Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Ireland91 reviews
Very well organized Charity Shop with a wide variety of clothes, shoes, accessories, household utensils, books and toys at an affordable price.

Very friendly staff and a comfortable place to go shopping.
Oxfam make me happy and useful. There I can 0ratice English and meet people, my manager is a lovely person. This work is voluntary. For me is the best because I can help people.
Pros
Practice English
I was a volunteer worker which i enjoyed.
You meet new friend's who are fun and caring. If you are stuck they are there to help.

You learn how to work tills which can be difficult.
Pros
People are friendly
Working in oxfam is very rewarding personally, but financially, it isnt( i was a volunteer) staff there are extremely friendly. Communication skills are a must, as most employees are non native english speakers, but these skills will improve. Overall, its a very good place to gain experience and i would recommend it.
Pros
Extremely friendly and relaxed enviroment
Cons
No pay (Majority of the time)
We don't have a typical day at work, every day is different and I like this. I am learning a new things every day. I have a good management who trust on me. I like to meet different persons. We dont have a hardest part of the job. There is a great ambience.
Pros
good management, great ambience
Cons
nothing
Oxfam is a place with nice people to work with, I learned a lot with people there. I also could improve my english very much in a short period of time.
The work is very hard though. Spend long hours on the streets talking to people that do not want to talk to you and receiving loads of negative answers is one of the hardest parts of the work.
Pros
nice people to work with
Cons
long hours on the street
I was let go after one week due to not getting the donors. I feel i wasnt giving enough time and effort to get the skills I required. They never gave me the proper chance to blossom in the company.
Cons
A typical day is compost to organize the shop, to attendance the customers, to move furniture, to make electrical tests and electric donations e activities of cashier.
Great crowd

Not a respected job

Negative impact on public

Well organised

Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
A very fun, vibrant and brilliant place to work. Every moment is enjoyable as well as productive. The staff are very kind to work with and the managers are always there to help you.
i had worked in Oxfam, i had got alot of expeirence.
I have learned alot by working in Ofam,

My co-workers were nice and pleasent to work with i had got on fantastic with them.
working in Oxfam should me how to price things and work in a volunteer environment which is good. you also work in a team. it is a fun and enjoyable environment to be in.
not much communication between warehouses and shops but great place to get work experience. most enjoyable part would be making a life long friend within the three years working there
Pros
getting experience
Cons
voluntary
A Oxfam é uma organização humanitária, que ajuda principalmente as crianças da África, possibilitando o acesso a água, alimentos, educação, etc. Então, minhas atividades eram diversas, variando entre: angariar fundos nas ruas, recolher doações como roupas, atuar como caixa e vendedor nas lojas da Oxfam,
Neste emprego, eu aprendi a me relacionar melhor com os mais diversos tipos de pessoas, pois na Oxfam, trabalha-se pessoas do mundo inteiro.

A gerência era bastante tranquila, me proporcionando autonomia. A parte mais fácil do trabalho era trabalhar na loja, e a mais difícil era angariar fundos.
Pros
Multiculturalidade
My time volunteering at Oxfam was great I learned a lot on how a charity organisation works and how to apart of a business and I would do it again
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Good place to work in, meeting new people and improve personal skills.

My duties was always focused on customers, that a why I learned how to deal with all kind of customers, that sometimes were rude.

Thanks to the manager to my colleagues and, most of all, to the consumers, I enjoyed every hour working in the shop.
Pros
International environment
Cons
No salary
One day is never the same as the next as each day brings different customers from a variety of nationalities. I am gain enough experience to progress to a management role possibly within another organisation as no vacancy at present.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of customers also staff
Cons
non
I am currently employed by this charity as a store manager. Every day is a huge pressure, trying to sort donations with little help as volunteers are thin on the ground. So you will find yourself working alone quite often. The pressure from retail head office is relentless as you can never make enough money to keep them off your back. Then you get emails from various head office personnel, there seems to be endless "heads of departments" all of which are invisible to the store managers and none of us know what they do.
The retail part appears to be run by people who should have moved on 20 years ago and no longer know what they are doing, but are happy to take their over-inflated salaries.
Pros
Great store team
Cons
long hours (unpaid) incompetent and overly agrressive head office.
Good team spirit and very good collegues. I learnt to be cooperative and be kind to my work collegues as well the management was very good to the staff. The hardest part of the job was monitoring shop lifters and the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication we each had with each other in the work place.
Pros
Good team spirit
Cons
Volunteer Retail assistant cashier, with responsibility for opening and closing the shop depending on hours given. I enjoy helping Oxfam through bringing in money to support causes such as the Syrian conflict and the Ebola crisis last year.
Lovely people, great experience. Oxfam is a wonderful place to develop both socially and mentally. Meeting new people show different sides to the world, to Limerick.
Pros
Valid life experience in the retail worls
Cons
No pay