Petmania

Petmania Employee Reviews

Ireland17 reviews
Everyday, we would start the morning by health checking and feeding every animal in the shop, ensuring their safety. The rest of the day would mostly involve assisting customers in their queries and advising them on how to best care for their pets.
Overall, I found my job to be outstandingly educational. I learned things that will benefit me for the rest of my life, such as canine nutrition and how to treat various illnesses among a whole array of animals. In my two years, I have had little problems with the managment of Petmania. They fullfilled their roles well and always worked for the betterment of the company as a whole.

Overall, a positive and fullfilling experience.
Pros
15% friends and family discount, A laid back work enviroment
Cons
Slightly understaffed, It seemed that sales came before the wellfare of the livestock.
Terrible company. The culture is shocking. Managers instructed to cut employees hours as form of punishment if they disagree or try to fight for their rights. Managers driven crazy, many stressed to the point they cannot cope anymore. Small animals shipped from abroad. Overally terrible place to be, unless you are far enough from head office.
i really liked it at petmania it was so fun because you see a lot of animals i feed the animals and worked as a cashier and i had great fun with the staff
I thought it was quite fun working at petmania the work force were nice and friendly made me feel welcome I would not mind working here again, even though I worked there for a short amount of time
Pros
Friendly work force
Cons
Just a bit unclean in the cafeteria
A typical day in petmania was greeting customers, maintaining a clean and save environment and tending to needs of people and animals and knowing where there are problems. I learned a lot there about dealing with the public and gained confidence in myself.
Management were ok. There was nothing I could say was too easy not too hard but you do have to go into this job with a love for pets and good morals in terms of having a good sense of who your selling animals to and knowing they're going to a good home.
Pros
working with and learning more about different animals.
Cons
minimum hours and not knowing what the next week will bring in relation to wages and hours.
It was quite a decent experience and as it is quite decent it is implied that it possessed quite a bit of work in that it was excessively simple within General
Pros
Enjoyable Staff
Cons
Reduced animal Size
On a daily basis I checked up on the animals and made sure they had enough food and water, if their cages had been dirty I had to clean it up. I also stocked new products onto the shelves, cleaned up around the store
I have worked in a few places the mist resent was Petmania and i was a customer adviser i worked there for two years where i was dealing with customers both face to face or over the phone
Pros
communication, team worker, active
Cons
take my time
This company is family run and on the surface seems to be getting better. They have survived despite some initial problems and changes to the store layout.
Very difficult place to work. Very poor atmosphere with a very autocratic area manager who was very underhanded, sneaky and just not a very nice person. Very strange set up where he supplied the fish as an aside. The handling of the fish was shocking with the amount dead on every delivery very disturbing. Same went for small animals but not to the same extent. The managers always seemed to be under pressure but were fair and helpful. A lot of reliance on the guys as there was a lot of lifting. Hours were varied and extra hours were paid with extra for Sundays. Met the owner (living in Canada) twice& he seemed very nice & genuinely interested in the staff, don't think she would stand for what goes on a day to day basis.
Pros
Fellow staff
Cons
Area manager
I must say truthfully and honestly , Petmania is an awful place to work . Inadequate management and underhanded strategies . They did treat staff disgracefully . Employees have Won cases against them in Labour Court and I believe that there is more than one case. In my opinion the HR dep. at this time was a joke and their HR department needed training .i would be shock if the HR dep is still the same . The store was icy cold during the winter and unhealthy for staff . Stay clear if you have any sense or dignity.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Everything Else
Friendly staff
Multitude of jobs available

Not a very active store

Would have appreciated more responsibility when obtaining tasks
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Little customers
Wages are terrible. There is no such thing as a pay rise, no animal handling courses which is part of your daily duties. Animals not cared for if they fall ill or hurt. Never checked by vets. You have to lift 25kg bags of food on your own. Had no manual handling until 3 years with the company. Area manager is a little hitler and dictates everything. Has no idea on how to run a pet shop business. Manager is fair. Only suitable for students not for someone wanting to future there career. Overall not somewhere I would work again.
Pros
Staff were cool
Cons
Very little hours, wages are a disgrace and no poetry its to advance
To work in petmania is great if you are interested in animals and you are a student but, if you want to further yourself and climb the career ladder it is a slow process.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
minimum salary
Great to meet so many animal lovers.Furthering knowledge of animal husbandry.
Pros
Involvement with animals
Cons
no proper break
Excellent place to work, normal day of work is fun and energetic constantly on your feet and meeting new people and customers almost everyday.
co workers are great craic but i dont see much of them as i am in the salon most of the day grooming dogs, i also deal with customers meeting them and booking the dogs in. first part of the morning is to book my first couple of clients in, take details of any new clients that may be arriving log all information into the computer system, start groomig the first couple of dogs that are in while also answering phones for booking and dealing with walk in customers. somethings i get a lunch after that i would book in the next lot of dogs i have and work away on them doing the same as I did during the morning, when all dogs are done i make sure salon is clean and washed down, i then ring all appointments for the next day to confirm them. most enjoyable part of the job is when you get a dog you just cant resist!! hardest part is having to work late sometimes
Pros
meeting the clients
Cons
sometimes you might not get a lunch