Overstock
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Overstock Employee Reviews for Customer Care Specialist

The job is not bad but it is highly stressful. The calls in particular are what causes most of the stress. We are yelled at and screamed at daily. However the benefits are pretty good and it matches 6% of your 401k, full medical coverage, and employee days to take them to an amusement park.
Management does not care to see you succeed. Their workforce is not fair and does not care to work with people and their lives outside work. You get treated unfairly unless you made it in with the “in-crowd” the only good things working there are the company stand ups and they do things for the employees every so often.
Working for Overstock has been a wonderful experience. They truly care about their workers and put on several special events each year to show their appreciation. I was always treated fairly in all of my interactions with managements. I felt that the attendance and time off policies were fair and equitable to everyone. There is a lack of upward mobility right now as support and supervisor roles do not come available very often. The pay, while better than minimum wage, can also be a bit low depending on the distance traveled to get to work. While they tried to arrange for mass transit to off set those costs, a majority of people come in too early or leave too late for the transportation to help.
What they claim their culture is versus reality is night and day. Employees live in fear of being next despite being lied to daily about almost everything including how well you are doing and safe you are because of that. Job security is stressful with company terminations that both happen daily and come in large waves based on decisions made by those receiving their annual bonuses while at the same time restructuring hundreds of others out of a job to save money. Those selected aren't last in first out. In fact, at times, those selected do not have counseling notices or attendance issues, but are being cut before new hires or those in the same position, making more money, with active and multiple correctives in their file. Location is not handicap friendly, entrance or exit. Unless you are a male needing to use the restroom. The one and only automated handicap access door button is on a single restroom on the bottom floor. If you are handicap and there is an emergency you must rely on the appointed safety person to escort you out. This has been a problem for over 2 years, it took over a year to get approval for the 1 bathroom.
Pros
You will learn valuable customer service skills
Cons
Perfect attendance and doing your job well won't save you.
Management and Team Leads were all easy to deal with and compassionate people. All teams worked together to solve problems and were great to work with. Themed days to keep up morale. Some days are back to back and the twice a day 15 minute breaks don't really allow you to relax before returning to work
Pros
Contact with people from all over the country
Cons
Back to back calls, stressful to deal with so many people, some customers will berate you to the point of breaking or tears
Great people! great culture! They make sure to get you involved. No such thing as a typical day because you're always handling different customers! I have found that what I learned at overstock can be applied to every day life! Management was really social able and involving. Very positive Culture! The hardest part about the job was those tough angry customers that yell at you over the phone but it is your job to help them so you GOT TO HELP THEM, it seemed like some employees didnt understand that, theres so many things that can go wrong for a customer and its our job to reassure them that we will get it taken care of. If your confident and willing then all you have to do is help them. I found that with those tough customers, you just have to be understanding and kind, they teach you how to handle those customers. It was easy handling those customers but that was the hardest part. Everything was enjoyable!
Pros
Cafeteria where you can buy lunch, alot of parking, nice location, comfortable/adjustable desks, great system to handle customer issues always have help available.
Cons
Most days you go through the usual day to day of customer service calls. The pay is no where near the market value of what you learn especially if you are working on the escalations team. The backline/escalations team is a great team to be on however, the work load can be overbearing at times and extremely stressful. It is hard to balance work/home life due to the requirements of the job. Nepotism is often found in career advancement attempts and if you are not buddy-buddy with the management, don't expect to move up.
Pros
Great company culture, fun coworkers, great benefits
Cons
High stress level, nepotism
I love working at overstock, everyone is so much fun. The only problem is the people really tend to kick you down. The supervisors are the best, the managers are even better.
I would really rather not write any thing about Overstock, I had never worked for a call center before. At the beginning working at the castle was fun a little laid back, people laughed seemed to enjoy their jobs. When transferred to the Peace Coliseum it seemed dry their was no fun just a lot of micro managing.
Pros
Nice cafe, concerts
Cons
health insurance was expensive
The only way to move up in the company is if you know someone or are related to someone who is higher up. No matter how long you have been there and how hard you work, your work goes unnoticed and no pay raises. Everyone that works there is just drama and knows everything about everyone else life.
Pros
good first job
Cons
everything
It was a great place to work. The employees there were super nice. The company its self is great the the mangers dont know how to treat there employees.
A typical day at work is taking an estimated of 30-40 calls and handling customer issues/concerns via inbound and out bound calls and emails. I have make some friends for life at this company, the people are great. The management does their best with the issues at hand, but I do wish that they would take employee feedback into consideration. I have learned a lot from this job. The thing that I will take with me is that I have learned how to truly listen to the customer and to honestly empathize with them, not to listen to only respond. I use this in my every day life and my relationships have since improved.
Pros
free private concert, lagoon day, events
Cons
pay, understaffed, feedback process
The people are great but the company sucks. You aren't allowed to discuss some business practices that would alleviate customer concerns. I believe in total and complete honesty and you aren't allowed to be fully honest with customers. That dishonesty makes your job harder because it frustrates the customers when you give them 'beat around the bush' answers. Also, customers 'score' you by answering surveys about their calls and if they aren't happy with you (because you had to tell them no - obeying company policy) then that score can prevent you from getting raises and moving up in the company.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Difficult to move up in the company
Helping customers navigate, operate accounts and shopping online. Handling any tracking and shipping questions. There was time set aside to study videos on a variety of fun topics. I was studying, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Photoshop.
Pros
Discounts, great pay, game systems in the catered lunch room.
Cons
It could have been a little less far away location wise.
This place is a great place to work if you are into favoritism. I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy work there. I couldn't leave this company fast enough. I worked there for a year and a half and am a hard worker and was never complimented, just degraded and cut down. Don't work here unless you are absolutely desperate!
Pros
lagoon day
Cons
management
An open friendly and friendly workplace wherein was capable of serving customers daily. The management provided means to find new possibilities in personal and working life. The education was a part of working, as well as learning new means to create lasting relations. A usual day at work included meetings with team and management. Finding technological means of connecting and communicating with suppliers, customers, and each other.
Pros
freedom of expression
Cons
unclear dress code, my fault.
I really enjoyed working at Overstock.com. That is up until 6 months ago in February of this year. I then lost interest and slowly began to work less productively. My team lead and manager began to side with those who misunderstood my personality.
Pros
great benefits in terms of pay and health benefits
Cons
culture was not professionally conducive