Poundland
Coronavirus update
Information from Poundland:

Poundland Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,939 reviews
As a employee of 6 years and a supervisor of near 4 years, this company gives poor opputunity for progression. If the face doesnt fit u will be over looked.. Poor wages, recent pay rise supervisors only earn extra 20p an hour a week, so if someone is on ur same 30 hour contract u earn extra £6 a week for doing 10 times the work and having all the reponsibilty on ur shoulders.. Wages have had drastic cut backs and they expect the same work being done with higher standards and expectations and even higher targets, and if targets aren't met ur weekly hours will be cut even more which only causes more stress and pressure on managers and staff.. Don't get me wrong i use to enjoy working for this company but the past 2 years its just got harder and harder with so many cut back throughout the company. They dont appreciate the staff or the work they put in as their bonuses (non existent) and hourly pay rate reflects that..Currently looking for a new job, sooner im out the better if im honest..
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Everything else
brilliant company to work for. Busy wee shop everyday day. Cheap essential shop. Theres also new deals in store which are cheaper there than the supermarket's.
I’ve worked for many different retailers including discounters but this company has to be the worst in my 10 years retail. You aren’t treated like a human and they treat people with mental health issues like rubbish. Don’t bother ringing in sick as they try to force you in even though you physically cannot move.

Management are a bunch of school children with zero people and social skills. It’s like Poundland are dragging kids off the streets to come work in their stores. Don’t bother!
Pros
Good staff.
Cons
Everything in the bible!
It is good place for me to work with a such manager who are realy helpful.
Thera is an opportunity to be more successful. It is realy good because its near to my living place.
Really great environment, staff work together and help each other , have really nice cheerful staff, manager and supervisor. Fee more than minimum wedges. Too bad I have to move away to other town.
If u want a real job in retail go to supermarket, want a job in retail that u get stabbed in back and thrown under buses and blamed for stuff u not done then do as u do
Pros
There are no pros
Cons
Long hours, angry customers dishonest managers who think of them selves instead of the business.
When I did work experience at Pound land for my college course I had doubts working there for six months and it wasn't really that good to be honest. The only tasks I was allowed to do there was stacking the shelves, sorting out stock, cleaning up the shop floor and dealing with customer problems. The staff members there mostly kept to themselves to themselves and I didn't do much teamwork with any of them. The only positives I can give was one of the managers was supportive and didn't mind me working on the tasks I had whereas the other manager wasn't that supportive and didn't care about me working there at all. The customers I dealt with throughout my work experience there were alright to deal with though. Overall, it wasn't really a good place do work experience in my opinion. I honestly wouldn't recommend Poundland for work experience in retail but it's up to you if you want to work there.
I worked at Poundland for around two years, and on the most part enjoyed the job. I only left to follow an alternative career, and would happily return.
Be ready to quit. Can be a great job but not enough hours. Most of the managers I had can't do the job and either quit or get fired. Customers are mostly insane, nice or toxic beyond belief. They also steal regularly with no real way of stopping them. Staff are mostly alright. They tend to be eastenders cliches. Treat it as a temp job and you should be ok.
Pros
Tons of holiday
Cons
Usually just 12 hours a week
Overall the company has great values and ethos but at shop level is shocking by management profit chasing, penny pinching and competative supervisors/higher ups trying to outdo one another like school children and absolutely no support
Cons
pay, management, penny chasing etc..
I'd recommend Poundland to anyone. You get discounts, first ones to see new products when they go out on shelves. The team I work with are fun, the boss is amazing. Just a all round fun place to work.
Pros
Fun team
Cons
Appauling company to work for. All they see is money money money. Slashed everyone's hours because of 'budgets' but then employs new staff days later!!! Expected to eat sleep live and breathe Poundland or face being accused of not being 'dedicated enough'. Persistently harrased by phone and text to come in on scheduled days of. Last minute rota changes without being told. Poundland has a major problem with high turn over of managers which speaks VOLUMES about a company. Over 15 managers in less than 4 years. You're just a pair of hands that spin profit for the greedy board of directors. They couldn't give a flying monkeys about you as a person or your life outside of the company
Pros
Some nice customers and coworkers
Cons
Everything apart from getting paid
N/A hate place wont go in their not good place work or shop. Water from ladys come through the shop and mice eatin the food. Will not go in the place.

na
This yer has been a hard one for everyone let’s start off, the birth of my son was a rough one as I nearly lost both him and my misses that day, the company forgot to put my leave on the system and I got paid £65 quid for January with a new born needing food nappies and told me to get on with it
Pros
Cons
The company
Worse company to work for. You guve them your life and its still not enough!!!!!! Absolute disgrace of a company. Wprk you into the ground for minimum wage and then sack you for going off ill for the forst time in 5 years!!!!
Management watching staff working monitoring them on cctv, finding excuse to give staff a telling off. Management didn't seem to care for customer service all they were interested in was money in the tills and achieving add on sales targets, management had no time to help customers only interested in overfilling shelves with stock. Organised clutter.
Pros
9-5 job
Cons
No time for staff
Been with the company for a couple years and gave them a good shot. Management at my store was beyond poor with how they looked after the place. Seem to be more focused on passing the time.. this can mean bullying other staff, making racist and sexist jokes or passing blame. Our store went through more staff than a main supermarket does. Truely awful place to work, the only thing that kept me there was it fitted around my schedule as a mother.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Management, pay.
good experience, friendly atmosphere, loads tasks to do in short time, stupid rules, not following any health and safety rules, perfect team, old equipment,
I don't know if it was just the store I worked in and the manager I had but this job - sales assistant - was absolutely terrible. The job when you apply is advertised to you like the best job ever, and I didn't even have an interview, I was just approached by the manager (whose staff turnover is outrageous) and told they had a contract for 12 hours, and as I was unemployed, I took it and wish I hadn't.

The only good parts of the job were the wages, the friends I made with ex-colleagues, and a fraction of customers. But that's it. As a student, I study full time and was expected to work as soon as I finished classes at 6pm and work til late. I worked 20+ hours in a weekend alone when I was only meant to work 10-12, and would easily finish 8pm-10pm most nights when I'd be put down for a 6pm finish. The manager locks the entrance so that staff cannot leave at their "finishing time", and I was made to finish other people's jobs as they would be sent home for no reason during the day.

If for some instance you could not attend work due to sickness or family bereavement, and especially in my case, being a student at university, you would be made to feel incredibly guilty even if it was out of your control.

Also, the manager would sometimes give you the day off, letting you know the night before via text, and then later you would find out they were actually using up your holiday days, to get around the hours model. Supervisors and Assistant Managers in my team were also made to work 12-14 hours with no days off and hardly any breaks, they would finish late around midnight/1am
 - more...
Pros
Pay is good but not worth it
Cons
Long hours, bad management, bad life/work balance
The staff and management here have an incredible sense of humour, but also great teamwork skills. There’s never a dull moment, as they’ll always have a task for you (which i loved). The management team really do treat you as an individual, not just someone helping them earn money. I had to leave due to personal circumstances, but I’d go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Management, Staff, Fast-Pace
Cons
Not the best pay
The job itself. Fine but management got me opening and closing all weekends. I never got any time to myself, not even a Sunday to recharge as I was always expected to work every single weekend without fail whilst management got the weekends mostly off. Supervisors are just the back end for anything that goes wrong regardless of how much effort and hours you sink in, you still get chopped and watched on CCTV like you were a shoplifter.
Pros
None apart from the lovely customers.
Cons
Everything.