Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Very well organized Charity Shop with a wide variety of clothes, shoes, accessories, household utensils, books and toys at an affordable price. Very friendly staff and a comfortable place to go shopping.
I really enjoyed volunteering here, I got to meet many new people and we really worked well together as a team. My typical day at work would have been going threw donations and organising what we could actually sell, making sure items were clean and ironed, I then labelled and priced different donations and then organised them in the shop.
Pros
I enjoyed feeling helpful.
I enjoy working as a volunteer in the shop, I learnt how to operate the till, customer service etc. My co-worker are very helpful and my manager is wonderful and kind person.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
On a typical day I start at 12 and finish at 5. My main jobs were to make sure that the store was presentable which involved making sure that all the clothes were properly folded and well placed and working on the till at the front desk. What I took away from the job is how to work efficiently in a working environment and how to provide good and quality costumer service. For me there was no part of the job that I didn't enjoy because I got to meet and interact with different people from all walks of life which was very enjoyable. My co-workers were quite friendly and helpful when help was needed. The management within the shop was well organised and there was never a crisis.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
N/a
The atmosphere was always friendly and welcoming at work. It was nice to know more about Oxfam as time went on and how they helped those who needed them most
Excellent experience, I really recommand Oxfam especially for foreign student. I learnt a lot with irish coworker like: Management, sales, promoting oxfam's values and so on The hardest part was the integration but once you show you love them they will be very helpful
Pros
everything
Cons
no salary
I volunteer at Oxfam Bookshop as both a regular staff member and as a social media manager. It's a nice place to work and the staff are friendly and extremely sociable. While it's unpaid work, you learn how to deal with customers, check in stock and get a sense of how to approach customers who are on the shop floor. It helps that the managers there look out for you when you've just started and are around if you have questions or a problem.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, flexible working hours
Cons
Volunteer positions only
I work putting the stock on shelves and displays, checking goods prior to sale to ensure they are in working order and fit for sale. Cleaning sales area in order to maintain a safe working environment. Operating the till and accurately counting and reconciling the till float. Completing all paperwork and then filing it accordingly and Filling out Quotations, Customer Invoices, Orders & Delivery Notes.
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations that work on finding solutions to stop the poverty around the Globe. As a volunteer you can do many different kind of works, as an example, you can donate directly on the website, shop online, buy Christmas gift cards, donate your time by working in events or their shops, or simply donating that old things you have and don't use anymore, so instead throwing them way, why don't give it for a good cause? Their work is serious and everything you donate you know where it goes by receiving your receipt. On my first day I really had fun and learnt lots of new things about management, customer service and shop floor. I practically did a bit of everything in the store, starting by sorting the clothes they received as donation, steaming them, tagging, helping the customers and managing the money. It has been a really good time working at the shop, I even couldn't see the time passing by, the other volunteers are really nice people and most of them are from different countries, so it is a nice opportunity to learn more about different cultures as well as improve your English! Working as a volunteer feels very nice as you can develop yourself in a lots of different ways by giving your time to help others, it shows that no matter who you are or what you do for living, you can always contribute to help those who need help!
Pros
I learnt a lot already about retail and customer service.
Cons
non paid job
We would meet up before our shift outside the venue with our supervisor. He/She would then assign us to our posts and we would carry out whatever tasks come with the post you are assigned to. Our shifts would last 4 to 5 hours, and afterwards we were free to enjoy the rest of the concert. I really enjoy this job as I made a lot of new friends and got to meet lots of different people.
Pros
Free tickets to events
Cons
Sometimes weather was a hindrance
I was responsible for the Visual Merchandising, Store Design and shop assistance during my volunteering in the shop. The volunteer was 2 or 1 day per week during the morning. The most enjoyable was that a met a lot of nice people and was the right place to improve my English.
Oxfam overall was a fun place to work in, with really good employees who would help you with anything and who would take the time to share few jokes with you to lighten up the work environment. I learned so much from there and they are really doing a great job in helping people all over the world who are in need. I am happy I was able to help out with the Nepal disaster during my time there by bringing in donations. I would have never thought of doing it on my own had not the managers in Oxfam inspired me and motivated me. They have really good team leaders and Managers to keep their work going. Everybody there was friendly and helpful. A really good charity company I would say. It is because of Oxfam that I am able to gain so much confidence and become a better person both personally and professionally. Our fundraising department had the best bunch of people I ever met in my life. Everybody was so dedicated and passionate about their job that they inspired me so much and I was able to work alongside them with the same energy as them. I am really glad I got the opportunity to work in such a positive and healthy work place like Oxfam.
Pros
Free coffee and sometimes food, lively and vibrant work place, positive people around
Productive and fun workplace. This company is a very nice place and all team are ready to help and contribute to the goals.
I was part of the Corporate Services team and was responsible for manning the reception area, although this was not very busy. The number of calls were very few and hardly anyone ever called into the office. I opened the morning's post and ensured the evening's post was ready for collection. Other than this I was responsible for maintaining a stock of stationery and processing a few invoices. The job was only part-time, but the days weren't busy enough. When I asked for more duties I was told that they couldn't ask me to do work which was above my pay grade. When I originally applied for the role I was led to believe it would develop into something more substantial but after almost 2 years it did not change. Most of the people who worked there were very nice, but the job was not challenging enough.
Pros
Good Salary and Holidays
Cons
Not Challenging enough and travel to work was too long
On a Saturday morning, I would usually operate the till and communicate with the customers. I learned how to operate a till and to stock take. All the staff were really nice , and I found it easy to get along with them. The hardest part of the job at first was to interact with the customers, but as the weeks went on I loved it. The most enjoyable part was , going in and interacting with the customers and the staff.
Pros
Lovely Staff
selling new and used goods at a very resonable price.dealing with the public and getting a good feeling knowing the goods are going to people who need it and the money they pay is going to help third world countries. management are excellent co workers the same
sorting through donation bags Banking previous days taking
A typical day of work would start with a brief discussion with my manager about the work I was expected to do for the day and counting the float for the till. Some days l had to change the displayed items for sale on the shop window and that involved a lot of creativity and a passion for fashion in order to attract customers to come in and view and hopefully make a purchase. The challenging part of the job was to handle challenging customers. During the course of my work l learnt that the best way to deal with challenging customers is listening to the customer, honestly assessing if l am able to assist them or if the problem is beyond me ,I get proper support and work with them to ensure satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see a customer coming out of shop smiling.
Pros
great discount on in house purchases.
Cons
Standing on your feet all day.
I found volunteering in this charity shop very awarding, due to a combination between the lovely customers and very helpful co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was setting up the display and interacting with customers.
C'est dans le but de perfectionner mon Anglais que j'ai intégré cette structure. Il s'agit d'un magasin de charité, vendant essentiellement des vêtements pour femmes, mais également divers autres choses, tel que les livres, les articles multimédias ou encore le linge de maison. Le magasin récupère des vêtements et objets de 2nd main dont les gens ne veulent plus. de ce fait le magasin n'a pas besoin de dépenser de l'argent pour s'approvisionner. Lors d'une journée de travail, le magasin ouvre à 10h. Il faut vérifier que le magasin soit plein, et que les articles mis en vente soient corrects. Pour les articles qui ne sont pas vendable, nous les envoyons dans un centre de recyclage. Pour ce qui est du personnel, il s'agit uniquement de bénévole, ce qui rend le magasin difficile à gérer mais pas tant que ça, car l'esprit de charité est très répandu en Irlande. Il faut donc veiller à ce que les volontaires aient chacun une tâche allouée. Du tri des dons jusqu'à la gestion de la caisse. Ce fut une expérience très enrichissante, car les volontaires n'étant pas payer viennent car ils en ont envie. Ce qui change la vision que l'on peut avoir du travail. C'est très difficile à exprimer car ce n'est pas quelque chose que l'on apprend sur les chaises d'une école ou encore dans les livres. Il s'agit d'une expérience humaine avant tous.
Pros
Des gens agréables, près à donner de leur temps.
Cons
Une clientèle parfois peut reconnaissante.
I Still Working in the Oxfam 1 day. there are many worker work in the Oxfam and there are many things to learn
Pros
Tea, Coffee