Overstock
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Overstock Employee Reviews in Midvale, UT

Midvale, UT36 reviews
I was excited to get hired, but the job wasn't what it was supposed to be and didn't have the intended outcome management expected. Due to poor management regular lay offs are common occurrences.
Pros
Building was awesome
Cons
lack of concern by management, lack of growth
Working at overstock really helped me build my customer service experience. I enjoyed the people I worked with. They have great trainers there to teach you and to make sure you feel comfortable before getting on the floor
Decent pay. Great benefits. Lots of lip service about inclusion, work life balance, etc. Zero real focus at the top. No mentoring or guidance. Flawed financials. A ruderless ship. No real mission.
I enjoyed my job for many years but was always worried about being included on the next employee layoff list. I never felt job security due to the amount of layoffs or re-organizations that took place during my employment at Overstock. Way too many lay-offs which always happened so unexpectedly. I was thankful that I lasted as long as I did! I must add that I loved all of my co-workers and the company culture was spectacular at one time.
The policies are out of the ordinary for work flow mandatory overtime, required work 6 days a week in the winter, 50-60 hour work weeks in the winter. metrics weren't conducive to a balanced work flow. mediocre training lots of inconsistencies when it came to direction.
I am responsible for a team and i enjoy the people that i work with. I like my EA and i love some of the events that we get to go to. They go out of their way to ensure that we have fun.
Job performance it not one ot he things that will get you promoted at Overstock. You have to blinding do what management wants, and if you have a suggestions for improvement better watch out.
flexible and good benefits, beautiful campus and cafe access to UTA with good work life balance and onsite health care clinic. Mobile dentist, salon and massage therapist come onsite
Pros
listed above
Cons
leadership is not there
This is a great place to learn but I'm afraid Overstock won't be around much longer due to uncompetitive pricing. I wouldn't spend my paycheck on stocks.
Pros
Fun Culture
Cons
It's heavy in workplace politics
The possibilities at Overstock.com are incredible if you are placed in the right department under good management.

Having a great manager makes all the difference.
Pros
It's fun.
Cons
Management opportunities are given to the wrong people.
Having worked here for several years. Good company to work for. Good work and life balance. Would recommend to anyone who enjoy a challenging life and career.
The benefits are wonderful but the culture is very intimidating, as job security is lacking, even for top performers.

Despite efforts to gather information from all levels of the company and base decisions on that information, upper management still dictates and does not appear to "seek first to understand and then be understood".
Overstock was a great learning experience for me. There is a lack of personal space or break rooms. Plan on mass layoffs about every 16 months to 2 years.
Pros
Cool benefits, concerts, lagoon.
Cons
Mass layoffs routinely.
Great regular people, leadership lacks leadership.
Good place to work but sometimes leadership is not very smart. I would work there again, but with some limitations.
Pros
Team environment is great
Cons
Leadership lacks leadership
-Traditional hours with limited hour flexibility. Depending on Manager
-Free workplace culture

-Best part of the job is having a view within online business and buying structure
They have a great work life balance, they throw random parties for random holidays, the building is awesome, but there are definitely downsides. Executives make decisions that affect departments they know nothing about, these affect your everyday life.

I would say that if you are looking for something lax, this place is great, just be prepared for them to throw random changes at you and make empty promises about raises and/or bonuses!
Pros
building, parties, coworkers
Cons
not fulfilling promises, no bonuses (even when they promise), constant unnecessary changes
The culture at overstock is horrible. Layoffs are common, based on friendships not work being done. Any one working for them is always worried about the next layoff.
Pros
Cons
terrible managment
Overstock started as a great company but it's going downhill quickly. When you first go through the interview process, there is so much praise and power pumping going through the conversation with recruiters. It's all a front. Once you get into the company and are there for some time, you start to realize that it's not at all how it was said to be. Everything depends on which department you work in to be able to experience the "O life" aka the social events and laid back "culture" - those being the Tech and Buyers sections being the best ones to work in. Everyone else is chained to their departments. There is some serious time micromanaging going on which infringes on the ability to partake in events meant to boost company morale and teamwork. They boast that internal promotions are preferred and they want everyone to constantly be learning and not getting bored. Reality is, once you land your spot, you are there for life - unless you are really good at kissing butt. It's common talk that the only way to move up is by doing that and being "nice fake". Favoritism regardless of actual qualifications is rampant here. There are people doing jobs they are not even qualified for due to that. Those behaviors linger strongly and it does affect you. Managers really have no connection with their teams and the open office settings do nothing for getting people to work together better. It's the exact opposite. The company doesn't know how to manage it's funds either. There are so many issues brewing but the only solution they can come up with is to throw money at the issue and hire as - more...
Pros
company events, onsite gym, onsite daycare (if you can get in), onsite health clinic
Cons
horrible healthcare, lack of good management, little to no career advancement
With 65Million Q2 losses and raising capital, they are selling the company in bits and pieces. They cannot turn around profit for many more years. I do not recommend.
Overall a less-than-mediocre place to work with little to no job security due to frequent restructuring. I've seen lots of good people come and let go for no reason other than to reduce staff and save executives money. Their technology is a lacking but slowly improving. Weak relationships between developers and DevOps teams. Extremely "cliquey" work environment overall.
Pros
Cafeteria, gym, interesting office, competitive salary
Cons
No job security, cliques, benefits lacking, poor management
This is a great company that cares about their employees. They offer great wages, a work life balance, and lots of perks such as on site restaurant, day care, fitness center, and massages.