Queen's University

Queen's University Employee Reviews

Queen's offers exceptional professional opportunities and benefits in an incredibly innovative and balanced environment.It is a beautiful campus to both study and work at; immersed within a city of Canada's richest history. Queen's is diverse and inclusive, it has global reach while being deeply committed to the Kingston community. Highly recommend Queen's for the professional and life opportunities.
Pros
Endless intellectual capital
Cons
Endless intellectual capital
Biggest issues are: disorganization, no communication, slow administration, no direction, lack of response, decentralized management structureI do not feel safe to be open with my coworkers and management about being a member of the LBGTQ+ community. The individual departments exploit part time employees by dangling the "carrot" in front of them with the vague possibility of full time employment.I do not recommend trying to work multiple part time positions. It negatively impacts your mental health. At the end of each day I'm so tired mentally and need time to recover to the point I don't feel I could NOT do any extra professional development. I'd change the hiring process, forcing the hiring managers actually talk with the coworkers of the potential employee and less emphasis of story time with the new hire. To me the hiring process is biased against those who have a oral and written learning disability, and/or introverts.
Pros
job security, benefits, pension
Cons
job advancement, horrible cost of living adjustment
.Translating to from Dr to patients More English practice and had good relationship with local doctorWorked hospital to every wardsMedical term is most difficultHaving dinner together
Pros
Have lunch a small restaurant by road side
Cons
Short break for coffee, but no health care
Relaxed fun competitive stressful just like any other job if you love your job you'll love the place you work...pay could be a little more or more fair but overall great job
I interned at Queen's University through the MITACS globalink programme. The laboratories are very nice with proper safety training given to newcomers and equipped with proper equipment. The research environment was very nice as well. If anyone selects a good project then he will enjoy here.
The employees are all lovely people who are friendly and welcoming but sometimes it's like management forgets you exist. It takes weeks for them to even send you the forms for your employee information, it was over a month before I received my first paycheck because no one sent me the financial forms until I was forced to track someone down. There's no clear idea who you report to. They don't provide on the job training, or even what exactly is expected of you. There is a severe lack of communication between management and employees.
Pros
Prestigious university, looks great on resume, independence, good schedule, great compensation
Cons
I have worked with many different departments within the University. Each one was so different from the last. But the skills and knowledge I have picked up through my time there was life changing. Most everyone was so nice and welcoming. Even though you were only on contract. They still treated you as part of the team.
Pros
5 Dollar Friday, Perks, Discounts, Lunches, Pay, Benefits, Pension, Equality, No Judgement
Cons
Parking
It was a really good teaching experience with groups of adults. The place is safe and the staff is lovely ans competent. We had all the necessary equipment available.
Being a part of all year social at queens university made my first-year experience all that much better. I was able to meet many other like-minded students and had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and attend events that I many not have otherwise.
Great culture and I really enjoyed my time working with everyone. The management is accepting. The opportunities are endless. I enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Best place ever! great people and so many opportunities to gain your experience especially in research. Many professors are kind enough to take you in as a research assistant and act as your mentor
I learned a lot from my professors and the Masters students I worked under. I appreciated the fact that I got to work with some of the best minds in the field I was to go into.
The Biology Department has a lot of capable researchers who are active in their fields. It's a great University with a lot of history to be a part of.
Working for Physical Plant Services has been a really rewarding experience over the last few years. If you put the work in, there is plenty of room for advancement within PPS and other departments C
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Pay
Plenty of scope for professional development. Highly collaborative workplace. Opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life. Supportive management.
I have nothing to review i only volunteered as a camp counsellor for 2 weeks during the summer of 2014, where I helped children with crafts and field trips, The work environment was extremely positive and fun to be in
People make 24 an hour grandfathered with full benefits and the new hires only make 15, 16 an hour working out to be 1700 a month. Casuals are told they will be hired full time, full benefits, free tuition. Don't believe those words, you'll make 200 a week waiting to double that . The awful feature is that you'll work harder than guys ditching their shift two hours in and get paid half of their pay. There is also not free tuition. The $24 an hour workers sleep on the job, leave four hours early in an 8 hour shift and never get consequences. The casuals and new workers are forced to carry their load. The pay is unacceptable for a workplace of Queen's stature.
Great place to work. Like any company, it's the employees that make the place a wonderful. Everyone is super nice and kind. Highly recommend working Here.
Challenging but extremely interesting opportunities to participate in PHD research being conducted in Queen's University. Wide range of disciplines to choose from, catering to a variety of student interests.
Pros
Great research experience
Cons
Great facilities, great work environment and excellent management staff. I would highly recommend this job to current students at Queen's as it is an excellent job to integrate into your professional experience and class schedule.
This workplace is very self directed. You are responsible for knowing what to do and when. Other responsibilities include maintaining communication with professors and students. The professors are always there to support you and assist with any inquiries or difficulties that are met along the way.
  1. Employee reviews