Paddy Power Plc logo
Paddy Power Plc

Paddy Power Plc Management reviews

Clear

Fair enough

Been working here years now but has changed for the worse down through the years. Used to be great bonus and the likes but not anymore. They care more about online than the shops. Management varys from shop to shop. District managers no help if you have problems within the shop. Rate of pay is ok

Boring Job, No Culture Or Atmosphere

Long working hours, roster done weeks in advance but can change days before which is unprofessional, quite rude staff, a lot of pressure to learn a lot of content considering the minimum wage pay. Just another number to the company and easily replaced. Feels morally wrong too feeding into the gambling addiction and not being able to help people and having to take their money. Bad industry

Pros

Relaxing to sit at desk

Cons

Morally wrong, long hours, bad management

Trading Dept

Trading department employees looked upon as 2nd class employees. You can offer up as much dominos on Saturdays and drinks on Fridays (which Traders couldn’t avail of because they’ll most likely be working!) but it won’t cover for the really low wages in comparison to competition. When management were challenged on this people were told to ‘go work for the competition so’. Such a lack of understanding and empathy shown. HR for the trading department are a disgrace and allow for all sorts of mismanagement especially at junior level. This is all mirrored in the high turnover rate of staff and many being poached now by competitors offering better pay and conditions.

Pros

Dominos on Saturday (but you’ll be working Saturdays).

Cons

Salary, unsocial hours, long hours, no lunch breaks, unlimited days annual leave is a hoax, Hr.

Simply amazing

In all my time working in retail, I had never quite had a job as fulfilling as the one in Paddy Power. When I started, I was placed in the betting office in Market Square, Tullamore - the staff there were nothing short of amazing. So friendly, welcoming and they made the job fun. I had no knowledge of sports, racing or the industry in general, but the staff and the manager made it a point to try and teach me as much as possible. I struggle with numbers a little, but I was never made to feel like I was less of a valued work colleague for doing so. About six months into the job, I had to apply for a transfer from one betting office to another (Tullamore to Portlaoise), and even upon setting foot inside the office in Portlaoise, I was treated with the same welcoming vibe as in Tullamore. The staff were friendly, attentive and helpful should I have ever had a problem, and the manager was outstanding. She couldn't do more for her staff if she tried, and genuinely shows a great deal of care, both for those she works with, and the customers she serves. Overall, my experience working for Paddy Power was very positive, and I would recommend it to anyone that's interested in learning more about that industry. My only issue that I had in the company was the inability to move up contracts - I worked with the company for two years, started on a 24 hour contract, but could never get a higher, base hour contract than that. Customers can be a bit difficult sometimes, and you will meet some ignorant people who are very self-absorbed, but don't let that deter you from this very enjoyable experience. -

Pros

Long, paid breaks, Reasonable wage, Great staff, Excellent management, Mostly friendly customer base

Cons

A little difficult to balance work and personal life with long hours, A little difficult to get higher contracts, Customers occasionally difficult

Nasty environment

Horrible dirty place to work. No breaks expected to eat while handling money. Staff are vile to one another alot of bullying from staff and customers because they know they can get away with it. Long hrs no chance of a break even on a 12 hr shift get fyrty looks ft or using the toilet. Would not recommend this kip to anyone.

Pros

9.30 start

Cons

Low pay. No break, full of bully's. Filthy

Dont waste your life here

Your just a number working every hr possible with no life, threatening abusive customers which the company do nothing about, because your just a number they can replace. Terrible pay also.

You won't stay for long.

The positives included the fact that some of my colleagues were lovely people, and the Christmas bonus, that was about it. The negatives would include extremely poor, unqualified management who played favourites and treated the rest very poorly. Rota changed with very short notice. Rate of pay versus responsibility were not equal. Work took over, no time to have a life.

Worker

There is no support from anyone in Paddy Power. The management are to old fashion and set in there ways and are straight out bullies. They have taken most of the bonuses away and give you targets that there is no chance reaching. Some lovely workers met there but no one stays long enough because they are forced out.

Horrible hours

Most of the staff were great. Not great hours.. never get weekends off unless you request it so you can't plan anything. Very poor work life balance. Management only look after themselves.

Good place to work if you're in the right shop!

Paddy Power can be a great place to work if you make it into the right shop. They differ so much depending on customer footfall, management and location. So no review can be considered 100% reliant and I can only speak from my own experience. Pros: Customer culture - if you're the type of person that greets people with a smile every day and gets to know your customers then it can be a very positive working environment. Flexibility - while you need to be flexible to work any days, it is nice to have some week days off to run errands that you can't run over the weekend. Similarly, even though shifts are long, it means you can get your hours covered in three or four days in the week and might get three or four days off. Salary - Salary is decent. Everyone starts on minimum wage but there is opportunity to progress. In-house hiring - PP advertise positions in house and are big on hiring shop staff for the "big jobs" in head office. Cons: In-House Hiring - because PP hire in-house, sometimes people begin jobs that they're not qualified for. This is particularly evident in the helpdesk (where you ring when there's a problem with a docket ie: no result, not settling, etc) - some of these people have ZERO product knowledge and often they will tell you they can't help. Management - In PP, people are promoted to management positions based on time served, not qualification or experience. There are so many shop managers that have no managerial qualities, are computer illiterate (ironically) and there seems to be no plans to upskill them regularly. Breaks - non -

Pros

flexibility

Cons

bad management

Jobs at Paddy Power Plc

See more jobs

Work horse

The only thing I can say good is the people who were also customer service agent were great people but from a management side they are only put for themselves as they would happily stab anyone in the back just to keep there job breaks were extremely short as you only get four 15 minutes breaks throughout the day also depending how long your shift was and little to no room for moving up the ladder as people do not want to move from there positions also there is little training given and you are held accountable for the most littlest mistakes even though you are not taught much about the in house software that is used

Pros

Fellow customer service agents

Cons

Long hours short breaks bad training and little cared about people's well-being and stress levels

Extremely principle oriented yet balanced

Amazing support from management and helping mentors. A superb place to work at! Too many projects simultaneously taken up was a tough task to handle but good management helped the projects through.

Pros

Good cafeteria, good systems, late night cabs and friday beers and pizza

Cons

could overwork occasionally but the teams are good and they will help you out

Not a good place to work

Long hrs ..poor managment with jumped up managers with no training or leadership skills more and more products put on you with no extra pay Managment out for themselve your not even a number with this company your a district with some untrained dragged threw the ranks manager as a spokeperson for you ...A monkey could do the job as its so repetative but yet they have so called managers that think there running nasa ..really bad attitude and bad moral

Pros

Christmas Bonus

Cons

everything else about the job

used to be great place to work. now not so much

would not recommend paddy power as a good place to work. it has changed so much over the years and not for the better. 13 hour days. all weekends. no respect for hard working staff.

Pros

christmas bonus

Cons

long hours, weekends, little or no support from upper management

Horrible work environment

Since the merger between Paddy Power and Betfair, the culture that has emerged is horrible. People are only seen as resources and there is no investment in them anymore. The workload is punishing. Decisions are made by upper management with no engagement with those actually doing the work or speaking to the customers. There is no work/life balance and all the talent is leaving the company.

Pros

Subsidised canteen

Cons

Everything else

Fun workplace

High level of work life balance with a lot of benefits and the culture of the firm is brilliant. Management is filled with highly trained and well balanced professionals.

Great Place to Start off

Personally for me this job is a great first time job but for me it does not challenge me enough. I prefer a job that pushes me to my limits and i find there is only so much you can learn about betting. I

Pros

management is very helpful and also pay a sunday rate and bank holiday rate

Cons

have to work christmas and also other rescricted times

Great People, innovative, fast moving

The best thing about PPB is the people who work there. The workforce is young, dynamic, innovative and hungry to succeed. The work is interesting and, for the most part, the people who work the hardest rise the fastest. Management, for the most part, are very good and the atmosphere is quite informal.

Pros

The people, the opportunities

Cons

Money is OK but not great

Not what it used to be

Started as a dynamic and fun working environment and employees were given freedom to be creative. As with all companies eventually driven by Shareholders, profit became more important than staff. Cost cutting led to less technology investment and loss of good staff. Sadly it became very bureaucratic and lost its appeal, the merger (takeover) by Betfair solidified the changes. Great while it lasted though.

All good

Paddy Power has been hiring a lot in the past year (as well as high skilled people leaving) as consequence of impressive growth. However the company is struggling to acquire a more international mind set. High pressure, little recognition and a lot of internal Politics. Career advancement: being Irish is a strong plus.

Pros

Interacting with the public

Cons

Difficult hours

each day is different, good to deal with people on a day to day basis

A typical day in Paddy power varies from one day to another. I am working in a very busy shop which has only been opened for about three years based in Stillorgan. My management role is the overall lookout of the shop, staff and customers. each day we are dealing with large amounts of cash, working long hours on computers and dealing with all sorts of issues or problems with customers and the basic running of the shop. we have built up a great clientele and really look after our customers going even further for them with promotions and amazing marketing offers. I have learnt how to work well under pressure and to be very patient. I have always worked well with the public but learnt how to deal with all kinds of people.

Pros

flexiable

Cons

long hours and cannot progress further
  • Paddy Power Plc