Oxfam Employee Reviews

Found 71 reviews matching the search See all 1,981 reviews
I really enjoyed working for oxfam
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway13 April 2019
I worked as an se scheme. i really enjoyed the job and the people i meet there. It was a fun job. But i was only getting paid from welfare so i worked in oxfam for one year i would have stayed on if there was an opportunity too.
Pros
Good place to work no stress
Cons
You couldn't stay on after the scheme
productive workplace
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  IE27 March 2019
productive workplace
Around the globe, we work to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and to thrive. From supporting schools to helping farmers sell their crops for a fair price, and to improving access to people with HIV/AIDS to healthcare – our long-term development projects are transforming lives.

We work with communities to tackle the causes of poverty through a combination of hands-on expertise, financial investment and education. In addition, we give people a voice to speak out against the laws, actions and policies that keep them in poverty.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin24 March 2019
I have been working on Oxfam for six months and is great fun. The managers are lovely and helpful. The costumers are very nice too.
And I like to know I am doing something special, not only for the people the I am helping giving some hours of my time but also is special for myself. I really like the workplace in Oxfam.
Educational and Humbling Experience
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mullingar, County Westmeath8 March 2019
The day to day work life was quite enjoyable. Although it was voluntary work I still received some benefits from the job and gained a lot of experience.
The dynamic in the work place was not great and some employees treated others badly.
Good Job if you're a salesperson, but tough
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin31 January 2019
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
The best place I have ever worked for
Door to door fundraiser/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ringsend, County Dublin3 January 2019
It is hard work but by god it is so worth it. The team is like family, heck they are family. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could but unfortunately I have a bad hip so I can't. Absolutely love Oxfam and everything about them. They have your back and you have theirs, if you need help you can talk to them, they will be there and help you. I am gone just over 2 years and I still see them from time to time.
Couldn't say a bad word about them, it was so fun we used to race each other to doors just to keep up moral.
How it is run and how exciting it is, is just amazing.
Hard when it is lashing rain, cold and you just want people to help with the cause. It can turn fun when you show up at the door pretending its sunny, you meet amazing people, hear unbelievable stories but so worth it with the team by your side
Pros
amazing people, amazing work, amazing cause
Fun and supportive workplace
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sligo12 November 2018
The work is enjoyable and engaging, every day is different. I have learned many valuable new skills. The management team is very supportive. This is a fun and productive place to work.
expérience
Stage (Former Employee) –  County Dublin3 October 2018
Expérience super constructif, qui ma permis d'amélioré mon niveau en langue
Pros
location
Cons
pas de revenu
Journée type
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork, Irlande4 September 2018
Rien de passionnant, on vient au travail faire ce que l'on a faire puis c'est tout.
Okay
Cashier, Clothes Hanging, Stock Organiser (Former Employee) –  High Street10 August 2018
It is volunteer work, easy and enjoyable. It is a joy working with the people that come in and staff are amazing. Typical day consisted of organising clothes that were brought in, tagging and pricing them and taking turns on the cashier and interacting with the customers.
Pros
Amazing customers
Cons
No pay but long hours
Enjoyable and fun loving workplace
Voluntary Work - Work Experience (Former Employee) –  South Dublin, County Dublin10 July 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working with Oxfam. The staff and customers there was so lovely and very welcoming towards me too. The charity shop was easy to travel to as I live very near to it. Overall the experience I got is one, that I'll never ever forget at all. It was nearly eight years ago. Overall it was well worth it in the end.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Trying to complete and finish some tasks in a short space of time
Fun and rewarding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois9 July 2018
I worked there as a volunteer. The Manager was brilliant and the workplace culture was friendly and welcoming. The most enjoyable part was knowing the sales were going to a good cause.
I hated working here
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portarlington, County Laois8 May 2018
I did not like working here at all. They got very little customers so I was just standing looking for things to do. The shop is small so for a long day you have very little to do
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Boring
Warm Atmosphere
DIRECT DIALOGUE FUNDRAISER (Former Employee) –  Dublin26 April 2018
The atmosphere among the staff was very warm and friendly, and there was a good vibe to be felt around the office. The managers mixed with their employees and managed to create strong work relationships with the emplyees.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Stressful fundraising demands
Great Charity Shop
Sales assistant and Stock (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 February 2018
Oxfam is a great Charity Shop where I had my first opportunity to start working as sales assistant and stockroom and it has been providing me a valuable experience to my future.
Sales Assistant
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Galway10 February 2018
Its a great place to work at .Clearly focused on and trying to continue to improve on the development of employees Great working atmosphere and a good bit of banter Loads of social events throughout the year. They listen to employees - there was a staff survey and they took it so seriously and enforced a lot of immediate things and are continually working on implementing more things, so it's impressive to see in an organisation
Pros
it has a nice work environment and is a great starting job to gain some experience"
Cons
"Don't hope for career progression within Oxfam via this route
Fantastic environment
Voluntary Work (Current Employee) –  Phibsborough, County Dublin5 November 2017
Work as volunteer has changed my mind. I feel happy when I go to work because I can meet people there and talk to them. I’m grateful because I’ve been learning about help people.
great place to work
Student (Former Employee) –  Malahide, County Dublin21 October 2017
staff are very nice and customers are easy to work with and not difficult easy. reasonable about when you cant come in at great place to work and easy to tlak with staff
Great place if you are good at Sales
Campaigner (Former Employee) –  Dublin22 August 2017
I worked as a Campaigner for a short while, gathering signatures for a petition on the streets. It is very difficult because you are standing for 8 hours in the pouring rain, trying to make people stop, get out from under their umbrellas and sign the petition.
We also had targets (not only the number of signatures per hour, but we were supposed to get 80% phone numbers from them, so they can be later called and asked if they want to also donate money). We had team leaders coming to us hourly and saying we need to meet our targets, which was very stressful. Also, 2 meetings/week with the manager, for a performance review.
So, although I really believed in the cause and the petition, I didn't manage to meet my targets and convince a lot of people to stop. But if you are good at Sales, the place is great - the team is full of young, vibrant people and the team leaders are friendly and supportive.
Pros
young team, a lot of teambuilding, not working in an office, going to festivals
Cons
working in all weather conditions, working weekends during the summer, strict targets
Très bonne expérience humaine
Stage de vente, assistante manager (Former Employee) –  County Dublin7 August 2017
Stage humanitaire : très bon management et une très bonne expérience humaine avec un enrichissement aussi bien professionnel que personnel.

Aucune opportunité de développement au sein de l'entreprise ou sinon très compliqué.

Aspect difficile : travail très épuisant

Aspect agréable : une équipe très soudé et motivant
Pros
Très bonne expérience humaine
Cons
Aucun salaire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3