Overstock

Overstock Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative in Elma, WA

Worked here for almost a year, and honestly, the job itself wasn't completely awful, but the in office politics was ridiculous. I'm not sure why companies do not understand that helping a customer sometimes required spending time with them, but Overstock really hammered in only being on the phones for a short amount of time. I've had a few call center jobs now, and honestly the amount of praise I got for customers because I actually listened and tried to help them despite being told to do otherwise should tell you a lot. My team's manager constantly had to fight for me because I wasn't meeting time metrics, despite my customer satisfaction rate being one of the highest in the call center. Would be a lot better if they just let their employees take care of their customers.This isn't to mention the normal call center issues of treating employees like garbage (A co-worker was fired because he had a bladder condition that caused him to use the bathroom more than the average person), not caring about work/life balance, etc.
This company is harshly strict with attendance, including breaks. When in the call center you will be marked down for not taking your breaks at the exact time you’re scheduled, even if you’re busy on a call with a customer. They use the point system for attendance and I was fired for getting my wisdom teeth removed, even with a doctors note that it was an essential surgery. They moved us to work from home with COVID but provided no computer or compensation for having to get WiFi.
Pros
Lots of spirit weeks
Cons
Pay, management, time off, compensation
I went into Overstock knowing what I was using it for. I'm not trying to make it a career. I'm simply just using it as a second job to boost my savings account. Customers will be customers so just hang in there.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
I tried to get in contact with someone regarding disability accommodations when I started my employment with Overstock. After 2 months of persistent inquiries, I finally got my paperwork. By then, medically necessary hospitalization and absences made me subject to termination. I quit before I was fired. If you have any type of disability that requires ADA support, do not work here.
Working here will suck your soul from your body. Would not recommend anyone ever work here unless you are DESPERATE and it’s temporary only. Almost all the people I worked with are gone and they all regret the time they poured into this awful company.
Mandatory overtime the entire Summer and now during the major holidays Regular employees are being punished by Management and HR's incompetency of not being able to hire and keep employee's. It's a known fact in a call center business if you stop hiring you might as well close your doors permanently due to the high turnover. You also need to change your point system, you hire people with issues that are clearly explained during the interview and when they have to go for treatments or other reasons you fire them due to occurring absenteeism, and of course you call it job abandonment. This isn't the military. New hires do not get their schedule until after the 4th Week, how do you expect someone to stay if they don't know their long term schedule, and you expect them to work any days and any hours. Your PTO needs to be over hauled and doubled to accommodate real life issues and you need to treat your employees with the same compassion the employees treat your customers.
Great place to work! Nice managers and great facilities. My co-workers were great. Lots of advancement opportunities. My only regret is leaving, for what seemed like a better job. Hindsight is always 20/20.
When you finally get what was promised over a year earlier, surprise! No pay raise whatsoever. Despite the fact that you are doing the duties of about three people.
Promise to move into other positions but not from customer service to Administration unless from Utah. Did advance in customer service fast to stall out in 9 months.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Overstock?
This is a wonderful place to work, but the opportunities for advancement are few and far between. Management loves to tell you things in such an obscure way, they never tell you anything at all.
Meh. Don't work here if you live more than 20 minutes away. They don't pay enough for the commute. That is all I'm going to say about the work. The company is okay, but the competition is beating them out on several levels.
When you go through training they only teach you their way of talking to people, and don't really teach you the way to handle problems when they come up, and most of the time is spent playing games and having cook events and it all seems like they really are a fun workplace. But then class ends and you get thrown out on the floor with basically no knowledge. You are supposed to just learn as you go, but when you need help all you get is told do whatever the customer is asking even if it's not the right thing to do. If you suck up to the right people you will go far even if you aren't a good agent. But even if your a great agent and your stats speak for themselves it doesn't matter unless your in with the right people .
Pros
Club o bonuses.
Cons
Everything else .
This is a high stress job because people are calling in with problems and sometimes they are very mean and crabby. People can be very foul unless you can just forget it and let it slide off then this is not a good job for you.
When I was first hired and put through the 5 week training process, they made the job out to be completely different than it actually was once I got out on the floor. It’s extremely stressful and it’s like you have to be in a constant state of conflict with the customers. I knew that customers would be frustrated when they called in, but what I didn’t know is that for a lot of situations, there’s nothing you can do for them right then. Usually someone had to call them back later which was of course even more frustrating for the customer. Don’t get me wrong, some people really do enjoy the work. It just wasn’t for me. If you have thick skin, this might be a good job for you. Just be prepared to put up with customers being upset all day long.
Pros
Benefits, Performance based promotions, supportive management
Cons
Stressful, They don’t give you the resources to do the job well
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers but the job itself is stressful. You have to constantly be yelled at by customers over things we have no control over
They lure you in with, smiles, laughter and promises. Being there as long as I was I was very observant of the people, the tools we had to work with consistently and management. Here's my rundown of it.. They pay you to take mental and verbal abuse daily for 8 hours on end and quite frankly with THESE customer's it isn't enough. Yes they offer medical, dental, and vision but its over priced and goes up yearly. The medical sucks and you cant do much with it. The tools they give you to work with barely function, there's a new system issue daily that they think "Clearing your cookies, your cache and browser history." will solve. it doesn't. Policies change daily. They say "Work in the grey, but only give you a few shades to work in so it might as well be black and white, Upper management is a joke because they play favorites, make promises they cant keep and always insist you're on a "Short-list" to get a promotion and it never comes. There's little to no communication between Utah's center and Washington's.
Very true to what they say. The management is supportive and easy going and willing to help you learn. Very fun enviorment and people friendly. The care factor is awesome when it comes to their empolyees
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Sitting at desk all day is hard mad customers
We were told in training overstock is not like any other call center. We were told that they would be interviewing people for floor support and team leader positions that would be posted on workday. We got to the floor skipped tier 1 nesting and tossed in to production. Management was annoyed that a new class was asking so many questions. Did not have computers for the first 4 weeks of training, Got in the new building 2 months later no evacuation plans. Management pulled people off the phones they liked and were friends with to promote up to team leaders and floor support no interviews involved. lots of nepotism and disorganization. Overstock is not like any other call center I have worked at because every call center I worked at job performance is what got you promoted not how well Management liked you.
Pros
40 hrs a week
Cons
Management and Lots of empty promises
  1. Customer Service Representative