Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Found 84 reviews matching the search See all 2,278 reviews
Productive and fun workplace
Part time volunteer shop assistant retail (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D18 October 2015
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations that work on finding solutions to stop the poverty around the Globe. As a volunteer you can do many different kind of works, as an example, you can donate directly on the website, shop online, buy Christmas gift cards, donate your time by working in events or their shops, or simply donating that old things you have and don't use anymore, so instead throwing them way, why don't give it for a good cause? Their work is serious and everything you donate you know where it goes by receiving your receipt.
On my first day I really had fun and learnt lots of new things about management, customer service and shop floor. I practically did a bit of everything in the store, starting by sorting the clothes they received as donation, steaming them, tagging, helping the customers and managing the money. It has been a really good time working at the shop, I even couldn't see the time passing by, the other volunteers are really nice people and most of them are from different countries, so it is a nice opportunity to learn more about different cultures as well as improve your English!
Working as a volunteer feels very nice as you can develop yourself in a lots of different ways by giving your time to help others, it shows that no matter who you are or what you do for living, you can always contribute to help those who need help!
Pros
I learnt a lot already about retail and customer service.
Cons
non paid job
Fun workplace
Steward (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D30 September 2015
We would meet up before our shift outside the venue with our supervisor. He/She would then assign us to our posts and we would carry out whatever tasks come with the post you are assigned to. Our shifts would last 4 to 5 hours, and afterwards we were free to enjoy the rest of the concert. I really enjoy this job as I made a lot of new friends and got to meet lots of different people.
Pros
Free tickets to events
Cons
Sometimes weather was a hindrance
Great environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cork, C7 September 2015
I was responsible for the Visual Merchandising, Store Design and shop assistance during my volunteering in the shop.
The volunteer was 2 or 1 day per week during the morning.
The most enjoyable was that a met a lot of nice people and was the right place to improve my English.
Good environment work place
Door to Door Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Dublin 44 September 2015
Oxfam overall was a fun place to work in, with really good employees who would help you with anything and who would take the time to share few jokes with you to lighten up the work environment. I learned so much from there and they are really doing a great job in helping people all over the world who are in need. I am happy I was able to help out with the Nepal disaster during my time there by bringing in donations. I would have never thought of doing it on my own had not the managers in Oxfam inspired me and motivated me. They have really good team leaders and Managers to keep their work going. Everybody there was friendly and helpful. A really good charity company I would say. It is because of Oxfam that I am able to gain so much confidence and become a better person both personally and professionally. Our fundraising department had the best bunch of people I ever met in my life. Everybody was so dedicated and passionate about their job that they inspired me so much and I was able to work alongside them with the same energy as them. I am really glad I got the opportunity to work in such a positive and healthy work place like Oxfam.
Pros
Free coffee and sometimes food, lively and vibrant work place, positive people around
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D24 July 2015
Productive and fun workplace. This company is a very nice place and all team are ready to help and contribute to the goals.
Lacked Challenge & Development Opportunities
CUSTOMER SERVICES ASSISTANT (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D1 July 2015
I was part of the Corporate Services team and was responsible for manning the reception area, although this was not very busy. The number of calls were very few and hardly anyone ever called into the office. I opened the morning's post and ensured the evening's post was ready for collection. Other than this I was responsible for maintaining a stock of stationery and processing a few invoices. The job was only part-time, but the days weren't busy enough. When I asked for more duties I was told that they couldn't ask me to do work which was above my pay grade. When I originally applied for the role I was led to believe it would develop into something more substantial but after almost 2 years it did not change. Most of the people who worked there were very nice, but the job was not challenging enough.
Pros
Good Salary and Holidays
Cons
Not Challenging enough and travel to work was too long
Productive and a fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, OY7 June 2015
On a Saturday morning, I would usually operate the till and communicate with the customers. I learned how to operate a till and to stock take.
All the staff were really nice , and I found it easy to get along with them.
The hardest part of the job at first was to interact with the customers, but as the weeks went on I loved it.
The most enjoyable part was , going in and interacting with the customers and the staff.
Pros
Lovely Staff
a very good cause
retail sales (Former Employee) –  Dublin North, D25 February 2015
selling new and used goods at a very resonable price.dealing with the public and getting a good feeling knowing the goods are going to people who need it and the money they pay is going to help third world countries. management are excellent co workers the same
Fun workplace
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sligo19 October 2014
sorting through donation bags
Banking previous days taking
Great sense of accomplishment from work done.
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Castlebar, MO9 October 2014
A typical day of work would start with a brief discussion with my manager about the work I was expected to do for the day and counting the float for the till. Some days l had to change the displayed items for sale on the shop window and that involved a lot of creativity and a passion for fashion in order to attract customers to come in and view and hopefully make a purchase. The challenging part of the job was to handle challenging customers. During the course of my work l learnt that the best way to deal with challenging customers is listening to the customer, honestly assessing if l am able to assist them or if the problem is beyond me ,I get proper support and work with them to ensure satisfaction. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see a customer coming out of shop smiling.
Pros
great discount on in house purchases.
Cons
Standing on your feet all day.
Productive and fun workplace.
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D14 September 2014
I found volunteering in this charity shop very awarding, due to a combination between the lovely customers and very helpful co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was setting up the display and interacting with customers.
Un stage enrichissant
Stagiaire Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, 716 June 2014
C'est dans le but de perfectionner mon Anglais que j'ai intégré cette structure.
Il s'agit d'un magasin de charité, vendant essentiellement des vêtements pour femmes, mais également divers autres choses, tel que les livres, les articles multimédias ou encore le linge de maison.

Le magasin récupère des vêtements et objets de 2nd main dont les gens ne veulent plus.

de ce fait le magasin n'a pas besoin de dépenser de l'argent pour s'approvisionner.

Lors d'une journée de travail, le magasin ouvre à 10h.
Il faut vérifier que le magasin soit plein, et que les articles mis en vente soient corrects.
Pour les articles qui ne sont pas vendable, nous les envoyons dans un centre de recyclage.

Pour ce qui est du personnel, il s'agit uniquement de bénévole, ce qui rend le magasin difficile à gérer mais pas tant que ça, car l'esprit de charité est très répandu en Irlande.

Il faut donc veiller à ce que les volontaires aient chacun une tâche allouée. Du tri des dons jusqu'à la gestion de la caisse.

Ce fut une expérience très enrichissante, car les volontaires n'étant pas payer viennent car ils en ont envie. Ce qui change la vision que l'on peut avoir du travail. C'est très difficile à exprimer car ce n'est pas quelque chose que l'on apprend sur les chaises d'une école ou encore dans les livres. Il s'agit d'une expérience humaine avant tous.
Pros
Des gens agréables, près à donner de leur temps.
Cons
Une clientèle parfois peut reconnaissante.
Summary
employee (Former Employee) –  17 Grattan Street Sligo25 May 2014
I Still Working in the Oxfam 1 day. there are many worker work in the Oxfam and there are many things to learn
Pros
Tea, Coffee
Very friendly place to work
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, KY8 May 2014
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Pros
giving back to local area
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phibsborough Rd, Dublin24 April 2014
A typical day at work would consist of steaming clothes before placing them on hangers to be sold in the shop. I learned how to use the cash register and to deal with customers on a daily basis and assist them when shopping for clothes. The shop was a run in a productive, ideal environment which was suitable for the consumer. The shop usually had about six helpful and knowledgeable assistants working there at a time who were always keen to help out. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting used to the way the shop worked and understanding the order of the clothes. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be gaining experience and having the opportunity to work in well run shop.
organised, reliable, good work enviroment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D18 November 2013
I have experience in Sales and as a Administrative Assistant more than 6 years.
In the last 6 months I was working as a volunteer at Oxfam
Advanced English and intermediate computer skills.
Ability to work to deadlines. Ease of communication and experience in public relations. Very polite, patient, focused, flexible and fast learner. Possessing an enthusiastic friendly and outgoing personality.
Keen to develop professionally and constantly looking to maintain high personal standards.
Fun place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 November 2013
I had great time working there, even though its a voluntary work. I like to work with customers and interacting with them.
I work from 10am to 2pm. I go in, put my stuff away and start by cleaning up the place to make sure the customers comes in and have a nice time purchasing items.
I learned that you have to be patient with some customers, and that not all of them are aware where the items in the shop are from.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers, we got along very well and i learnt a lot from them while i worked there.
The best time i had there, was simply just serving the customer and seeing the satisfaction from there faces when they leave the shop and getting along with my co-workers.
Friendly, Helpful work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Street12 November 2013
During my time working in Oxfam I had to price goods, create different displays and put away stock. I would deal with customer complaints and help them customers choose products. I also had to ensure that the donations we recieved were of good quality and condition for resale.

I learned how to deal with customers, improved some of my skills and work within a quite busy environment.

My Co-workers were very friendly and helpful. They showed me how to do everything within the shop as it was all done on a daily basis.

The hardest part of the job was watching indesirables and make sure thy weren't shop lifting.

The part of the job I enjoyed the most was meeting new people, working part of a team and hitting targets.
Fun workplace a lot of different stuffs to handle
INVENTORY ASSISTANT/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D22 July 2013
It's the perfect place to get some experience also being a part of a huge O.N.G famous all over the world. I can improve my English speaking and get some knowledge about how a store works over here.
Pros
You can take a part of a huge ONG
Cons
volunteer
Very fun enviroment and friendly
Cashier & Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Galway14 June 2013
Volunteer work:
I find Oxfam to be a very fun place to work where the display and customer satisfaction is the main focus its the hours are not that long and there is always something to do
Pros
Very nice enviroment to be in
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3