Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Very well organized Charity Shop with a wide variety of clothes, shoes, accessories, household utensils, books and toys at an affordable price. Very friendly staff and a comfortable place to go shopping.
Good for college kids looking for some extra money or sales experience. Don't do it full time for a living, especially outside Dublin. Not for meek people, you will be stuck in the rain for 8 hours a day and at some point you'll probably have to argue with management. Colleagues are always cool people though.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
Erratic management
It is a nice place to work, but it is charity so I wasn't paid to work. The environment is nice, relaxed and good management, afterall is a good place to work in the weekend or for who like do charity.
One of the best organisation, great experience, must do it. I worked in a shop, we need to sort clothes and objects and then store them and sell them for the benefits of Oxfam.
loved working here great staff and meeting new people every day everyone was friendly and happy to help felt like i was out with friends and not in work every day
A nice atmosphere to work with lots of skills gained. work as customer service as part of my work experience from college recommendation. its was a great place to work.
Though it is a charity, Oxfam's culture is still one of targets, targets, targets, targets. The team leaders get punished if their group is not up to standard and often so the team. You are encouraged to keep trying to pursuade people despite their persistant 'no' response. The people were pretty nice to work with but the stress was not work the money.
Cons
I was working at Oxfam for a week. I came home most days very wet (it rained almost every day) and I don't know how I didn't catch a cold. The work environment is good, but sometimes it's stressful when someone gets a signature and you still don't have one or when everyone is waiting for you to get one so they can go home. There's pressure sometimes. The bosses are nice for the most part, they helped me a lot in everything I needed. They gave us free food and drinks sometimes. They paid for our training. Good pays (11,11E/h the first 20 days and after that 13,13E/h, but is very hard to arrive there). The worst, the weather conditions you have to face (no matter what the weather, you're going to have to go out there the same), the pressure from the targets and the general rejection. You have to deal with very unpleasant people who sometimes don't even open the door when they see you're Oxfam, they just make gestures of rejection that make you feel terrible. I always thought everyone exaggerated about it, but 8 hours of rejection ends up generating frustration for anyone. Recommended ONLY if you know how to sell.
Very clean, easy to work the the other employees. Management was very good, was able to take orders very well. A very good experience ,with a charity.
Ambiente agradável, o gerente era muito simpático e ajudava nas atividades do dia a dia. Todo dia fazia algo diferente.
Pros
Ambiente agradável
Cons
Nada a reclamar
Like working here as the work gets done and friendly staff and management. Good customer service. You learn so much here. You can work as part of a team and use your own iniative.
Pros
Friendly staff. Good management.
Cons
Unpaid volunteer work.
So far you're constantly hitting your target it's a fun and nice place to work. There's no tension in the work environment. There's a high rate of staff turn over for the door-to-door fundraiser. if you're showing prospect you can become a team leader and earn a slightly higher salary and performance related pay.
Pros
Job is flexible, especially for students in college
Cons
working in outdoor conditions, the pressure as it is a target based driven job same with any job in this category
First time volunteered there in event and I found was interesting in doing different tasks helping the community, explaining customers. I enjoyed learning of what the charity is about and ways of helping. I wouldn't mind volunteering again if they have another event coming up or volunteering in the store.
Pros
I met few nice people
Cons
Hard to say
If you are looking for an opportunity to improve your skills and be introduced in a first job to make contact with people, this retail is a nice start to be a volunteer.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
I worked as an se scheme. i really enjoyed the job and the people i meet there. It was a fun job. But i was only getting paid from welfare so i worked in oxfam for one year i would have stayed on if there was an opportunity too.
Pros
Good place to work no stress
Cons
You couldn't stay on after the scheme
productive workplace Around the globe, we work to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and to thrive. From supporting schools to helping farmers sell their crops for a fair price, and to improving access to people with HIV/AIDS to healthcare – our long-term development projects are transforming lives. We work with communities to tackle the causes of poverty through a combination of hands-on expertise, financial investment and education. In addition, we give people a voice to speak out against the laws, actions and policies that keep them in poverty.
I have been working on Oxfam for six months and is great fun. The managers are lovely and helpful. The costumers are very nice too. And I like to know I am doing something special, not only for the people the I am helping giving some hours of my time but also is special for myself. I really like the workplace in Oxfam.
The day to day work life was quite enjoyable. Although it was voluntary work I still received some benefits from the job and gained a lot of experience. The dynamic in the work place was not great and some employees treated others badly.
doing work experiance was really interesting and fun everyone was so nice and friendly. i learned how to rotate the stock of clothes and label clothes. All the workers where really nice
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
It is hard work but by god it is so worth it. The team is like family, heck they are family. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could but unfortunately I have a bad hip so I can't. Absolutely love Oxfam and everything about them. They have your back and you have theirs, if you need help you can talk to them, they will be there and help you. I am gone just over 2 years and I still see them from time to time. Couldn't say a bad word about them, it was so fun we used to race each other to doors just to keep up moral. How it is run and how exciting it is, is just amazing. Hard when it is lashing rain, cold and you just want people to help with the cause. It can turn fun when you show up at the door pretending its sunny, you meet amazing people, hear unbelievable stories but so worth it with the team by your side
Pros
amazing people, amazing work, amazing cause