Penneys Employee Reviews

fast paced
Very fast paced work environment
promotion prospects ok
I have enjoyed my time with the company but opportunities at my current level are limited at present
Good working atmosphere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longford Town, County Longford20 October 2019
Penneys longford though a small store in the network was very busy. The team at this store were very helpful and assisted me in learning the processes and how to deal with the customers. I enjoyed my time in the store very much
Fast pace and good wages.
Fulltime sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 October 2019
•Good wages for the retail industry.
•Great leeway for needing time off and quite lenient and understanding if you are genuinely ill.
•Hard work is genuinely appreciated by managers. But you end up picking up others slack and getting grief from those staff for showing them up. So basically don’t work too quickly if you want to fit in.
•Great opportunities to progress in store. I’ve known staff to go from retail assistants to supervisors to managers.
•Most staff are friendly but because it’s a big store there is also lots of grievances and gossip.
•I learned a lot about fashion, merchandising, good customer service among a lot of other skills.
• I’ve worked both part time and full time positions so I do feel that full time staff get preferential treatment and more respect than the part time staff.
•The actual work can be very physical when drawing stock putting it out. Heavy boxes, stripping plastic and often moving stock to keep a fresh look.
• But the evening work consists of tidying stock which can be very monotonous and drag out the time.
•The tills are fine and gives you a break and a chance to rest your feet since they have seats.
•Fitting-rooms are a nightmare though, the system isn’t followed properly so adds to confusion and irate customers. Also they are very busy and you can’t count the clothes properly when people are leaving because the stock is rolled up in balls and thrown at you when the customer is leaving. And it’s hard to not sound rude while asking them to hand them to you properly.
But generally it’s a good place to work.
Good pay, Bad atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tralee, County Kerry15 October 2019
Worked here for a a number of years, at first I loved it but as the years went on the life was sucked out of me. Lots of cliques. It was too stressful, and the pressure that certain managers put us under. One rule for one person and one rule for others. The wages were good the sick pay was good the holiday pay was good but at the end of the day the money and job wasn't worth it. Found it to be a very toxic environment.

I am blessed to have made some very good friends from there and also had the pleasure of having some lovely managers. It's ok for a first job and to get experience in retail.
very good job
Picker (Current Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare11 October 2019
job in penneys is esier than in another wherehouses , we have to picking all day but pick rate is not to big and you have time to rest your back. sallary the same is good and shift are the same better than in another place , you can start from 6 am to 9 am...
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin10 October 2019
Great place to work, staff are all friendly and welcoming and really look to help you when you first start off. Never felt unhappy going into work and I was always satisfied that I had done my job correctly upon leaving. Very straightforward with what tasks you were to do on your day of work.
Former employee
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath8 October 2019
Penney’s is a great place to work. Management are fantastic and once you work with them they will always support you in your work.
Only thing the store was bad for was drama between younger employees but you have that everywhere! I loved my time in Penney’s, I made life long friends in there.
The only reason I didn’t say was due to the contracts .
Pros
Great management. Staff are lovely. Good rate of pay.
Cons
Contract based. No stability if you have a family. Limited to 15 hours a week!
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin4 October 2019
Great part time job for college students, flexible working hours.
Great place to work in order to gain experience and further career within the company. Plenty of opportunities to do so.
Staff really make it a fun place to work
No job security, belittling manager.
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Navan, County Meath27 September 2019
I did a 3 month contract. Wasn't told it was not going to be renewed even though I continually asked approaching the end date, they just made up a new roster and my name was not on it, 5 days before the end of my contract. When I approached management about this I was simply told oh you should have gotten a letter, we'll get a letter sorted for tomorrow. 4 days notice technically.
The work is fine, easy and fast paced. Floor staff are all very nice and helpful. Floor managers are approachable. The overall store manager is completely unapproachable, rude, belittling and makes snide remarks. Absolutely would never return because of this. No job security.
productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin27 September 2019
workplace culture was enjoyable. the management was good
didnt really enjoy anything. there was nothing hard about my job.
i learned how to be more organised
Decent place for a retail job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin16 September 2019
Starting off working in Primark, there were continuous problems with wage and I didn’t receive the full amount of money I was owed until I left the company.
Pros
Never being bored
Cons
Long days
Very good place to work
Store Person (Former Employee) –  Dublin29 August 2019
It's a good place to work managers are very helpful and it's easy going but the work has to be done correct! pay was always on time and has a staff cafe for you to relax and eat your lunch
Work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longford5 August 2019
Whilst working here i found i felt part of a family it was such a great experience meeting customers on a day to day basis helping them in any way needed. I would highly recommend working here it is high energy and full of life.
Pros
Salary is great and time and a half on sundays and public holidays
Cons
Part time staff recieve short contracts
Good pay, bad management
Retail Assistant (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Dublin2 August 2019
Staff lovely, money and benefits are great however members of management in my store have proven to affect me mentally as an employee, I will not be working here much longer.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management, repetitive work
Encouraging, New skills, Supportive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge18 July 2019
I really enjoyed my time working in Penneys. I learned new skills and made new friendships. I faced challenges but always knew i could turn to management and colleagues if I was unsure. I would definitely reapply to Penneys again.
Pros
Great pay, great support
good place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 July 2019
good place to work, people are lovely, managers are lovely. Great place to work while in school/ college. good pay and benefits. overall good place to work
good place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin15 July 2019
Busy atmosphere but never stressful.
Temporary Part-Time Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath11 July 2019
Working at Penneys was a real confidence builder.
Throughout my time in Penneys I was trained in many different areas such as the tills, shoes, rails and the kids section. Handling cash was something I hadn't done before but management made sure everyone had the opportunity to learn.
There was never a boring day because I was placed into a different section every shift.
Pros
Salary
Not for everyone
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dublin7 July 2019
Money is great ,but theres about 20 managers over you one can say something to u then another will say something to.u very false management no communication no help can be so ignorant ,if u need to change your hours for family reason wont accommodate u .staff are lovely .too many chief's not enough indians
Pros
Grat salary
Cons
Management dont look after the good staff
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dublin5 June 2019
Penneys is a great place to work, I worked there for nearly 4 years.
Staff in my branch are lovely to work with, management are kind and understanding, salary is brilliant, first choice on all new products, learn a lot about customer service.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Part time fixed term contracts only