Petmania Employee Reviews

There was a time where I thoroughly enjoyed working there.
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois2 January 2019
A typical day in petmania was greeting customers, maintaining a clean and save environment and tending to needs of people and animals and knowing where there are problems. I learned a lot there about dealing with the public and gained confidence in myself.
Management were ok. There was nothing I could say was too easy not too hard but you do have to go into this job with a love for pets and good morals in terms of having a good sense of who your selling animals to and knowing they're going to a good home.
Pros
working with and learning more about different animals.
Cons
minimum hours and not knowing what the next week will bring in relation to wages and hours.
Friendly workplace
Assisting in animal care (Former Employee) –  Galway2 July 2018
On a daily basis I checked up on the animals and made sure they had enough food and water, if their cages had been dirty I had to clean it up. I also stocked new products onto the shelves, cleaned up around the store
I am willing to work hard
Customer service, assisting customers both face (Former Employee) –  Port Laoise, County Laois30 January 2018
I have worked in a few places the mist resent was Petmania and i was a customer adviser i worked there for two years where i was dealing with customers both face to face or over the phone
Pros
communication, team worker, active
Cons
take my time
Pet store with a lot of changes
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, County Offaly31 May 2017
This company is family run and on the surface seems to be getting better. They have survived despite some initial problems and changes to the store layout.
Would not recommend
Pet care advisor (Former Employee) –  Carlow, portlaoise, tullamore30 September 2016
Very difficult place to work. Very poor atmosphere with a very autocratic area manager who was very underhanded, sneaky and just not a very nice person. Very strange set up where he supplied the fish as an aside. The handling of the fish was shocking with the amount dead on every delivery very disturbing. Same went for small animals but not to the same extent. The managers always seemed to be under pressure but were fair and helpful. A lot of reliance on the guys as there was a lot of lifting. Hours were varied and extra hours were paid with extra for Sundays. Met the owner (living in Canada) twice& he seemed very nice & genuinely interested in the staff, don't think she would stand for what goes on a day to day basis.
Pros
Fellow staff
Cons
Area manager
Animals are treated better than Staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wexford/kilkenny /Waterford2 September 2016
I must say truthfully and honestly , Petmania is an awful place to work . Inadequate management and underhanded strategies . They did treat staff disgracefully . Employees have Won cases against them in Labour Court and I believe that there is more than one case. In my opinion the HR dep. at this time was a joke and their HR department needed training .i would be shock if the HR dep is still the same . The store was icy cold during the winter and unhealthy for staff . Stay clear if you have any sense or dignity.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Everything Else
Sales assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick17 April 2016
Friendly staff
Multitude of jobs available
Not a very active store
Would have appreciated more responsibility when obtaining tasks
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Little customers
Bad wages
Pet care advisor (Former Employee) –  Tullamore, OY13 November 2015
Wages are terrible. There is no such thing as a pay rise, no animal handling courses which is part of your daily duties. Animals not cared for if they fall ill or hurt. Never checked by vets. You have to lift 25kg bags of food on your own. Had no manual handling until 3 years with the company. Area manager is a little hitler and dictates everything. Has no idea on how to run a pet shop business. Manager is fair. Only suitable for students not for someone wanting to future there career. Overall not somewhere I would work again.
Pros
Staff were cool
Cons
Very little hours, wages are a disgrace and no poetry its to advance
Fun workplace
Pet care advisor/supervisor (Current Employee) –  Santry, D21 February 2014
To work in petmania is great if you are interested in animals and you are a student but, if you want to further yourself and climb the career ladder it is a slow process.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
minimum salary
Productive, and rewarding experience.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Athlone12 November 2013
Great to meet so many animal lovers.Furthering knowledge of animal husbandry.
Pros
Involvement with animals
Cons
no proper break
Enviroment
Sales. (Retail) (Current Employee) –  Dublin11 August 2013
Excellent place to work, normal day of work is fun and energetic constantly on your feet and meeting new people and customers almost everyday.
fun work place, great team to work with
Head dog groomer (Current Employee) –  kilkenny Ireland18 October 2012
co workers are great craic but i dont see much of them as i am in the salon most of the day grooming dogs, i also deal with customers meeting them and booking the dogs in. first part of the morning is to book my first couple of clients in, take details of any new clients that may be arriving log all information into the computer system, start groomig the first couple of dogs that are in while also answering phones for booking and dealing with walk in customers. somethings i get a lunch after that i would book in the next lot of dogs i have and work away on them doing the same as I did during the morning, when all dogs are done i make sure salon is clean and washed down, i then ring all appointments for the next day to confirm them. most enjoyable part of the job is when you get a dog you just cant resist!! hardest part is having to work late sometimes
Pros
meeting the clients
Cons
sometimes you might not get a lunch