Overstock

Overstock Employee Reviews for Customer Support Representative

I worked here for a little over a year and only ever got to be a tier 3. I advanced to that tier in 6 short months and never had an option for advancement due to reasons that only had to do with the business itself. I was also on the safety committee and they kept cutting our budgets for fun things. That we well deserved for the line of work.
Very political. Favoritism was all over the company. If you didn't know someone in a high-level role you wouldn't get promoted. I really liked my coworkers.
Training was the best part of the whole job, however they did not allow you to do many of the potential phone calls you would receive on the floor. Coworkers were great, management was amazing, but customers 7 times out of 10 were brutal.
The customers are great. All the management is worthless. They don't want to help you they like to watch you fail. You have a question about a change they say they will get back to you and they never do. Thing are always changing and you can not keep up.
I was at the Elma, WA call center. They've fired 90% of the people I knew there, for really STUPID reasons. They treat employees like trash. I don't recommend this place as an employer.
Drama runs deep, and there are 2 groups to work with, accepted or not accepted. Advancement will happen if you move to Utah (they say). Be ready to not be heard or taken seriously if you have problems with work attitudes from both customers and coworkers.
I remember when I first came, it wasn't about making the customer happy it was about doing what was right and just, and allowing the freedom to make decisions that would best impact your job and how you felt in doing it. However it has been restructured multiple times since I started and many after I left. When I went to leave I was offered a dollar raise to leave to a new position and they did not feel the need to offer me the same to keep me, even after telling me that I was a top agent that was looked to for inspiration. Since then I do not know and cannot speak to the experience there, I do know one thing the customers never change its a stressful place because of those expectations, if you can handle it you can go far but you have to put in the time and be willing with the mandatory overtime.
Pros
Lagoon days once a year, and a concert paid for by overstock
Cons
Not willing to work with scheduling of employees who come back from leave
Overstock is difficult to work for, they are not very understanding, and they do not follow Washington's worker laws. They have fired several of my coworkers without any reason. I'm always worried I am going to lose my job.
Pros
through training, above min. wage
Cons
stressful
Very good training available. Learned precise pathways Workplace culture is very supportive. I left for medical reasons before I learned the hardest part
Pros
Company worked with employees.
Cons
Availability of work schedule.
Overstock is a very fun place to work with lots of great people to work with. Overstocks management is very nice and will work with you with most things. They are very laid back and helpful.
This has been a good place to work. The company treats their employees very well.
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
not the field I want to be in
On a regular day, I would expect to take about 30-50 inbound calls. Co-workers are great, and the material used to train is great. What is disappointing is the management and the true materials needed to do daily tasks. While we are expected to give superior customer service, you can expect that almost every policy is only guidelines and customer service is more of just being a push over with no integrity to employees. While advancement is expected to be based on tenure, everyone seemed to receive advancement by favoritism and "knowing the right person". While the hardest part of the job is expecting to calm upset customers, the hardest part came to be that most supervisors will not take an expected supervisor call and resolution is never immediate or straight-forward. Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that while stats do not impact your job, it can play a role to moving up. I didn't have to meet expectations, but you can expect a supervisor to yell out every 5 minutes to do your job.
Pros
small management, close co-workers. everyone listens.
Cons
supervisors work with each other to ensure job security, and sometimes hold people back to keep stats high.
I would help customers with their accounts, placing orders for them and help with product questions. I was promoted to product support team which would deal with all the partners working with the customers for their shipment orders. There was a lot of long days and nights sometimes working through Christmas to get the customers products shipped out in time to meet the Christmas deadlines. The team I worked with was great and I liked the team I worked with.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
longer lunch breaks