Oxfam Employee Reviews

Not a respected job
Negative impact on public
Well organised
Reliable management
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Outdoors job
Fun and productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Limerick20 January 2017
A very fun, vibrant and brilliant place to work. Every moment is enjoyable as well as productive. The staff are very kind to work with and the managers are always there to help you.
productive and fun place to work in
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois18 January 2017
i had worked in Oxfam, i had got alot of expeirence.
I have learned alot by working in Ofam,
My co-workers were nice and pleasent to work with i had got on fantastic with them.
workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath13 January 2017
working in Oxfam should me how to price things and work in a volunteer environment which is good. you also work in a team. it is a fun and enjoyable environment to be in.
great getting out on the road travelling
van helper (Former Employee) –  ireland4 January 2017
not much communication between warehouses and shops but great place to get work experience. most enjoyable part would be making a life long friend within the three years working there
Pros
getting experience
Cons
voluntary
Empresa organizada e pró-ativa
Assistente Administrativo (Former Employee) –  Dublin, Irlanda14 December 2016
A Oxfam é uma organização humanitária, que ajuda principalmente as crianças da África, possibilitando o acesso a água, alimentos, educação, etc. Então, minhas atividades eram diversas, variando entre: angariar fundos nas ruas, recolher doações como roupas, atuar como caixa e vendedor nas lojas da Oxfam,
Neste emprego, eu aprendi a me relacionar melhor com os mais diversos tipos de pessoas, pois na Oxfam, trabalha-se pessoas do mundo inteiro.
A gerência era bastante tranquila, me proporcionando autonomia. A parte mais fácil do trabalho era trabalhar na loja, e a mais difícil era angariar fundos.
Pros
Multiculturalidade
fun and easygoing workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cork5 December 2016
My time volunteering at Oxfam was great I learned a lot on how a charity organisation works and how to apart of a business and I would do it again
Pros
flexible hours
Good and busy enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 November 2016
Good place to work in, meeting new people and improve personal skills.

My duties was always focused on customers, that a why I learned how to deal with all kind of customers, that sometimes were rude.
Thanks to the manager to my colleagues and, most of all, to the consumers, I enjoyed every hour working in the shop.
Pros
International environment
Cons
No salary
Productive and fun place to work
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Limerick21 November 2016
One day is never the same as the next as each day brings different customers from a variety of nationalities. I am gain enough experience to progress to a management role possibly within another organisation as no vacancy at present.
Pros
Meeting a wide variety of customers also staff
Cons
non
Disillusioned
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin19 September 2016
I am currently employed by this charity as a store manager. Every day is a huge pressure, trying to sort donations with little help as volunteers are thin on the ground. So you will find yourself working alone quite often. The pressure from retail head office is relentless as you can never make enough money to keep them off your back. Then you get emails from various head office personnel, there seems to be endless "heads of departments" all of which are invisible to the store managers and none of us know what they do.
The retail part appears to be run by people who should have moved on 20 years ago and no longer know what they are doing, but are happy to take their over-inflated salaries.
Pros
Great store team
Cons
long hours (unpaid) incompetent and overly agrressive head office.
Fun Work Place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  George Street Dublin 24 August 2016
Good team spirit and very good collegues. I learnt to be cooperative and be kind to my work collegues as well the management was very good to the staff. The hardest part of the job was monitoring shop lifters and the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication we each had with each other in the work place.
Pros
Good team spirit
Fun work Place
Volunteer (Shop Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Limerick10 July 2016
Volunteer Retail assistant cashier, with responsibility for opening and closing the shop depending on hours given. I enjoy helping Oxfam through bringing in money to support causes such as the Syrian conflict and the Ebola crisis last year.
Productive, fun and overall a joyous place to work
Retail Sales Assistant, Customer service (Current Employee) –  Limerick9 July 2016
Lovely people, great experience. Oxfam is a wonderful place to develop both socially and mentally. Meeting new people show different sides to the world, to Limerick.
Pros
Valid life experience in the retail worls
Cons
No pay
Productive and fun work place.
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick1 June 2016
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I got to meet many new people and we really worked well together as a team. My typical day at work would have been going threw donations and organising what we could actually sell, making sure items were clean and ironed, I then labelled and priced different donations and then organised them in the shop.
Pros
I enjoyed feeling helpful.
Productive and fun loving people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin26 February 2016
I enjoy working as a volunteer in the shop, I learnt how to operate the till, customer service etc. My co-worker are very helpful and my manager is wonderful and kind person.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Enjoyable and Great for work experience
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunleary, D1 January 2016
On a typical day I start at 12 and finish at 5. My main jobs were to make sure that the store was presentable which involved making sure that all the clothes were properly folded and well placed and working on the till at the front desk. What I took away from the job is how to work efficiently in a working environment and how to provide good and quality costumer service. For me there was no part of the job that I didn't enjoy because I got to meet and interact with different people from all walks of life which was very enjoyable. My co-workers were quite friendly and helpful when help was needed. The management within the shop was well organised and there was never a crisis.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
N/a
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sligo14 December 2015
The atmosphere was always friendly and welcoming at work. It was nice to know more about Oxfam as time went on and how they helped those who needed them most
Excellent for foreign student
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork, C2 December 2015
Excellent experience, I really recommand Oxfam especially for foreign student.

I learnt a lot with irish coworker like: Management, sales, promoting oxfam's values and so on

The hardest part was the integration but once you show you love them they will be very helpful
Pros
everything
Cons
no salary
Fun and great place to work
Social Media Manager (Current Employee) –  Dublin3 November 2015
I volunteer at Oxfam Bookshop as both a regular staff member and as a social media manager. It's a nice place to work and the staff are friendly and extremely sociable. While it's unpaid work, you learn how to deal with customers, check in stock and get a sense of how to approach customers who are on the shop floor. It helps that the managers there look out for you when you've just started and are around if you have questions or a problem.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, flexible working hours
Cons
Volunteer positions only
Volunteer
Sales assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dublin, 619 October 2015
I work putting the stock on shelves and displays, checking goods prior to sale to ensure they are in working order and fit for sale. Cleaning sales area in order to maintain a safe working environment. Operating the till and accurately counting and reconciling the till float. Completing all paperwork and then filing it accordingly and Filling out Quotations, Customer Invoices, Orders & Delivery Notes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3