River Island Employee Reviews

Appalling Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin18 April 2018
Worked with River Island for just under 2 years.
Would not recommend this company to work for to anyone! Management is shocking, salary is ridiculously low and the way they treat their staff is appalling.
The only perk of the job would be the 40% discount but even at that, it is not worth it.
Moral is very low and staff turnover is extremely high as management could be quite the bullies!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything..
A Good Experience overall
Sales Assistant and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dublin28 March 2018
In the past two years i've worked for River Island, i have enjoyed my time there, i have been fully-trained in all areas including stockroom, tills, and the floor which includes footwear and fitting rooms. The work is rewarding as the customers are always really appreciative of the lengths our staff will go to give them the best customer service around. All in all, i've enjoyed working there and would recommend it to anyone starting out in retail.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Low salary
fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin21 February 2018
It was fun just the hours were not good and the pay was awful the hardest part of the job was the long hours for bad pay and the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and working with fashion.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad pay
Not impressed
Part time (Current Employee) –  County Dublin8 February 2018
The trainings are very poor to begin with. 4 hrs shift on minimum wage. Monthly pay and some staff is unlikely to be helpful in any way. Feeling more like security working there then making actual sales. You get to learn raital in most chaotic way.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Wages, 4 hr shifts
Great place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin30 January 2018
I found river iseland to be a great working environment. The girls I worked with wore amazing at welcoming new team members and lending a helping at at getting new members settled.
Pros
Discount
Fast paced and beneficial
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare17 January 2018
Excellent place to work, always kept busy and fantastic training provided. Gained a huge amount of experience and also was able to take on new challenges.
Fun workplace, great atmosphere and staff
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  County Kildare13 January 2018
Great training provided, managers were very friendly and helpful.
Fellow staff were all great team workers, helped eachother with tasks, etc.

Only downside of the job is the pay.
Assistant manager fashion retail
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin city10 January 2018
Great store and company to work for. Fun enviroment l, fast moving and up to date with new fashion. At the time i found there development structure was still in need of development.
Pros
75% of uniform
Cons
Shift work
ambiente lavorativo stimolante
manager marketing (Former Employee) –  dublino, irlanda18 December 2017
Un ambiente lavorativo che premia il lavoratore, tira fuori il meglio
Pros
trattamento personale ed economico
Not a great place to work in
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny28 November 2017
The managers aren't very patient overall, they do not train you very well in the things you're not familiar with. They do very short contracts and get rid of whoever they want whenever they want. All about security instead of sales, you end up feeling like you're there as a security guard rather than a sales adviser. Not enjoyable and no job satisfaction. Not enough hours.
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlow19 November 2017
Great place to work give me great experince in excellent customer service..merchandising and was delighted to be part of one of the best high street stores.
Pros
Great discount
Great learning experience in a great environment
Stock Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin City Centre9 November 2017
River Island was a great experience for me, I really enjoyed myself there. I thought all of the staff were very kind and I made new friends amongst them. This experience helped me mature and get a taste of what it’s like in a quick paced environment and understanding the importance of a good working team to keep a business functioning! It also gave me an insight of a managers job in real life other than just studying throughout my business studies, which was very interesting!
Pros
Great Staff, good team work, good communication, well organised stock room and a great shop
Cons
Wages were monthly, Elevator wasn’t working at the time so stock had to be manually lifted up and down a lot of stairs.
Great team of managers. Staff often taken for granted by company
Sales Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  County Dublin19 August 2017
A day in River Island is very fast paced and there's always a tremendous amount of work to be done which gives you a sense of accomplishment when the day ends. However as an employee it is easy to feel unheard/ unappreciated by the company.
The staff are paid just the bare minimum no matter how long the length of service wether they just started or are with the company 10+ years, which is very demotivating considering other retailers start on higher than minimum wage and increase with length of service. There is also very little difference in pay between a supervisor, that performs mostly managerial duties beyond their job profile, and a staff member.
Pros
40% staff discount
Cons
Non existent pay structure
Fun workplace, but no scope for creativity or career advancement.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth1 August 2017
River Island is an easy place to work, however the pay is poor and does not increase the longer you are there, which discourages loyalty or a motive to stay there. Staff are also paid monthly which is a major inconvenience.
Staff asked to show contents of their bag on arrival and departure of each shift. Staff searches regularly carried out in which must empty bags, pockets, take off shoes, jacket etc.also can be asked to produce the receipt for any River Island item you are wearing and failure to do so will result in a staff investigation which as an employer I feel is very invasive.
Pros
discount
Cons
4 hour shifts, poor wage, bag and staff searches
My first step into retail
Admin Manager (Former Employee) –  Cork14 June 2017
I worked in the Store in cork part time in Admin, From there i gained the knowldedge of how the business in run. The team were great and it was a fun place to work,
Pros
team, introduction to retail
Cons
part time hours.
Friendly but hectic environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 June 2017
A typical day at work was a four hour shift, which can be an inconvenience. I'd rather work a full day. I learned so much in terms of handling customers, mulitasking etc. It was a friendly environment, but the place I was in wasquite clicky.
Pros
quick shifts
Cons
inconvenient hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick (Crescent)29 May 2017
Nice environment
Friendly People
Good Communication skills needed
Low hour contracts
Jobs include: putting back rejects, 'click and Collect', refilling stock rooms etc.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Really bad place to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin14 May 2017
Everyone that I worked with is leaving or is leaving even me over poor respect and low pay they need to start paying more and been nice I hate working in River Island
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor respect
Great place to work, would defiantly work here again
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  County Louth12 May 2017
Hours flew by, customers were generally friendly. the manager was amazing. Hardest art about this job was leaving after 2 years. The most enjoyable part of this job was dressing the mannequins
Verry boring work, verry little to be doing
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athlone, County Westmeath11 May 2017
Didnt ever have much to do was always a "look busy" act day in and day out. Verry bad pay if you are under 18. Never give any extra hours to someone eager to make extra money.
Pros
Store discount.
Cons
Not enough hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.