Oxfam

Oxfam Job security & advancement reviews

One of the best organisation, great experience, must do it. I worked in a shop, we need to sort clothes and objects and then store them and sell them for the benefits of Oxfam.
So far you're constantly hitting your target it's a fun and nice place to work. There's no tension in the work environment. There's a high rate of staff turn over for the door-to-door fundraiser. if you're showing prospect you can become a team leader and earn a slightly higher salary and performance related pay.
Pros
Job is flexible, especially for students in college
Cons
working in outdoor conditions, the pressure as it is a target based driven job same with any job in this category
If you are looking for an opportunity to improve your skills and be introduced in a first job to make contact with people, this retail is a nice start to be a volunteer.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
The day to day work life was quite enjoyable. Although it was voluntary work I still received some benefits from the job and gained a lot of experience. The dynamic in the work place was not great and some employees treated others badly.
I worked here for a month for work experience. This work was completely voluntary and I was not paid. I worked here to improve myself as a worker and to give back to the community.
Oxfam is a great Charity Shop where I had my first opportunity to start working as sales assistant and stockroom and it has been providing me a valuable experience to my future.
Its a great place to work at .Clearly focused on and trying to continue to improve on the development of employees Great working atmosphere and a good bit of banter Loads of social events throughout the year. They listen to employees - there was a staff survey and they took it so seriously and enforced a lot of immediate things and are continually working on implementing more things, so it's impressive to see in an organisation
Pros
it has a nice work environment and is a great starting job to gain some experience"
Cons
"Don't hope for career progression within Oxfam via this route
Stage humanitaire : très bon management et une très bonne expérience humaine avec un enrichissement aussi bien professionnel que personnel. Aucune opportunité de développement au sein de l'entreprise ou sinon très compliqué. Aspect difficile : travail très épuisant Aspect agréable : une équipe très soudé et motivant
Pros
Très bonne expérience humaine
Cons
Aucun salaire
An organisation that does not like to promote volunteers. The chances of moving to a paid job in Oxfam if you are a volunteer or a scheme worker are very small. Regardless of how many years of experience you have you have to go through an interview process and in most cases a person from outside is being selected instead of a dedicated volunteer.
Pros
Wonderful volunteers
Cons
Shop volunteers are not given enough recognition from the people at the top of the organisation
I enjoyed a lot working in Oxfam I met a lot of lovely people who helped me a lot. When I started to work in Oxfam my english wasn´t good so sometimes it was a little bit hard undertand when someon talked to me so i think this was the hardest part of the job. I was pleasure to had worked there.
Working in oxfam is very rewarding personally, but financially, it isnt( i was a volunteer) staff there are extremely friendly. Communication skills are a must, as most employees are non native english speakers, but these skills will improve. Overall, its a very good place to gain experience and i would recommend it.
Pros
Extremely friendly and relaxed enviroment
Cons
No pay (Majority of the time)
not much communication between warehouses and shops but great place to get work experience. most enjoyable part would be making a life long friend within the three years working there
Pros
getting experience
Cons
voluntary
My time volunteering at Oxfam was great I learned a lot on how a charity organisation works and how to apart of a business and I would do it again
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
One day is never the same as the next as each day brings different customers from a variety of nationalities. I am gain enough experience to progress to a management role possibly within another organisation as no vacancy at present.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of customers also staff
Cons
non
Lovely people, great experience. Oxfam is a wonderful place to develop both socially and mentally. Meeting new people show different sides to the world, to Limerick.
Pros
Valid life experience in the retail worls
Cons
No pay
The atmosphere was always friendly and welcoming at work. It was nice to know more about Oxfam as time went on and how they helped those who needed them most
Excellent experience, I really recommand Oxfam especially for foreign student. I learnt a lot with irish coworker like: Management, sales, promoting oxfam's values and so on The hardest part was the integration but once you show you love them they will be very helpful
Pros
everything
Cons
no salary
C'est dans le but de perfectionner mon Anglais que j'ai intégré cette structure. Il s'agit d'un magasin de charité, vendant essentiellement des vêtements pour femmes, mais également divers autres choses, tel que les livres, les articles multimédias ou encore le linge de maison. Le magasin récupère des vêtements et objets de 2nd main dont les gens ne veulent plus. de ce fait le magasin n'a pas besoin de dépenser de l'argent pour s'approvisionner. Lors d'une journée de travail, le magasin ouvre à 10h. Il faut vérifier que le magasin soit plein, et que les articles mis en vente soient corrects. Pour les articles qui ne sont pas vendable, nous les envoyons dans un centre de recyclage. Pour ce qui est du personnel, il s'agit uniquement de bénévole, ce qui rend le magasin difficile à gérer mais pas tant que ça, car l'esprit de charité est très répandu en Irlande. Il faut donc veiller à ce que les volontaires aient chacun une tâche allouée. Du tri des dons jusqu'à la gestion de la caisse. Ce fut une expérience très enrichissante, car les volontaires n'étant pas payer viennent car ils en ont envie. Ce qui change la vision que l'on peut avoir du travail. C'est très difficile à exprimer car ce n'est pas quelque chose que l'on apprend sur les chaises d'une école ou encore dans les livres. Il s'agit d'une expérience humaine avant tous.
Pros
Des gens agréables, près à donner de leur temps.
Cons
Une clientèle parfois peut reconnaissante.
I Still Working in the Oxfam 1 day. there are many worker work in the Oxfam and there are many things to learn
Pros
Tea, Coffee
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Pros
giving back to local area
Cons
It's the perfect place to get some experience also being a part of a huge O.N.G famous all over the world. I can improve my English speaking and get some knowledge about how a store works over here.
Pros
You can take a part of a huge ONG
Cons
volunteer