Paddy Power Plc logo

Paddy Power Plc Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.4Pay & benefits

Boring ! Same thing everyday nothing enjoyable

Great job if your looking for sedentary lifestyle and to get a huge belly from doing nothing I found myself clock watching a lot of the time as it was just boring I was enthusiastic at the start but after a year the novelty ran off and it became mundane Nothing to do but sit there and wait for bets and then you have to deal with abusive punters because they think you’ve done them out of money even though they now exactly how it works

Pros

Paid break

Cons

Long hours Boring Clock watching not a lot to do

Boring Job, No Culture Or Atmosphere

Long working hours, roster done weeks in advance but can change days before which is unprofessional, quite rude staff, a lot of pressure to learn a lot of content considering the minimum wage pay. Just another number to the company and easily replaced. Feels morally wrong too feeding into the gambling addiction and not being able to help people and having to take their money. Bad industry

Pros

Relaxing to sit at desk

Cons

Morally wrong, long hours, bad management

Trading Dept

Trading department employees looked upon as 2nd class employees. You can offer up as much dominos on Saturdays and drinks on Fridays (which Traders couldn’t avail of because they’ll most likely be working!) but it won’t cover for the really low wages in comparison to competition. When management were challenged on this people were told to ‘go work for the competition so’. Such a lack of understanding and empathy shown. HR for the trading department are a disgrace and allow for all sorts of mismanagement especially at junior level. This is all mirrored in the high turnover rate of staff and many being poached now by competitors offering better pay and conditions.

Pros

Dominos on Saturday (but you’ll be working Saturdays).

Cons

Salary, unsocial hours, long hours, no lunch breaks, unlimited days annual leave is a hoax, Hr.

Simply amazing

In all my time working in retail, I had never quite had a job as fulfilling as the one in Paddy Power. When I started, I was placed in the betting office in Market Square, Tullamore - the staff there were nothing short of amazing. So friendly, welcoming and they made the job fun. I had no knowledge of sports, racing or the industry in general, but the staff and the manager made it a point to try and teach me as much as possible. I struggle with numbers a little, but I was never made to feel like I was less of a valued work colleague for doing so. About six months into the job, I had to apply for a transfer from one betting office to another (Tullamore to Portlaoise), and even upon setting foot inside the office in Portlaoise, I was treated with the same welcoming vibe as in Tullamore. The staff were friendly, attentive and helpful should I have ever had a problem, and the manager was outstanding. She couldn't do more for her staff if she tried, and genuinely shows a great deal of care, both for those she works with, and the customers she serves. Overall, my experience working for Paddy Power was very positive, and I would recommend it to anyone that's interested in learning more about that industry. My only issue that I had in the company was the inability to move up contracts - I worked with the company for two years, started on a 24 hour contract, but could never get a higher, base hour contract than that. Customers can be a bit difficult sometimes, and you will meet some ignorant people who are very self-absorbed, but don't let that deter you from this very enjoyable experience. -

Pros

Long, paid breaks, Reasonable wage, Great staff, Excellent management, Mostly friendly customer base

Cons

A little difficult to balance work and personal life with long hours, A little difficult to get higher contracts, Customers occasionally difficult

Treated like dogs

This company does not value its staff. They work you long hours, they don't give you breaks, they treat you like a criminal if you miss a days work be it genuine or not. Don't work in PP retail !

Only work here if you're stuck for cash.

Not a good working environment. No fairness with rotas. No cover for holidays (it is impossible to book time off). You are made feel guilty if you call in sick, I was out with a pretty serious illness for a few weeks and the roster coordinator asked "you're gone for the week so? Is THAT what you're telling me?" Can end up with 12/13 hour shifts. You'd be lucky to get a break. Everyone is looking out for number one. AVOID.

Paddy Power was a great place to work, with brilliant co workers. There are great opportunities to move along the career ladder and also great opportunities for pay increases.

Horrible hours

Most of the staff were great. Not great hours.. never get weekends off unless you request it so you can't plan anything. Very poor work life balance. Management only look after themselves.

Ok if you enjoy doing all your hours together

You will work long hours and be working weekends and bank holidays. If you enjoy having a social life this is not for you. It can be great fun but it’s st a fast pace too

Pros

You can work full time in 3 days per week

Work horse

The only thing I can say good is the people who were also customer service agent were great people but from a management side they are only put for themselves as they would happily stab anyone in the back just to keep there job breaks were extremely short as you only get four 15 minutes breaks throughout the day also depending how long your shift was and little to no room for moving up the ladder as people do not want to move from there positions also there is little training given and you are held accountable for the most littlest mistakes even though you are not taught much about the in house software that is used

Pros

Fellow customer service agents

Cons

Long hours short breaks bad training and little cared about people's well-being and stress levels

Jobs at Paddy Power Plc

See more jobs

Fun place to work

The main thing i like about working for Paddy Power is that no day is the same. I have really developed my customer service skills since joining Paddy Power. If you are willing to work hard, it is a great company to progress in. The most enjoyable part of working here is definitely the customers, we get to meet people from every walk of life.

Pros

Working 4 days a week

Deputy Manager

Worked for Paddy Power Plc for 12years it gave me a steady job with the prospects of promotion. Very limited in the area I worked in. would have considered my work colleagues close friends. very busy working environment

used to be great place to work. now not so much

would not recommend paddy power as a good place to work. it has changed so much over the years and not for the better. 13 hour days. all weekends. no respect for hard working staff.

Pros

christmas bonus

Cons

long hours, weekends, little or no support from upper management

productive

constantly kept on your toes watching for slow counter, till checks - overs/shorts and balancing them all at the end of the day. Alot of multi tasking required.

Pros

paid lunch breaks

Horrible work environment

Since the merger between Paddy Power and Betfair, the culture that has emerged is horrible. People are only seen as resources and there is no investment in them anymore. The workload is punishing. Decisions are made by upper management with no engagement with those actually doing the work or speaking to the customers. There is no work/life balance and all the talent is leaving the company.

Pros

Subsidised canteen

Cons

Everything else

Good Place to work

It is a good place to work. But you will have to work long hours, most times at night and weekends. And the pay is not enough. You will need to answer customers in a polite manner.

Pros

Free Pizza every last Friday

Cons

Long hours, not enough pay

Fun workplace

High level of work life balance with a lot of benefits and the culture of the firm is brilliant. Management is filled with highly trained and well balanced professionals.

every day is a learning day in paddy power. unfortunately the hours are dreadfully long. i find the work itself so interesting and there is great opportunities for career progression.

work life balance is very very bad

Its a fun job , tough at times. Pay is ok for the type of work, Hours are awful should be more regulated, breaks not guaranteed even on a 12 hour shift. A good work life balance not really a concern of company in my opinion. Staff and customers always friendly its a very sociable job.

Pros

sociable environment to work in

Great Place to Start off

Personally for me this job is a great first time job but for me it does not challenge me enough. I prefer a job that pushes me to my limits and i find there is only so much you can learn about betting. I

Pros

management is very helpful and also pay a sunday rate and bank holiday rate

Cons

have to work christmas and also other rescricted times

exciting company to work for.

Every day was exciting and different. A good company to work for. Only down side was it has unsociable working hours. A person employed there would have to be of strong character and be able to handle a degree of pressure.
  • Paddy Power Plc