Penneys

Penneys Employee Reviews

Money is good

The wages are unreal considering the job you have to do. They rise to over €15/hr after 5 years. After one year your wage rises by nearly €2/hr which is pretty much unheard of in any other similar job. When I was there, there were 2/3 lovely managers and then rest were horrible people. Doesn’t matter whether you’re hard working or not - some would always treat you like a piece of dirt. So maybe the company could look at training their managers on people skills. Progression is based on friendships and years of service. You need to commit to them for years before you are considered or you need to be exceptional and this could be considered fair as they need to know you’re worth investing in.

Pros

Wages, culture among staff

Cons

Management, hours are either very low or full on - no consistency

Work was fine

Don’t expect to become permanent they will do everything in there power not to keep you permanent been there for years they just kept making up excuses about how they couldn’t keep me

Pros

Money

Cons

Mangers

Boring and poor work environment

Not sure what it’s like in other locations but this location was not an enjoyable Penney’s to work for, very unenjoyable for seasonal staff; clear favouritism from management between seasonal and permanent staff i.e some permanent staff get away with not pulling their weight, given easier tasks to do. Temporary staff got in a lot more trouble for stupid reasons such as being too chatty, then not being chatty enough, being 30 seconds late off your lunch etc. Doesn’t matter how hard working you are. Overheard management and many older members of staff insulting the abilities of seasonal workers, with some being reduced to tears by the comments made! Very over staffed which led to many people standing around with nothing to do, and very very little hours each week. No variety in what work you’re given, either sit at the tills all day or stand in the corner and fold t shirts. While being on tills I found myself up to my eyes with sales and a queue out the door while the permanent staff would huddle together behind the counter and have a chat amongst themselves. Only benefit is the staff discount that’s given once every now and again and 1 or 2 managers that would chat to you like a normal person. Great if you’re permanent not if you’re temporary!

Pros

Discount

Cons

Boring, favouritism

Stressful

Overall my experience as a pennies retail experience was very stressful. The pennies I worked in had a very strong bullying and exclusion culture as most of there staff are young teens and don’t understand the difference between work and a classroom. Management were very close to individuals who lived in the area and favoured them over others. Overall I’m working in pennies I both experienced and witnessed unfair treatment, bullying and was put under very stressful working conditions.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Atmosphere

Calm workplace

I really enjoyed working here. Unlike other places Penneys hires enough staff for all the work that needs to be done, so it was never stressful. For me there was a good rotation between departments and till work so I was rarely doing one thing all shift long.

Pros

Kind and helpful management

Cons

Work can get monotonous

Good place to work. Everyone very nice and helpful.

Busy but relaxed atmosphere. Friendly colleagues and supervisors. Staff are very helpful.Could be a mixture, cash register, shop floor, deliveries, merchandising. Sometimes, half in half or maybe you would be on cash register one day and shop floor the next.

Pros

Nice to work locally. Friendly staff and nice atmosphere.

Cons

Can be tiring on your feet, but you get used to it and wear comfortable shoes.

nice place and fun

it is a great place to work. People are fun! The Management are nice and very understanding. It is very busy, and sometimes you work hours on your feet without a break, but even though I liked it.

Pros

good hate payment

Cons

hours on your feet without a break

Great environment and good to work for

The staff was very encouraging and supportive.The managers were comprehensive and always willing to help and solve questions. I had an overall very good experience there and would 100% recommend working for them.

Pros

Staff discount

No work balance when your a weekend manager

One of the worse companies I have ever worked for ! I would highly recommend staying away from this company, it will affect your mental health and penneys won't care YOUR JUST A NUMBER!!You'll only get on in this company if you in the click and don't have a voice or an option. Their is no work balance or trying to get certain days off for special occasions is a no no !!They will allow you to go to an special occasions for 2 or 3 hours on a weekend, but will have to come back into work, so you will not be allowed a full weekend day off ,and trying to get your holiday days is a joke .So look elsewhere as length of service means nothing to this company and neither does any issues with your mental health

Cons

Not the best - avoid if college student

Pay is good for retail and increases every year. However the hours are extremely unsociable. I felt like I had no life/work balance. I would not recommend working here particularly if you are a college student, as I found it very hard to balance assignments and exams while working here. HR were not very cooperative when you needed time off for college commitments. The management also mistreat staff and have favourites.

Pros

Good pay for retail

Cons

Management, awful work/life balance

Awful

Absolutely hated it. If you don't suck up to managers you don't get anywhere. If you don't then you will be singled out and get in trouble for stupid reasons. My mental health suffered working here

Retail assistant

Worked here as a temporary staff member at Christmas and summertime. Worked hard but never got offered an extended contract. Managers have a habit of picking favourites, some long term staff members look down on temporary staff despite doing the same jobs but some very nice co workers here too. Hours very awkward, always scheduled to work in the evenings so my days were gone, never any variation. Day goes fine if you’re on tills, if you’re on the shop floor it can be difficult as it is quite messy during peak times. Found that some staff members do not pull their weight in some tasks. Have had numerous payroll issues here which was difficult to sort with management. Despite this it is a nice working environment in general and I enjoyed working here.

Cons

Awkward hours

Grest job but no job security

Loved working in penneys I've had 4 contracts all of which were 3 month contracts, it's very hard progress when you don't even have a permanent job. We are sometimes understaffed so I know they need us temps there. I could be let go at any time and have no security. Lovely managers and great working environment. Good pay and excellent hours.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No security

Good

Good atmosphere however no reference given. Sometimes managers are very hard to work with and give no guidance especially on busy days. Seasonal staff are not treated very nicely.

Pros

Very good pay

Cons

No reference

Not recommended

Very draining work, junior management on power trips, new staff/younger staff treated with no respect, a lot of drama/pettiness with managers Management and HR have no concern about the individual workers or their personal life as they are seen as disposable. Older staff look down upon new arrivals and almost seem territorial as they have been there their whole lives. The work itself is not too bad consists of folding , and mostly cleaning the shop floor. Staff are not allowed to converse with eachother and almost seems school like which I feel odd

Pros

Salary, First pick of clothes and sale items

Cons

Unprofessional management, lack of respect for workers

It was very difficult

Never knew my hours for the necr weekend. Tried to become full time by setting up a meeting and they never followed threw. I had mixed shifts and I did not like it. I wouldnt work untill either really late in the evening and most of my day be gone waiting or else I'll start really early rarely.

Pros

Staff were nice

Cons

Terrible hours

fast - paced

Great place to work. Fast paced so suited for those who are fast learners. Managers are very understanding and eaasy to get along with. you are rostered in more than your contracted hours.

Pros

great pay

Cons

other staff members can be hard to get along with

I learned a lot working here and it was a good starting point to gain experience in retail. However I didn’t like how one or two of the managers treated me. I made friends and got on well with all the staff.

Pros

Gained new skills and friends

Cons

Some managers were rude

Inclusive place to work, part of a communal team, fast-paced, confidence building job, excellent experience

A typical day in Penneys is generally fast-paced. There will almost always be a member of management or a colleague you can turn to for guidance and/or questions when beginning which is essential when starting in any new job, it is a communal job meaning your colleagues will always be willing to support you and it truly is a team effort maintaining, running and/or representing the brand. At peak hours it can be stressful at times, however, the team effort truly makes the world of a difference. It is a great job for working with others and building upon essential work skills such as teamwork, customer service, the ability to think on your feet and working instinctively. A great team to be a part of and their training (which has been previously updated) is very good.

Horrible company to work for! Dreadful time

The worst place in the world to work for, the management are an absolute disgrace I worked in Liffey Valley store and the way you’re treated is a joke

customer oriented

The shop would become very chaotic during peak hours and it was difficult to maintain a clean floor. The stock was filled once or twice everyday. The staff were assigned there roles on an hourly basis which was very organised. breaks were always given fairly and the staff were very friendly and patient with customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Penneys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement
  • Penneys
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?