River Island
River Island Employee Review

Terrible salary for a high-demand, understaffed job.

27 August 2015
The only perk about working at River Island is the staff uniform and staff discount. Otherwise, the store is understaffed which leads to poorly/under trained staff with little knowledge of the store dynamic. There is no fluidity when dealing with customers as once in your station you aren't allowed leave, the radios and scanners either do not work or function very poorly, none of the managers work alike and often blame new people for mistakes that were made long before they began to work there.

A typical day of work involves restless anxiety and high-pressure situations without aid. The hardest part of the job is going through the doors at the start of my shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the day.

Above all, however, I am mortified at the fact that I do not get paid minimum wage. (or over-time for that matter!) I'm afraid to approach a manager about it considering I don't want to be fired before I find a replacement job, but it is absolute madness that River Island has found a loophole in the law where I am only being paid 7.79 eur per hour. Upon asking fellow employees I was told different things: one was that because I am under 20 I get paid less. Another was that River Island, unlike most other companies, need not pay their employees minimum wage if they haven't worked 2 years minimum in retail.

Regardless, I cannot continue to work in a place that gives me paranoia and anxiety where there is no support system for people who start off. I have been working here 6 weeks and I have only been shown how to use the till once!
 - more...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poorly managed
8 July 2020
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) - Newbridge, County Kildare
River Island is a good company to work for especially if you are a student.
Great for working as a team. Benefits to working with River Island is great for helping sales confide
Cons
Wages need to be improved
3 January 2020
Sales assistant (Former Employee) - Dundalk, County Louth
terrible place to work dreaded every single second of it , couldnt wait to get home once i went in, management is a joke and half of the dont even know howto fold a t shirt
6 December 2019
Same role
Liffey Valley - Sales assistant (Former Employee) - Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, County Dublin
Bad management, managers were rude and disrespectful. Toxic work environment, extremely judgmental. No training received which therefore resulted in unachievable expectations set on workers.