Penneys

Penneys Employee Reviews

Ireland234 reviews
Absolutely hated it. If you don't suck up to managers you don't get anywhere. If you don't then you will be singled out and get in trouble for stupid reasons. My mental health suffered working here
Pay is good for retail and increases every year. However the hours are extremely unsociable. I felt like I had no life/work balance. I would not recommend working here particularly if you are a college student, as I found it very hard to balance assignments and exams while working here. HR were not very cooperative when you needed time off for college commitments. The management also mistreat staff and have favourites.
Pros
Good pay for retail
Cons
Management, awful work/life balance
Worked here as a temporary staff member at Christmas and summertime. Worked hard but never got offered an extended contract. Managers have a habit of picking favourites, some long term staff members look down on temporary staff despite doing the same jobs but some very nice co workers here too. Hours very awkward, always scheduled to work in the evenings so my days were gone, never any variation. Day goes fine if you’re on tills, if you’re on the shop floor it can be difficult as it is quite messy during peak times. Found that some staff members do not pull their weight in some tasks. Have had numerous payroll issues here which was difficult to sort with management. Despite this it is a nice working environment in general and I enjoyed working here.
Cons
Awkward hours
Loved working in penneys I've had 4 contracts all of which were 3 month contracts, it's very hard progress when you don't even have a permanent job. We are sometimes understaffed so I know they need us temps there. I could be let go at any time and have no security.
Lovely managers and great working environment.

Good pay and excellent hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No security
Was employed there last year for summer and I loved it! It was my first ever job! The pay was fantastic and the managers/management and other staff were good to get on with. Gave me good experience for my future career. I applied to work during the Christmas at the time but I never got it! I really loved working there, it was my fave job and I had no problems with it at all!
Pros
Good pay, great first job for people who are starting out in the workplace
Good atmosphere however no reference given. Sometimes managers are very hard to work with and give no guidance especially on busy days. Seasonal staff are not treated very nicely.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
No reference
Very draining work, junior management on power trips, new staff/younger staff treated with no respect, a lot of drama/pettiness with managers
Management and HR have no concern about the individual workers or their personal life as they are seen as disposable. Older staff look down upon new arrivals and almost seem territorial as they have been there their whole lives. The work itself is not too bad consists of folding , and mostly cleaning the shop floor. Staff are not allowed to converse with eachother and almost seems school like which I feel odd
Pros
Salary, First pick of clothes and sale items
Cons
Unprofessional management, lack of respect for workers
Never knew my hours for the necr weekend.
Tried to become full time by setting up a meeting and they never followed threw.

I had mixed shifts and I did not like it. I wouldnt work untill either really late in the evening and most of my day be gone waiting or else I'll start really early rarely.
Pros
Staff were nice
Cons
Terrible hours
Great place to work. Fast paced so suited for those who are fast learners.
Managers are very understanding and eaasy to get along with. you are rostered in more than your contracted hours.
Pros
great pay
Cons
other staff members can be hard to get along with
I learned a lot working here and it was a good starting point to gain experience in retail. However I didn’t like how one or two of the managers treated me. I made friends and got on well with all the staff.
Pros
Gained new skills and friends
Cons
Some managers were rude
A typical day in Penneys is generally fast-paced. There will almost always be a member of management or a colleague you can turn to for guidance and/or questions when beginning which is essential when starting in any new job, it is a communal job meaning your colleagues will always be willing to support you and it truly is a team effort maintaining, running and/or representing the brand. At peak hours it can be stressful at times, however, the team effort truly makes the world of a difference. It is a great job for working with others and building upon essential work skills such as teamwork, customer service, the ability to think on your feet and working instinctively. A great team to be a part of and their training (which has been previously updated) is very good.
The worst place in the world to work for, the management are an absolute disgrace I worked in Liffey Valley store and the way you’re treated is a joke
The shop would become very chaotic during peak hours and it was difficult to maintain a clean floor. The stock was filled once or twice everyday. The staff were assigned there roles on an hourly basis which was very organised. breaks were always given fairly and the staff were very friendly and patient with customers.
Not all branches operate equally. Culture or favouritism is rampant. No full time contracts available. Work life balance poor . Company policies bordering on legally questionable.
It was awful, stuck in the stockroom. Management don't listen. Other staff were lovely, Good rate of pay for teenagers. Gave me too many hours during the school week.
Great place to work but don't get sick or have mental health issues as It was used to intimidate me and wear me down left me weak and intimidated I was sacked because of a bully of a manager
During busy periods was best as the day flew, especially when you were on the tills. Working on the floor and keeping your section tidy could be a bit taxing but it’s fine when the store is less mobbed.

Some really lovely people working here but unfortunately a few sour apples can spoil the whole bunch. Certain members of staff and a few managers in particular should really consider a career change to something that deals with people a little less because people skills is something they clearly lack..
Je garde un très bon souvenir de mon expérience au sein de l'équipe de Primark de Blanchardstown, Dublin. La direction était au top, avec les superviseurs très sympatique, à l'écoute et très bienveillant. L'équipe s'entendait super bien ensemble, donc les journées passaient très vite. J'ai été recruté pendant l'été 2015 et j'avais été proposé un CDI, que j'ai du malheureusement refuser car je partais à l'étranger le septembre pendant un an (l'année ERASMUS).
Good to work for , good pay but should be increased for what you do. It can be stressful at time's but it can be satisfying aswell. Love the interaction with the customers especially the older one's.
Management can be quite rude and uninspiring in some stores , only some though usually they are quite nice people overall!

Work is easy and relaxed , show up do some stuff and go home!

Pay is great for the type of work you do!
Was a good experience worked in Penneys. Was my first job in another country. All the employees was very patient with me. The environment to work is very good!