Penneys Employee Reviews

global environment of workplace
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 May 2018
Every time I walk into a PENNEYS store , I genuinely sense a rich working environment of a global firm that is every thing going in perfect co-ordination and in a well organised manner.
Pros
Empathy with the employee's situation
Cons
Empathy with the employee's situation
Great Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare21 May 2018
Great people, I couldn't say enough of about the people; however, management and senior leadership is difficult. They are a squad. Hard work - always felt it took a toll on me and my family. Medium pay, not competitive enough with other roles in the market. Feel confident in selling the product, Indeed is always testing and doing what is for the greater good of the people - we help people get jobs. I think the fast growth has hurt our culture and communication but that is still an important factor for Indeed. Which means, you can still feel like you are a part of an org that really does care about the bigger picture. Great PTO (unlimited) and great benefits!
Tralee store- STAY AWAY
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry1 May 2018
If you are applying for the Tralee store, you're better off staying away. ou can't talk to your workmates AT ALL on the floor and you will get stopped if you're talking to a customer for too long.
Good Starting Wage
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry25 April 2018
The starting wage is one euro above the minimum wage and increases every year.

Fast paced.

Working on the tills is the best part as you get to interact with the customers.

I was unfortunate to get a manager that disliked me and was very hard to work under for that reason. They treated me differently to everyone else I started with, and this made me dislike the job as the pay wasn't good enough for how i was being treated by the manager.

I ended up not renewing my contract for the sake of my mental health.
Pros
Good Wage
Cons
Manager
Great Job
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare18 March 2018
As soon as I Became an employee I felt like part of the team the staff are very friendly and a very organisation to work for and the work always kept you busy
Busy and fun atmosphere
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny ,County Donegal, Ireland16 February 2018
Each day I went to my assigned department. I took note of what clothing needed to be restocked. Then I went up to the store room to get the clothes that were needed to bring them downstairs. I reduced any clothing that was on sale. I had a role in assisting customers with any queries and tidied clothing on the hangers and the shelves. I learnt customer service skills. The managers were all very lovely and happy to help at any point. Penney's was always busy so the day flew.
Pros
Discount, the shifts went very fast
Cons
It gets very messy at times
Penneys kilkenny
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny Town, County Kilkenny19 January 2018
Had the most horrible time while working in the kilkenny store. Management bitched openly about members of staff. The way some of the managers talked to their staff was ridiculous and completely uncalled for. The favouritism in the store was also blatantly obvious
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management not nice
Absolute joke
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin17 January 2018
Power hungry managers with no jobs prospects or social skills. They are so far detached and disconnected from reality that they think because they are one step higher in the hierarchy chain they can treat staff like second class citizens, management is condescending and disrespectful for no reasons. Absolutely no trust in the store. Basically a prison, staff is not aloud speak freely and if they are found talking you are basically told less talking more working like something from a sweat shop. Tries to appear friendly and equal opportunities but in the end it's all about who who know not what you know. Would I recommend working there? No not unless I had a serious brain injury.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else you could possibly think of
fast paced and well paying
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 January 2018
Typical say of work consists of pulling stock and filling rails in the morning, then tidying the shop floor during busy periods. Till work is required during the busy periods at times. Good management. Very good pay and ideal for students.
fast-paced work enviornment
Senior Sales Assistant, Patrick Street, Cork City (Current Employee) –  cork9 January 2018
Fast-paced but unchallenging work environment with decent pay. Worked with other students with similar interests which makes the job more enjoyable. Learned exceptional customer service skills.
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 January 2018
A typical day working in Penney's is busy. While folding or hanging clothes you also have to be able to answer customer questions, clear away stock from a different section that has been dumped in your section, run to the stockroom and price check items. It keeps you busy for the hours you're there.

The managers are all exceptionally nice, they're there to help you and not to make the job harder. The managers in p&c are just as nice, they are there to answer your questions and they give you the best options to choose from.

The most enjoyable part of the job is clearing items. It keeps you busy while you're also learning about a the departments and items in the shop, this comes in handy when customers ask you a question.

Overall, working in Penney's has given me a great experience for my future and it has been enjoyable working for them.
Pros
Can make food and drinks for the price of 10 cent
Cons
from 9 to 10 pm the shop is closed and there isnt much to do
Horrible, nasty business to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin29 December 2017
Treated like absolute shte, no respect for the normal working employees. Managers walk around all high and mighty (no it wasn’t just the store I felt like this I worked in two different stores.) they work you like dogs and get very little to no thanks for it. Then when they get busy and employ all new staff the old staff gets no hours. 100% would not recommend
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Horrible company/management
Productive and opportunities available internally
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 November 2017
Penneys gets very busy so you are never left idle. Managers communication could be improved and respect for retail assistants. Extra hours usually available. Be mindful of the hours band you apply to as management don't like to make reviews to increase
Pros
Good wages, diverse employees, opportunities for internal promotions
Cons
Management can be rude, HR team are unapproachable and inconsiderate of personal responsibilities, managers look down on retail assistants, insufficient training, to new staff, HR don't ask existing staff to increase contract hours before hiring new staff
Very enjoyable
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth4 November 2017
Employees were often rotated between departments and tasks which made the work quite enjoyable. Each task had to be completed promptly however there was a sufficient number of staff to ensure employees werent under too much stress.
The day to day conversations with other employees was very friendly and employees made an effort to get along with everyone else in the workplace. Management was very good and very friendly however communication breakdown was a reoccurring problem due to an unclear span of control.
The shifts were very desirable and Penneys sometimes accommodated for swaps or changes of shift if necessary.
The wage was excellent and holiday pay and 150% rate of pay on sundays and public holidays was a big bonus.
All around great company to work for and a very enjoyable job.
Pros
Very good pay
Work not appreciated, not worth the wage.
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin24 October 2017
It is nice that the starting wage is one euro above minimum, however the work environment, level of respect afforded to staff and bare minimum of training offered to new hires does not make it worth it. It was by no means the worst job, but there are far better retail positions available out there.
Good workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin20 September 2017
Very good place to work. Always kept busy and on your feet. Very friendly staff. Good hours. Very good starting salary anf give very good training. Ideal place to work
boring place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford City Centre, County Waterford5 September 2017
stock room is a complete mess,nobody knows where anything is,boxes all unmarked,you are always unsure of what you need to bring to the floor,due to the mess you take longer to find products customers are looking for,some of the managers aren't very nice and will give out to you about certain things but yet go and do those exact things,only thing I enjoyed about penneys were being on returns,and being on checkouts,peope in there can be nice but a very awkward environment if you are a new staff member.
Pros
good pay
Cons
very boring job unless on checkouts, messy stock room
Fun friendly place to work
Retail Operator (Former Employee) –  Galway21 August 2017
I worked here during the Christmas period. I was unfortunately let go at the end of my contract but I honestly enjoyed going into work every day. Something I can say I haven't had in a lot of jobs.
Loved working
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford10 August 2017
I loved working in penney as the customer service role was person to person. And the active role it was. I much prefer to be in an active position then sitting at a desk.
Pros
Dealing with customers and a discount at christmas
Cons
you were not allowed to leave the building on your two 15 minute breaks
fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin7 August 2017
great job if you are on full time contract
work from Monday to Friday (office hours)
difficult if you need a career
good money
no ability to progress career
lack of trainings and courses