Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

Like working here as the work gets done and friendly staff and management. Good customer service. You learn so much here. You can work as part of a team and use your own iniative.
Pros
Friendly staff. Good management.
Cons
Unpaid volunteer work.
The day to day work life was quite enjoyable. Although it was voluntary work I still received some benefits from the job and gained a lot of experience. The dynamic in the work place was not great and some employees treated others badly.
I did not like working here at all. They got very little customers so I was just standing looking for things to do. The shop is small so for a long day you have very little to do
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Boring
Volunteer Retail assistant cashier, with responsibility for opening and closing the shop depending on hours given. I enjoy helping Oxfam through bringing in money to support causes such as the Syrian conflict and the Ebola crisis last year.
On a typical day I start at 12 and finish at 5. My main jobs were to make sure that the store was presentable which involved making sure that all the clothes were properly folded and well placed and working on the till at the front desk. What I took away from the job is how to work efficiently in a working environment and how to provide good and quality costumer service. For me there was no part of the job that I didn't enjoy because I got to meet and interact with different people from all walks of life which was very enjoyable. My co-workers were quite friendly and helpful when help was needed. The management within the shop was well organised and there was never a crisis.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
N/a
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations that work on finding solutions to stop the poverty around the Globe. As a volunteer you can do many different kind of works, as an example, you can donate directly on the website, shop online, buy Christmas gift cards, donate your time by working in events or their shops, or simply donating that old things you have and don't use anymore, so instead throwing them way, why don't give it for a good cause? Their work is serious and everything you donate you know where it goes by receiving your receipt. On my first day I really had fun and learnt lots of new things about management, customer service and shop floor. I practically did a bit of everything in the store, starting by sorting the clothes they received as donation, steaming them, tagging, helping the customers and managing the money. It has been a really good time working at the shop, I even couldn't see the time passing by, the other volunteers are really nice people and most of them are from different countries, so it is a nice opportunity to learn more about different cultures as well as improve your English! Working as a volunteer feels very nice as you can develop yourself in a lots of different ways by giving your time to help others, it shows that no matter who you are or what you do for living, you can always contribute to help those who need help!
Pros
I learnt a lot already about retail and customer service.
Cons
non paid job
A typical day of work would start with a brief discussion with my manager about the work I was expected to do for the day and counting the float for the till. Some days l had to change the displayed items for sale on the shop window and that involved a lot of creativity and a passion for fashion in order to attract customers to come in and view and hopefully make a purchase. The challenging part of the job was to handle challenging customers. During the course of my work l learnt that the best way to deal with challenging customers is listening to the customer, honestly assessing if l am able to assist them or if the problem is beyond me ,I get proper support and work with them to ensure satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see a customer coming out of shop smiling.
Pros
great discount on in house purchases.
Cons
Standing on your feet all day.
I found volunteering in this charity shop very awarding, due to a combination between the lovely customers and very helpful co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was setting up the display and interacting with customers.
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Pros
giving back to local area
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oxfam?