River Island

River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 36 reviews matching the search See all 1,504 reviews
dump
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth3 January 2020
terrible place to work dreaded every single second of it , couldnt wait to get home once i went in, management is a joke and half of the dont even know howto fold a t shirt
Not good
Liffey Valley - Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, County Dublin6 December 2019
Bad management, managers were rude and disrespectful. Toxic work environment, extremely judgmental. No training received which therefore resulted in unachievable expectations set on workers.
I enjoyed working in River Island. I made lifetime friends and I hope to work their again
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 November 2019
The management was really friendly. They helped when you had problems with your hours and etc. I enjoyed working at River Island and it brought new accomplishments in my life.
Loved it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterford, UK15 September 2019
Great place to work management were fair and always heard what you had to say. The discount was amazing but unfortunately the pay is very unfair for anyone under the age of 20.
Enjoyable working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlow Town, County Carlow2 January 2019
Short working hours but at very sociable times. Ideal for having a balanced lifestyle. Enjoyable work and pleasant work colleagues. Learned a lot about customer service .
Pros
Pleasant workplace
Cons
short four hour shifts
Short shifts
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbridge, County Kildare19 November 2018
I didn't stay here long because I was offered 16 hours a week and I was working 8 or less hours a week.
Management was decent other staff were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Fell short on hours
Hostile work environment
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Dundrum3 September 2018
The typical working day was very boring and slow paced as so much staff on the floor so few jobs per person. Managers were not friendly or encouraging.
Life revolves around work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Letterkenny, County Donegal6 July 2018
Rota comes out 2/3 days in advance - impossible to plan your life around work
Never two days off together so constant feeling of always working
Managment team not supportive at all - speak to staff like they don’t matter
Only get minimum wage if your over 20 - no increase in wage after length of service
Hard to work with managment to have holidays approved
Stupid returns policies that leave customers being horrible to you

Wouldn’t recommend unless working 1 - 2 days a week - not an ideal full time place to work
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Everything else
Busy environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swords, County Dublin5 July 2018
Good commission and nice workers. Really builds your interacting and customer service skills and gives you the ability to be able to close deals. They never hoarded you with work and were always there to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Cons
Expected too much from employees and were never appreciative of effort
Fun work place good people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crescent shopping center Limerick9 May 2018
I like working in River Island. Good people to work with. They are very helpful with hours from college and if i have anything on they have no problem in helping
Pros
short hours
Cons
not many hours
Lovely people, not good pay and not enough hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  County Dublin25 April 2018
At River Island, I learned many important skills. I learnt valuable customer service skills. Unfortunately, the money is not great and due to this staff turnover is high. Fantastic work colleagues and great discount.
Appalling Workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin18 April 2018
Worked with River Island for just under 2 years.
Would not recommend this company to work for to anyone! Management is shocking, salary is ridiculously low and the way they treat their staff is appalling.
The only perk of the job would be the 40% discount but even at that, it is not worth it.
Moral is very low and staff turnover is extremely high as management could be quite the bullies!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything..
Good for part time work
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ireland10 April 2018
Good people to work with and discount was a plus. The company do expect a lot considering they are paying minimum wage. I found it a good place to work while I was in college.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Minimum wage
fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin21 February 2018
It was fun just the hours were not good and the pay was awful the hardest part of the job was the long hours for bad pay and the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and working with fashion.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad pay
Great place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin30 January 2018
I found river iseland to be a great working environment. The girls I worked with wore amazing at welcoming new team members and lending a helping at at getting new members settled.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not a great place to work in
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kilkenny28 November 2017
The managers aren't very patient overall, they do not train you very well in the things you're not familiar with. They do very short contracts and get rid of whoever they want whenever they want. All about security instead of sales, you end up feeling like you're there as a security guard rather than a sales adviser. Not enjoyable and no job satisfaction. Not enough hours.
Fun workplace, but no scope for creativity or career advancement.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundalk, County Louth1 August 2017
River Island is an easy place to work, however the pay is poor and does not increase the longer you are there, which discourages loyalty or a motive to stay there. Staff are also paid monthly which is a major inconvenience.
Staff asked to show contents of their bag on arrival and departure of each shift. Staff searches regularly carried out in which must empty bags, pockets, take off shoes, jacket etc.also can be asked to produce the receipt for any River Island item you are wearing and failure to do so will result in a staff investigation which as an employer I feel is very invasive.
Pros
discount
Cons
4 hour shifts, poor wage, bag and staff searches
Friendly but hectic environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin9 June 2017
A typical day at work was a four hour shift, which can be an inconvenience. I'd rather work a full day. I learned so much in terms of handling customers, mulitasking etc. It was a friendly environment, but the place I was in wasquite clicky.
Pros
quick shifts
Cons
inconvenient hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limerick (Crescent)29 May 2017
Nice environment
Friendly People
Good Communication skills needed
Low hour contracts
Jobs include: putting back rejects, 'click and Collect', refilling stock rooms etc.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Really bad place to work for
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin14 May 2017
Everyone that I worked with is leaving or is leaving even me over poor respect and low pay they need to start paying more and been nice I hate working in River Island
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at River Island. Our community is ready to answer.