Penneys Employee Reviews

Productive fun
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR/SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Swords, Co. Dublin, IE3 December 2018
Good place to work, Good benefits and shift work. management is very very nice. would recommend it to anybody in college in need of a job. good contracts
great
Sales Assitant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth18 November 2018
lovely place to work , would recommend to anyone else looking for work . pays well and the employee moral is always very high. managers are approachable and fair
Excellent
P&C Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 November 2018
It is an excellent employer with great career opportunities. It's real fast paced environment, and no day is the same. Everyday you learn something new.
ONLY GOOD FOR FIRST TIME. Cant be hired more 2 or 3 times, they will ignore.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 October 2018
This may be an ok job for someones first time but if you are looking for a job with more security this is not it.

They will keep you temporary so you keep having to come back and apply again, but you will never be taken on permanently. They will completely ignore your job application just so they don't have to take you on full time if they hired you.

Also if you are looking for a fair workplace please look elsewhere. The managers (some) are just hypocrites who tell you to get right back to work but then turn around and spend the whole day yapping in the corner doing zero work.

They will not care about their current full time staff (will not give them enough hours) but still end up taking on 30+ new staff despite that.

Dont expect an answer back from your application if you have worked in penneys before, they are afraid of having to take people on full time, because they don't want to have to pay extra money, so they will just completely ignore you and your application.
Pros
Ok money for first job
Cons
No job security, hypocritical managers
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin5 October 2018
I worked in Pennys in swords and they are the worst company to ever work with. Management are terrible and belittling. Never again stay away from this Pennys
Pros
Salary
Standard Retail Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick29 August 2018
Low hours but pay above minimum wage allows for a balance between life and work. Stressful at times, especially during rush hours. Management for the most part were reasonable, besides some outliers. Would recommend as a short term option.
Fast paced, you will hit the ground running
Trainee Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 August 2018
The benefits are the best offered from any retailer in Ireland. Be prepared to work hard and long hours. Really good introduction for anyone looking to start their career in the fashion industry. Great for your CV and recognised globally as a dynamic/fast and challenging place to work.
Pros
Subsidised canteen, inhouse gym, young social company with incredible offices
Cons
Long hours, no focus on developing the people they have, slow career progression for the majority of people
fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 August 2018
Penneys has many people with transferable skills and i have leaarnt alot from them. it was a fun experience including meeting new people and learning new skills
Hardworking
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donegal28 July 2018
Started working here as Christmas staff , working in Retail was very new for me. Some staff we're lovely others not so much. Christmas time is the busiest for Penney's.
Easy Going
Sales Assistant/ Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Galway20 July 2018
Very friendly management, able to give friendly criticism and get on with all staff. Opportunities to progress is very easy and welcomed if desired. Very good company to work for.
Busy Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal18 July 2018
A nice place to work. A large environment with many different groups. Almost always something to do. A lot of dealing with customers. Some managers were not very nice.
Pros
good salary
Back in 2004
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Drogheda, County Louth12 July 2018
I loved working in Penneys. I started when it got its first make-over. This job gave me confidence as a sales assistant.
It was a great first "real" job.
Pros
grabbing the bargains first!
Cons
The walk from the stock room to the canteen
very busy store, can be hard work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford City Centre, County Waterford23 June 2018
Very busy day from start to finish, training given to everyone when you start, up to individual what they want to learn after that, i.e. first aid, service leader, service desk, lots of opportunities if you want them. lovely bunch of people to work with. lots of different departments.Some departments can involve heavy boxes, (box shoes, duvet,etc),
Pros
lovely staff and customers
Fast Paced
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin6 June 2018
A great place to work, offer great opportunities.
great team to be apart of.
I would say if you have a busy out of work life then night shifts may not be for you.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no life with nightshifts
global environment of workplace
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 May 2018
Every time I walk into a PENNEYS store , I genuinely sense a rich working environment of a global firm that is every thing going in perfect co-ordination and in a well organised manner.
Pros
Empathy with the employee's situation
Cons
Empathy with the employee's situation
Great Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare21 May 2018
Great people, I couldn't say enough of about the people; however, management and senior leadership is difficult. They are a squad. Hard work - always felt it took a toll on me and my family. Medium pay, not competitive enough with other roles in the market. Feel confident in selling the product, Indeed is always testing and doing what is for the greater good of the people - we help people get jobs. I think the fast growth has hurt our culture and communication but that is still an important factor for Indeed. Which means, you can still feel like you are a part of an org that really does care about the bigger picture. Great PTO (unlimited) and great benefits!
Tralee store- STAY AWAY
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry1 May 2018
If you are applying for the Tralee store, you're better off staying away. ou can't talk to your workmates AT ALL on the floor and you will get stopped if you're talking to a customer for too long.
Good Starting Wage
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry25 April 2018
The starting wage is one euro above the minimum wage and increases every year.

Fast paced.

Working on the tills is the best part as you get to interact with the customers.

I was unfortunate to get a manager that disliked me and was very hard to work under for that reason. They treated me differently to everyone else I started with, and this made me dislike the job as the pay wasn't good enough for how i was being treated by the manager.

I ended up not renewing my contract for the sake of my mental health.
Pros
Good Wage
Cons
Manager
Great Job
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 March 2018
As soon as I Became an employee I felt like part of the team the staff are very friendly and a very organisation to work for and the work always kept you busy
Busy and fun atmosphere
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny ,County Donegal, Ireland16 February 2018
Each day I went to my assigned department. I took note of what clothing needed to be restocked. Then I went up to the store room to get the clothes that were needed to bring them downstairs. I reduced any clothing that was on sale. I had a role in assisting customers with any queries and tidied clothing on the hangers and the shelves. I learnt customer service skills. The managers were all very lovely and happy to help at any point. Penney's was always busy so the day flew.
Pros
Discount, the shifts went very fast
Cons
It gets very messy at times