Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews for Fundraiser

Fundraiser11 reviews
Ireland11 reviews
It is hard work but by god it is so worth it. The team is like family, heck they are family. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could but unfortunately I have a bad hip so I can't. Absolutely love Oxfam and everything about them. They have your back and you have theirs, if you need help you can talk to them, they will be there and help you. I am gone just over 2 years and I still see them from time to time.
Couldn't say a bad word about them, it was so fun we used to race each other to doors just to keep up moral.

How it is run and how exciting it is, is just amazing.

Hard when it is lashing rain, cold and you just want people to help with the cause. It can turn fun when you show up at the door pretending its sunny, you meet amazing people, hear unbelievable stories but so worth it with the team by your side
Pros
amazing people, amazing work, amazing cause
Good for college kids looking for some extra money or sales experience. Don't do it full time for a living, especially outside Dublin. Not for meek people, you will be stuck in the rain for 8 hours a day and at some point you'll probably have to argue with management. Colleagues are always cool people though.
Pros
Sales experience
Cons
Erratic management
Though it is a charity, Oxfam's culture is still one of targets, targets, targets, targets. The team leaders get punished if their group is not up to standard and often so the team. You are encouraged to keep trying to pursuade people despite their persistant 'no' response. The people were pretty nice to work with but the stress was not work the money.
Cons
I was working at Oxfam for a week. I came home most days very wet (it rained almost every day) and I don't know how I didn't catch a cold. The work environment is good, but sometimes it's stressful when someone gets a signature and you still don't have one or when everyone is waiting for you to get one so they can go home. There's pressure sometimes.

The bosses are nice for the most part, they helped me a lot in everything I needed. They gave us free food and drinks sometimes. They paid for our training. Good pays (11,11E/h the first 20 days and after that 13,13E/h, but is very hard to arrive there).

The worst, the weather conditions you have to face (no matter what the weather, you're going to have to go out there the same), the pressure from the targets and the general rejection. You have to deal with very unpleasant people who sometimes don't even open the door when they see you're Oxfam, they just make gestures of rejection that make you feel terrible. I always thought everyone exaggerated about it, but 8 hours of rejection ends up generating frustration for anyone.

Recommended ONLY if you know how to sell.
So far you're constantly hitting your target it's a fun and nice place to work. There's no tension in the work environment. There's a high rate of staff turn over for the door-to-door fundraiser.
if you're showing prospect you can become a team leader and earn a slightly higher salary and performance related pay.
Pros
Job is flexible, especially for students in college
Cons
working in outdoor conditions, the pressure as it is a target based driven job same with any job in this category
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
The atmosphere among the staff was very warm and friendly, and there was a good vibe to be felt around the office. The managers mixed with their employees and managed to create strong work relationships with the emplyees.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Stressful fundraising demands
Oxfam is a place with nice people to work with, I learned a lot with people there. I also could improve my english very much in a short period of time.
The work is very hard though. Spend long hours on the streets talking to people that do not want to talk to you and receiving loads of negative answers is one of the hardest parts of the work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours on the street
I was let go after one week due to not getting the donors. I feel i wasnt giving enough time and effort to get the skills I required. They never gave me the proper chance to blossom in the company.
Great crowd

Not a respected job

Negative impact on public

Well organised

Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
Oxfam overall was a fun place to work in, with really good employees who would help you with anything and who would take the time to share few jokes with you to lighten up the work environment. I learned so much from there and they are really doing a great job in helping people all over the world who are in need. I am happy I was able to help out with the Nepal disaster during my time there by bringing in donations. I would have never thought of doing it on my own had not the managers in Oxfam inspired me and motivated me. They have really good team leaders and Managers to keep their work going. Everybody there was friendly and helpful. A really good charity company I would say. It is because of Oxfam that I am able to gain so much confidence and become a better person both personally and professionally. Our fundraising department had the best bunch of people I ever met in my life. Everybody was so dedicated and passionate about their job that they inspired me so much and I was able to work alongside them with the same energy as them. I am really glad I got the opportunity to work in such a positive and healthy work place like Oxfam.
Pros
Free coffee and sometimes food, lively and vibrant work place, positive people around