Queen's University

Queen's University Employee Reviews

I have worked with many different departments within the University. Each one was so different from the last. But the skills and knowledge I have picked up through my time there was life changing. Most everyone was so nice and welcoming. Even though you were only on contract. They still treated you as part of the team.
Pros
5 Dollar Friday, Perks, Discounts, Lunches, Pay, Benefits, Pension, Equality, No Judgement
Cons
Parking
The employees are all lovely people who are friendly and welcoming but sometimes it's like management forgets you exist. It takes weeks for them to even send you the forms for your employee information, it was over a month before I received my first paycheck because no one sent me the financial forms until I was forced to track someone down. There's no clear idea who you report to. They don't provide on the job training, or even what exactly is expected of you. There is a severe lack of communication between management and employees.
Pros
Prestigious university, looks great on resume, independence, good schedule, great compensation
Cons
disorganization, no communication, slow administration, no direction, lack of response, decentralized management structure
It was a really good teaching experience with groups of adults. The place is safe and the staff is lovely ans competent.
We had all the necessary equipment available.
Being a part of all year social at queens university made my first-year experience all that much better. I was able to meet many other like-minded students and had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and attend events that I many not have otherwise.
Great culture and I really enjoyed my time working with everyone. The management is accepting. The opportunities are endless. I enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Best place ever! great people and so many opportunities to gain your experience especially in research. Many professors are kind enough to take you in as a research assistant and act as your mentor
I learned a lot from my professors and the Masters students I worked under. I appreciated the fact that I got to work with some of the best minds in the field I was to go into.
The Biology Department has a lot of capable researchers who are active in their fields. It's a great University with a lot of history to be a part of.
Working for Physical Plant Services has been a really rewarding experience over the last few years. If you put the work in, there is plenty of room for advancement within PPS and other departments
C
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Pay
Plenty of scope for professional development.
Highly collaborative workplace.

Opportunity to interact with people from all walks of life.

Supportive management.
I have nothing to review i only volunteered as a camp counsellor for 2 weeks during the summer of 2014, where I helped children with crafts and field trips, The work environment was extremely positive and fun to be in
People make 24 an hour grandfathered with full benefits and the new hires only make 15, 16 an hour working out to be 1700 a month. Casuals are told they will be hired full time, full benefits, free tuition. Don't believe those words, you'll make 200 a week waiting to double that . The awful feature is that you'll work harder than guys ditching their shift two hours in and get paid half of their pay. There is also not free tuition.

The $24 an hour workers sleep on the job,

leave four hours early in an 8 hour shift and never get consequences. The casuals and new workers are forced to carry their load. The pay is unacceptable for a workplace of Queen's stature.
Great place to work. Like any company, it's the employees that make the place a wonderful. Everyone is super nice and kind. Highly recommend working Here.
Challenging but extremely interesting opportunities to participate in PHD research being conducted in Queen's University. Wide range of disciplines to choose from, catering to a variety of student interests.
Pros
Great research experience
Cons
Great facilities, great work environment and excellent management staff. I would highly recommend this job to current students at Queen's as it is an excellent job to integrate into your professional experience and class schedule.
This workplace is very self directed. You are responsible for knowing what to do and when. Other responsibilities include maintaining communication with professors and students. The professors are always there to support you and assist with any inquiries or difficulties that are met along the way.
- co-workers are generally excellent however teams are hindered by senior leadership
- decisions are frequently made based on who leadership “like” rather than who can do the job

- all of this leads to a stressful work environment where people worry about their future
Pros
Can get post secondary education benefits for family members
Cons
Expensive parking
Good atmosphere with friendly relationship between employees. You can dress whatever you like. Equipment are satisfactory. everything is good and I totally recommend it
Very collaborative and fun team to work with. Management leads accordingly and fosters a workplace culture that balanced hard work and a healthy level of fun.
A great employer, and managers in general were fun to work with. Job training was extensive and really prepared you for what to expect. Had an awesome experience.
Queen's is a great place to work, however, salaries are way below similar jobs in Belfast and Queen's overly rely on the strength of annual leave holidays and pension to justify paying less.