Penneys Employee Reviews

Great Staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin14 May 2019
The staff are great and make the days easier, There is great opportunities to move up in the company and even opportunities to work abroad in new stores.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Atmosphere
Horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galway6 May 2019
Worked here for 6 months after which I got let go. I took a few days off due to illness and was told when I was back I was let go due to the time off. Bad contracts. Barely any hours and bad pay.
Pros
Get to put stuff aside.
Cons
Management and staff members are horrible
Productive and friendly workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rathfarnham, County Dublin6 May 2019
I spent one week in penneys for my transition year work experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The manager was very nice and encouraging.
Amazing place to work, everyone is so so friendly I was part of the Xmas staff so unfortunately finished up in January but hoping to go back soon.
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford22 April 2019
Amazing place to work, everyone is so so friendly I was part of the Xmas staff so unfortunately finished up in January but hoping to go back soon For the summer and I can’t wait
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Contract too short 🙁
Great money and stress free place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cork5 April 2019
I found all staff to be lovely , time and a half on sunday and a decent wage with a great christmas bonus. Team work was great and happy relaxed environment
Pros
Great wage and bonus, stress free job
Cons
Watching people destroy stock you just folded
Terrible Management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin31 March 2019
Most of the management in this store are absolutely awful. Some floor managers belittle staff openly in front of customers and colleagues as well as to eachother when they think they are out of earshot. They have favourites among their staff with some being allowed to spend the day chatting while others are constantly being checked on and given extra work to pick up the slack.

Emails to HR about roster requests often don't get answered and only after the more emails or having to go into the store and ask in person are rosters changed. Staff are left waiting outside on early mornings when no manager is rostered to start because of mix ups or because the managers don't arrive until 10 minutes before clock in. You are often be told to do different things by different managers because they don't let eachother know what they have their staff doing. The stockroom is so full of stock that it's very easy to trip or fall over something and unless you get injured it's just forgotten about and no report filled out. There is a real culture of fear of what management will do if anything is reported. This is made worse by the fact that there is no union representative for the shop.

It was honestly one of the worst run places I have ever worked and I am glad that I don't have to deal with the management there anymore.
Pros
Above average pay
Cons
Terrible management for the most part
fun
Sales Assistant/ Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dublin12 February 2019
easy day to day
learned the basics of merchandising
management o.k
really good atmosphere in the store
hardest part of the job Easter and Christmas
the people
Fun and good pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny2 February 2019
I only worked here as a summer temp and was asked to stay on after my contract but unfortunately I couldn't stay. The pay was good for my first job, and time and a half on Sundays/Bank Hol was good. Mix of older and younger staff. Most enjoyable part was being on the tills as this where you get to talk to people. Most of the management was approachable but you could tell some of them had their favourites. Requesting days off was fine as long as you did it a bit in advance, and swapping shifts if necessary was easy to do. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Penneys.
Pros
Good pay, interaction with customers on tills
Cons
Quiet midweek evenings
bad atmosphere
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Galway25 January 2019
for an enthusiastic person this job sucked the life out of me. Not enough hours were provided to me even though i was fully available, people in college getting more hours. I didnt get paid for 5-6 weeks and the rota was copy and pasted every week leaving me with my 5 4hr shifts a week. Not much communication between managers and some staff have an extremely bad attitude towards new people and it is very much known to you
Pros
good wage once your made permanent, which you need 4 contracts to do so
Cons
dealing with unfriendly staff and customers
Fun and Good atmosphere
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth19 January 2019
I loved working in Penneys. It really helps to build up your confidence of working in retil espesically in such a big store. everyone who works there is so nice and welcome
Pros
good wage
fun workplace
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Galway9 December 2018
very nice staff they were very pleasant to work with. i love fashion so being in penneys everyday was like a dream come true. i would be very happy too work in penneys again.
Productive fun
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADMINISTRATOR/SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Swords, Co. Dublin, IE3 December 2018
Good place to work, Good benefits and shift work. management is very very nice. would recommend it to anybody in college in need of a job. good contracts
great
Sales Assitant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth18 November 2018
lovely place to work , would recommend to anyone else looking for work . pays well and the employee moral is always very high. managers are approachable and fair
Excellent
P&C Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 November 2018
It is an excellent employer with great career opportunities. It's real fast paced environment, and no day is the same. Everyday you learn something new.
ONLY GOOD FOR FIRST TIME. Cant be hired more 2 or 3 times, they will ignore.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin18 October 2018
This may be an ok job for someones first time but if you are looking for a job with more security this is not it.

They will keep you temporary so you keep having to come back and apply again, but you will never be taken on permanently. They will completely ignore your job application just so they don't have to take you on full time if they hired you.

Also if you are looking for a fair workplace please look elsewhere. The managers (some) are just hypocrites who tell you to get right back to work but then turn around and spend the whole day yapping in the corner doing zero work.

They will not care about their current full time staff (will not give them enough hours) but still end up taking on 30+ new staff despite that.

Dont expect an answer back from your application if you have worked in penneys before, they are afraid of having to take people on full time, because they don't want to have to pay extra money, so they will just completely ignore you and your application.
Pros
Ok money for first job
Cons
No job security, hypocritical managers
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin5 October 2018
I worked in Pennys in swords and they are the worst company to ever work with. Management are terrible and belittling. Never again stay away from this Pennys
Pros
Salary
Standard Retail Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick29 August 2018
Low hours but pay above minimum wage allows for a balance between life and work. Stressful at times, especially during rush hours. Management for the most part were reasonable, besides some outliers. Would recommend as a short term option.
Fast paced, you will hit the ground running
Trainee Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dublin23 August 2018
The benefits are the best offered from any retailer in Ireland. Be prepared to work hard and long hours. Really good introduction for anyone looking to start their career in the fashion industry. Great for your CV and recognised globally as a dynamic/fast and challenging place to work.
Pros
Subsidised canteen, inhouse gym, young social company with incredible offices
Cons
Long hours, no focus on developing the people they have, slow career progression for the majority of people
fun place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin17 August 2018
Penneys has many people with transferable skills and i have leaarnt alot from them. it was a fun experience including meeting new people and learning new skills
Hardworking
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Donegal28 July 2018
Started working here as Christmas staff , working in Retail was very new for me. Some staff we're lovely others not so much. Christmas time is the busiest for Penney's.