Penneys Employee Reviews

bad atmosphere
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Galway25 January 2019
for an enthusiastic person this job sucked the life out of me. Not enough hours were provided to me even though i was fully available, people in college getting more hours. I didnt get paid for 5-6 weeks and the rota was copy and pasted every week leaving me with my 5 4hr shifts a week. Not much communication between managers and some staff have an extremely bad attitude towards new people and it is very much known to you
Pros
good wage once your made permanent, which you need 4 contracts to do so
Cons
dealing with unfriendly staff and customers
Fun and good pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny2 February 2019
I only worked here as a summer temp and was asked to stay on after my contract but unfortunately I couldn't stay. The pay was good for my first job, and time and a half on Sundays/Bank Hol was good. Mix of older and younger staff. Most enjoyable part was being on the tills as this where you get to talk to people. Most of the management was approachable but you could tell some of them had their favourites. Requesting days off was fine as long as you did it a bit in advance, and swapping shifts if necessary was easy to do. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Penneys.
Pros
Good pay, interaction with customers on tills
Cons
Quiet midweek evenings
Fast paced, you will hit the ground running
Trainee Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 August 2018
The benefits are the best offered from any retailer in Ireland. Be prepared to work hard and long hours. Really good introduction for anyone looking to start their career in the fashion industry. Great for your CV and recognised globally as a dynamic/fast and challenging place to work.
Pros
Subsidised canteen, inhouse gym, young social company with incredible offices
Cons
Long hours, no focus on developing the people they have, slow career progression for the majority of people
people are friendly
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  leinster2 February 2019
no chance of promtion unless you are willing to relocate
salary is very good as are wages for staff
division between staff and management
us and them culture is rife
thankless job
Fun and Good atmosphere
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth19 January 2019
I loved working in Penneys. It really helps to build up your confidence of working in retil espesically in such a big store. everyone who works there is so nice and welcome
Pros
good wage
Productive fun
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR/SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Swords, Co. Dublin, IE3 December 2018
Good place to work, Good benefits and shift work. management is very very nice. would recommend it to anybody in college in need of a job. good contracts
fun workplace
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Galway9 December 2018
very nice staff they were very pleasant to work with. i love fashion so being in penneys everyday was like a dream come true. i would be very happy too work in penneys again.
very busy store, can be hard work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford City Centre, County Waterford23 June 2018
Very busy day from start to finish, training given to everyone when you start, up to individual what they want to learn after that, i.e. first aid, service leader, service desk, lots of opportunities if you want them. lovely bunch of people to work with. lots of different departments.Some departments can involve heavy boxes, (box shoes, duvet,etc),
Pros
lovely staff and customers
Standard Retail Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick29 August 2018
Low hours but pay above minimum wage allows for a balance between life and work. Stressful at times, especially during rush hours. Management for the most part were reasonable, besides some outliers. Would recommend as a short term option.
ONLY GOOD FOR FIRST TIME. Cant be hired more 2 or 3 times, they will ignore.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 October 2018
This may be an ok job for someones first time but if you are looking for a job with more security this is not it.

They will keep you temporary so you keep having to come back and apply again, but you will never be taken on permanently. They will completely ignore your job application just so they don't have to take you on full time if they hired you.

Also if you are looking for a fair workplace please look elsewhere. The managers (some) are just hypocrites who tell you to get right back to work but then turn around and spend the whole day yapping in the corner doing zero work.

They will not care about their current full time staff (will not give them enough hours) but still end up taking on 30+ new staff despite that.

Dont expect an answer back from your application if you have worked in penneys before, they are afraid of having to take people on full time, because they don't want to have to pay extra money, so they will just completely ignore you and your application.
Pros
Ok money for first job
Cons
No job security, hypocritical managers
great
Sales Assitant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth18 November 2018
lovely place to work , would recommend to anyone else looking for work . pays well and the employee moral is always very high. managers are approachable and fair
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin5 October 2018
I worked in Pennys in swords and they are the worst company to ever work with. Management are terrible and belittling. Never again stay away from this Pennys
Pros
Salary
Excellent
P&C Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 November 2018
It is an excellent employer with great career opportunities. It's real fast paced environment, and no day is the same. Everyday you learn something new.
Great Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare21 May 2018
Great people, I couldn't say enough of about the people; however, management and senior leadership is difficult. They are a squad. Hard work - always felt it took a toll on me and my family. Medium pay, not competitive enough with other roles in the market. Feel confident in selling the product, Indeed is always testing and doing what is for the greater good of the people - we help people get jobs. I think the fast growth has hurt our culture and communication but that is still an important factor for Indeed. Which means, you can still feel like you are a part of an org that really does care about the bigger picture. Great PTO (unlimited) and great benefits!
Good Starting Wage
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry25 April 2018
The starting wage is one euro above the minimum wage and increases every year.

Fast paced.

Working on the tills is the best part as you get to interact with the customers.

I was unfortunate to get a manager that disliked me and was very hard to work under for that reason. They treated me differently to everyone else I started with, and this made me dislike the job as the pay wasn't good enough for how i was being treated by the manager.

I ended up not renewing my contract for the sake of my mental health.
Pros
Good Wage
Cons
Manager
Back in 2004
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth12 July 2018
I loved working in Penneys. I started when it got its first make-over. This job gave me confidence as a sales assistant.
It was a great first "real" job.
Pros
grabbing the bargains first!
Cons
The walk from the stock room to the canteen
fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 August 2018
Penneys has many people with transferable skills and i have leaarnt alot from them. it was a fun experience including meeting new people and learning new skills
global environment of workplace
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 May 2018
Every time I walk into a PENNEYS store , I genuinely sense a rich working environment of a global firm that is every thing going in perfect co-ordination and in a well organised manner.
Pros
Empathy with the employee's situation
Cons
Empathy with the employee's situation
Easy Going
Sales Assistant/ Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Galway20 July 2018
Very friendly management, able to give friendly criticism and get on with all staff. Opportunities to progress is very easy and welcomed if desired. Very good company to work for.
Hardworking
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donegal28 July 2018
Started working here as Christmas staff , working in Retail was very new for me. Some staff we're lovely others not so much. Christmas time is the busiest for Penney's.