Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

Ireland91 reviews
Very well organized Charity Shop with a wide variety of clothes, shoes, accessories, household utensils, books and toys at an affordable price.

Very friendly staff and a comfortable place to go shopping.
Voluntary work, Friendly environment, great to feel like your helping out others in greater need.
Pros
giving back to local area
Cons
A typical day at work would consist of steaming clothes before placing them on hangers to be sold in the shop. I learned how to use the cash register and to deal with customers on a daily basis and assist them when shopping for clothes. The shop was a run in a productive, ideal environment which was suitable for the consumer. The shop usually had about six helpful and knowledgeable assistants working there at a time who were always keen to help out. The hardest part of the job would have to be getting used to the way the shop worked and understanding the order of the clothes. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be gaining experience and having the opportunity to work in well run shop.
I have experience in Sales and as a Administrative Assistant more than 6 years.
In the last 6 months I was working as a volunteer at Oxfam

Advanced English and intermediate computer skills.

Ability to work to deadlines. Ease of communication and experience in public relations. Very polite, patient, focused, flexible and fast learner. Possessing an enthusiastic friendly and outgoing personality.

Keen to develop professionally and constantly looking to maintain high personal standards.
I had great time working there, even though its a voluntary work. I like to work with customers and interacting with them.
I work from 10am to 2pm. I go in, put my stuff away and start by cleaning up the place to make sure the customers comes in and have a nice time purchasing items.

I learned that you have to be patient with some customers, and that not all of them are aware where the items in the shop are from.

I enjoyed working with my co-workers, we got along very well and i learnt a lot from them while i worked there.

The best time i had there, was simply just serving the customer and seeing the satisfaction from there faces when they leave the shop and getting along with my co-workers.
During my time working in Oxfam I had to price goods, create different displays and put away stock. I would deal with customer complaints and help them customers choose products. I also had to ensure that the donations we recieved were of good quality and condition for resale.

I learned how to deal with customers, improved some of my skills and work within a quite busy environment.

My Co-workers were very friendly and helpful. They showed me how to do everything within the shop as it was all done on a daily basis.

The hardest part of the job was watching indesirables and make sure thy weren't shop lifting.

The part of the job I enjoyed the most was meeting new people, working part of a team and hitting targets.
It's the perfect place to get some experience also being a part of a huge O.N.G famous all over the world. I can improve my English speaking and get some knowledge about how a store works over here.
Pros
You can take a part of a huge ONG
Cons
volunteer
Volunteer work:
I find Oxfam to be a very fun place to work where the display and customer satisfaction is the main focus its the hours are not that long and there is always something to do
Pros
Very nice enviroment to be in
Cons
Oxfam Rathfarnham, where i work is a great place to work due to the way the manager looks after the volunteers, she works to everbodies strengths, the 4 hours i work there goes like 2 . i actually wish i could work more hours there but unusually because it's such a fun place to work in those who volunteer don't leave and therefore we have a glut of people volunteering for us.
Pros
you can get stuff half price being staff
Cons
you're not paid, it's volunteer work.
a typical day at work was to secure everybody and do tasks.
i learned how to communicate with people and organise.

management was very strict but good because of the work that got done.

co-workers were very good because they learned very quick.

the hardest prt of the shop was doing security because when there was trouble it was a big problem.

the most enjoyble part was working with other people on tasks.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
i have learn a lot eg dealing with customers day in day out. the management is great love it and my co workers are friendly. the hardest part of the job is to try and traslate to someone who english is not their first language. the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different types of people everyday i enjoy that because it is also a challenge for me.
Cons
part time