Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews in Dublin

Found 34 reviews matching the search See all 2,269 reviews
Not recommended
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 November 2019
I was working at Oxfam for a week. I came home most days very wet (it rained almost every day) and I don't know how I didn't catch a cold. The work environment is good, but sometimes it's stressful when someone gets a signature and you still don't have one or when everyone is waiting for you to get one so they can go home. There's pressure sometimes.

The bosses are nice for the most part, they helped me a lot in everything I needed. They gave us free food and drinks sometimes. They paid for our training. Good pays (11,11E/h the first 20 days and after that 13,13E/h, but is very hard to arrive there).

The worst, the weather conditions you have to face (no matter what the weather, you're going to have to go out there the same), the pressure from the targets and the general rejection. You have to deal with very unpleasant people who sometimes don't even open the door when they see you're Oxfam, they just make gestures of rejection that make you feel terrible. I always thought everyone exaggerated about it, but 8 hours of rejection ends up generating frustration for anyone.

Recommended ONLY if you know how to sell.
Ambiente agradável de se trabalhar
Voluntária (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Irlanda30 September 2019
Ambiente agradável, o gerente era muito simpático e ajudava nas atividades do dia a dia. Todo dia fazia algo diferente.
Pros
Ambiente agradável
Cons
Nada a reclamar
it"s Okay
Door-to-Door Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin13 September 2019
So far you're constantly hitting your target it's a fun and nice place to work. There's no tension in the work environment. There's a high rate of staff turn over for the door-to-door fundraiser.
if you're showing prospect you can become a team leader and earn a slightly higher salary and performance related pay.
Pros
Job is flexible, especially for students in college
Cons
working in outdoor conditions, the pressure as it is a target based driven job same with any job in this category
Good
Volunteer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin26 August 2019
First time volunteered there in event and I found was interesting in doing different tasks helping the community, explaining customers.

I enjoyed learning of what the charity is about and ways of helping.

I wouldn't mind volunteering again if they have another event coming up or volunteering in the store.
Pros
I met few nice people
Cons
Hard to say
productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 February 2019
doing work experiance was really interesting and fun everyone was so nice and friendly. i learned how to rotate the stock of clothes and label clothes. All the workers where really nice
Good Job if you're a salesperson, but tough
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin31 January 2019
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
Warm Atmosphere
DIRECT DIALOGUE FUNDRAISER (Former Employee) –  Dublin26 April 2018
The atmosphere among the staff was very warm and friendly, and there was a good vibe to be felt around the office. The managers mixed with their employees and managed to create strong work relationships with the emplyees.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Stressful fundraising demands
Great Charity Shop
Sales assistant and Stock (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 February 2018
Oxfam is a great Charity Shop where I had my first opportunity to start working as sales assistant and stockroom and it has been providing me a valuable experience to my future.
Great place if you are good at Sales
Campaigner (Former Employee) –  Dublin22 August 2017
I worked as a Campaigner for a short while, gathering signatures for a petition on the streets. It is very difficult because you are standing for 8 hours in the pouring rain, trying to make people stop, get out from under their umbrellas and sign the petition.
We also had targets (not only the number of signatures per hour, but we were supposed to get 80% phone numbers from them, so they can be later called and asked if they want to also donate money). We had team leaders coming to us hourly and saying we need to meet our targets, which was very stressful. Also, 2 meetings/week with the manager, for a performance review.
So, although I really believed in the cause and the petition, I didn't manage to meet my targets and convince a lot of people to stop. But if you are good at Sales, the place is great - the team is full of young, vibrant people and the team leaders are friendly and supportive.
Pros
young team, a lot of teambuilding, not working in an office, going to festivals
Cons
working in all weather conditions, working weekends during the summer, strict targets
Rewarding
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 July 2017
Early morning start leading to a tiring day depending on hours. Pleasant staff. I learned communication and team work is important.
Managing the stock was hard when a lot came in at once.
nice work with nice people
Voluntary Sales Executive with Oxfam (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 July 2017
I enjoyed a lot working in Oxfam I met a lot of lovely people who helped me a lot. When I started to work in Oxfam my english wasn´t good so sometimes it was a little bit hard undertand when someon talked to me so i think this was the hardest part of the job. I was pleasure to had worked there.
Enjoyable.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 May 2017
Working in oxfam is very rewarding personally, but financially, it isnt( i was a volunteer) staff there are extremely friendly. Communication skills are a must, as most employees are non native english speakers, but these skills will improve. Overall, its a very good place to gain experience and i would recommend it.
Pros
Extremely friendly and relaxed enviroment
Cons
No pay (Majority of the time)
Nice People
Fundraiser Door to Door (Current Employee) –  Dublin12 April 2017
Oxfam is a place with nice people to work with, I learned a lot with people there. I also could improve my english very much in a short period of time.
The work is very hard though. Spend long hours on the streets talking to people that do not want to talk to you and receiving loads of negative answers is one of the hardest parts of the work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours on the street
A good place to work and make friends
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dublin4 March 2017
A typical day is compost to organize the shop, to attendance the customers, to move furniture, to make electrical tests and electric donations e activities of cashier.
Fun
Not a respected job
Negative impact on public
Well organised
Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
Empresa organizada e pró-ativa
Assistente Administrativo (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Irlanda14 December 2016
A Oxfam é uma organização humanitária, que ajuda principalmente as crianças da África, possibilitando o acesso a água, alimentos, educação, etc. Então, minhas atividades eram diversas, variando entre: angariar fundos nas ruas, recolher doações como roupas, atuar como caixa e vendedor nas lojas da Oxfam,
Neste emprego, eu aprendi a me relacionar melhor com os mais diversos tipos de pessoas, pois na Oxfam, trabalha-se pessoas do mundo inteiro.
A gerência era bastante tranquila, me proporcionando autonomia. A parte mais fácil do trabalho era trabalhar na loja, e a mais difícil era angariar fundos.
Pros
Multiculturalidade
Good and busy enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 November 2016
Good place to work in, meeting new people and improve personal skills.

My duties was always focused on customers, that a why I learned how to deal with all kind of customers, that sometimes were rude.
Thanks to the manager to my colleagues and, most of all, to the consumers, I enjoyed every hour working in the shop.
Pros
International environment
Cons
No salary
Disillusioned
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin19 September 2016
I am currently employed by this charity as a store manager. Every day is a huge pressure, trying to sort donations with little help as volunteers are thin on the ground. So you will find yourself working alone quite often. The pressure from retail head office is relentless as you can never make enough money to keep them off your back. Then you get emails from various head office personnel, there seems to be endless "heads of departments" all of which are invisible to the store managers and none of us know what they do.
The retail part appears to be run by people who should have moved on 20 years ago and no longer know what they are doing, but are happy to take their over-inflated salaries.
Pros
Great store team
Cons
long hours (unpaid) incompetent and overly agrressive head office.
Fun Work Place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  George Street Dublin 24 August 2016
Good team spirit and very good collegues. I learnt to be cooperative and be kind to my work collegues as well the management was very good to the staff. The hardest part of the job was monitoring shop lifters and the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication we each had with each other in the work place.
Pros
Good team spirit
Cons
Productive and fun loving people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin26 February 2016
I enjoy working as a volunteer in the shop, I learnt how to operate the till, customer service etc. My co-worker are very helpful and my manager is wonderful and kind person.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3