Oxfam

Oxfam Work-life balance reviews

It is hard work but by god it is so worth it. The team is like family, heck they are family. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could but unfortunately I have a bad hip so I can't. Absolutely love Oxfam and everything about them. They have your back and you have theirs, if you need help you can talk to them, they will be there and help you. I am gone just over 2 years and I still see them from time to time. Couldn't say a bad word about them, it was so fun we used to race each other to doors just to keep up moral. How it is run and how exciting it is, is just amazing. Hard when it is lashing rain, cold and you just want people to help with the cause. It can turn fun when you show up at the door pretending its sunny, you meet amazing people, hear unbelievable stories but so worth it with the team by your side
Pros
amazing people, amazing work, amazing cause
Though it is a charity, Oxfam's culture is still one of targets, targets, targets, targets. The team leaders get punished if their group is not up to standard and often so the team. You are encouraged to keep trying to pursuade people despite their persistant 'no' response. The people were pretty nice to work with but the stress was not work the money.
Cons
I was working at Oxfam for a week. I came home most days very wet (it rained almost every day) and I don't know how I didn't catch a cold. The work environment is good, but sometimes it's stressful when someone gets a signature and you still don't have one or when everyone is waiting for you to get one so they can go home. There's pressure sometimes. The bosses are nice for the most part, they helped me a lot in everything I needed. They gave us free food and drinks sometimes. They paid for our training. Good pays (11,11E/h the first 20 days and after that 13,13E/h, but is very hard to arrive there). The worst, the weather conditions you have to face (no matter what the weather, you're going to have to go out there the same), the pressure from the targets and the general rejection. You have to deal with very unpleasant people who sometimes don't even open the door when they see you're Oxfam, they just make gestures of rejection that make you feel terrible. I always thought everyone exaggerated about it, but 8 hours of rejection ends up generating frustration for anyone. Recommended ONLY if you know how to sell.
First time volunteered there in event and I found was interesting in doing different tasks helping the community, explaining customers. I enjoyed learning of what the charity is about and ways of helping. I wouldn't mind volunteering again if they have another event coming up or volunteering in the store.
Pros
I met few nice people
Cons
Hard to say
The day to day work life was quite enjoyable. Although it was voluntary work I still received some benefits from the job and gained a lot of experience. The dynamic in the work place was not great and some employees treated others badly.
Decent pay with bonuses. Rewarding job, decent management to help, a good team to help you as well. Biggest issue is the job itself. Its hard to sell charity outside for 8 hours a day, as well as the fact you're talking about very harrowing stories so can have an effect on mental health.
It is volunteer work, easy and enjoyable. It is a joy working with the people that come in and staff are amazing. Typical day consisted of organising clothes that were brought in, tagging and pricing them and taking turns on the cashier and interacting with the customers.
Pros
Amazing customers
Cons
No pay but long hours
I did not like working here at all. They got very little customers so I was just standing looking for things to do. The shop is small so for a long day you have very little to do
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Boring
Its a great place to work at .Clearly focused on and trying to continue to improve on the development of employees Great working atmosphere and a good bit of banter Loads of social events throughout the year. They listen to employees - there was a staff survey and they took it so seriously and enforced a lot of immediate things and are continually working on implementing more things, so it's impressive to see in an organisation
Pros
it has a nice work environment and is a great starting job to gain some experience"
Cons
"Don't hope for career progression within Oxfam via this route
Work as volunteer has changed my mind. I feel happy when I go to work because I can meet people there and talk to them. I’m grateful because I’ve been learning about help people.
Stage humanitaire : très bon management et une très bonne expérience humaine avec un enrichissement aussi bien professionnel que personnel. Aucune opportunité de développement au sein de l'entreprise ou sinon très compliqué. Aspect difficile : travail très épuisant Aspect agréable : une équipe très soudé et motivant
Pros
Très bonne expérience humaine
Cons
Aucun salaire
Early morning start leading to a tiring day depending on hours. Pleasant staff. I learned communication and team work is important. Managing the stock was hard when a lot came in at once.
Oxfam make me happy and useful. There I can 0ratice English and meet people, my manager is a lovely person. This work is voluntary. For me is the best because I can help people.
Pros
Practice English
Oxfam is a place with nice people to work with, I learned a lot with people there. I also could improve my english very much in a short period of time. The work is very hard though. Spend long hours on the streets talking to people that do not want to talk to you and receiving loads of negative answers is one of the hardest parts of the work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours on the street
I was let go after one week due to not getting the donors. I feel i wasnt giving enough time and effort to get the skills I required. They never gave me the proper chance to blossom in the company.
Cons
A Oxfam é uma organização humanitária, que ajuda principalmente as crianças da África, possibilitando o acesso a água, alimentos, educação, etc. Então, minhas atividades eram diversas, variando entre: angariar fundos nas ruas, recolher doações como roupas, atuar como caixa e vendedor nas lojas da Oxfam, Neste emprego, eu aprendi a me relacionar melhor com os mais diversos tipos de pessoas, pois na Oxfam, trabalha-se pessoas do mundo inteiro. A gerência era bastante tranquila, me proporcionando autonomia. A parte mais fácil do trabalho era trabalhar na loja, e a mais difícil era angariar fundos.
Pros
Multiculturalidade
I am currently employed by this charity as a store manager. Every day is a huge pressure, trying to sort donations with little help as volunteers are thin on the ground. So you will find yourself working alone quite often. The pressure from retail head office is relentless as you can never make enough money to keep them off your back. Then you get emails from various head office personnel, there seems to be endless "heads of departments" all of which are invisible to the store managers and none of us know what they do. The retail part appears to be run by people who should have moved on 20 years ago and no longer know what they are doing, but are happy to take their over-inflated salaries.
Pros
Great store team
Cons
long hours (unpaid) incompetent and overly agrressive head office.
Good team spirit and very good collegues. I learnt to be cooperative and be kind to my work collegues as well the management was very good to the staff. The hardest part of the job was monitoring shop lifters and the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication we each had with each other in the work place.
Pros
Good team spirit
Cons
sorting through donation bags Banking previous days taking
C'est dans le but de perfectionner mon Anglais que j'ai intégré cette structure. Il s'agit d'un magasin de charité, vendant essentiellement des vêtements pour femmes, mais également divers autres choses, tel que les livres, les articles multimédias ou encore le linge de maison. Le magasin récupère des vêtements et objets de 2nd main dont les gens ne veulent plus. de ce fait le magasin n'a pas besoin de dépenser de l'argent pour s'approvisionner. Lors d'une journée de travail, le magasin ouvre à 10h. Il faut vérifier que le magasin soit plein, et que les articles mis en vente soient corrects. Pour les articles qui ne sont pas vendable, nous les envoyons dans un centre de recyclage. Pour ce qui est du personnel, il s'agit uniquement de bénévole, ce qui rend le magasin difficile à gérer mais pas tant que ça, car l'esprit de charité est très répandu en Irlande. Il faut donc veiller à ce que les volontaires aient chacun une tâche allouée. Du tri des dons jusqu'à la gestion de la caisse. Ce fut une expérience très enrichissante, car les volontaires n'étant pas payer viennent car ils en ont envie. Ce qui change la vision que l'on peut avoir du travail. C'est très difficile à exprimer car ce n'est pas quelque chose que l'on apprend sur les chaises d'une école ou encore dans les livres. Il s'agit d'une expérience humaine avant tous.
Pros
Des gens agréables, près à donner de leur temps.
Cons
Une clientèle parfois peut reconnaissante.
a typical day at work was to secure everybody and do tasks.i learned how to communicate with people and organise.management was very strict but good because of the work that got done.co-workers were very good because they learned very quick.the hardest prt of the shop was doing security because when there was trouble it was a big problem.the most enjoyble part was working with other people on tasks.
Pros
free lunches