I have found that what I learned at overstock can be applied to every day life! Management was really social able and involving. Very positive Culture! The hardest part about the job was those tough angry customers that yell at you over the phone but it is your job to help them so you GOT TO HELP THEM, it seemed like some employees didnt understand that, theres so many things that can go wrong for a customer and its our job to reassure them that we will get it taken care of. If your confident and willing then all you have to do is help them. I found that with those tough customers, you just have to be understanding and kind, they teach you how to handle those customers. It was easy handling those customers but that was the hardest part. Everything was enjoyable!
Pros
Cafeteria where you can buy lunch, alot of parking, nice location, comfortable/adjustable desks, great system to handle customer issues always have help available.
Cons
When I was first hired and put through the 5 week training process, they made the job out to be completely different than it actually was once I got out on the floor. It’s extremely stressful and it’s like you have to be in a constant state of conflict with the customers. I knew that customers would be frustrated when they called in, but what I didn’t know is that for a lot of situations, there’s nothing you can do for them right then. Usually someone had to call them back later which was of course even more frustrating for the customer. Don’t get me wrong, some people really do enjoy the work. It just wasn’t for me. If you have thick skin, this might be a good job for you. Just be prepared to put up with customers being upset all day long.
Pros
Benefits, Performance based promotions, supportive management
Cons
Stressful, They don’t give you the resources to do the job well
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers but the job itself is stressful. You have to constantly be yelled at by customers over things we have no control over
They lure you in with, smiles, laughter and promises. Being there as long as I was I was very observant of the people, the tools we had to work with consistently and management. Here's my rundown of it.. They pay you to take mental and verbal abuse daily for 8 hours on end and quite frankly with THESE customer's it isn't enough. Yes they offer medical, dental, and vision but its over priced and goes up yearly. The medical sucks and you cant do much with it. The tools they give you to work with barely function, there's a new system issue daily that they think "Clearing your cookies, your cache and browser history." will solve. it doesn't. Policies change daily. They say "Work in the grey, but only give you a few shades to work in so it might as well be black and white, Upper management is a joke because they play favorites, make promises they cant keep and always insist you're on a "Short-list" to get a promotion and it never comes. There's little to no communication between Utah's center and Washington's.
Very true to what they say. The management is supportive and easy going and willing to help you learn. Very fun enviorment and people friendly. The care factor is awesome when it comes to their empolyees
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Sitting at desk all day is hard mad customers
I love working at overstock, everyone is so much fun. The only problem is the people really tend to kick you down. The supervisors are the best, the managers are even better.
We were told in training overstock is not like any other call center. We were told that they would be interviewing people for floor support and team leader positions that would be posted on workday. We got to the floor skipped tier 1 nesting and tossed in to production. Management was annoyed that a new class was asking so many questions. Did not have computers for the first 4 weeks of training, Got in the new building 2 months later no evacuation plans. Management pulled people off the phones they liked and were friends with to promote up to team leaders and floor support no interviews involved. lots of nepotism and disorganization. Overstock is not like any other call center I have worked at because every call center I worked at job performance is what got you promoted not how well Management liked you.
Pros
40 hrs a week
Cons
Management and Lots of empty promises
Several friends, including myself applied 2 months ago, and when contact was made to HR, the applications were nowhere to be found, yet we have emails stating otherwise. Look for another company to work for, this one is a loser.
Pros
Cheap Labor
Cons
Low pay, incompetence, and dot com loser.