River Island

River Island Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant36 reviews
Ireland36 reviews
Working is river island was what i expected of a retail position. Staff were kind and managers/ suprvisors were helpful. Wasnt the best retail position that i worked in.
terrible place to work dreaded every single second of it , couldnt wait to get home once i went in, management is a joke and half of the dont even know howto fold a t shirt
Bad management, managers were rude and disrespectful. Toxic work environment, extremely judgmental. No training received which therefore resulted in unachievable expectations set on workers.
The management was really friendly. They helped when you had problems with your hours and etc. I enjoyed working at River Island and it brought new accomplishments in my life.
Great place to work management were fair and always heard what you had to say. The discount was amazing but unfortunately the pay is very unfair for anyone under the age of 20.
Short working hours but at very sociable times. Ideal for having a balanced lifestyle. Enjoyable work and pleasant work colleagues. Learned a lot about customer service .
Pros
Pleasant workplace
Cons
short four hour shifts
I didn't stay here long because I was offered 16 hours a week and I was working 8 or less hours a week.
Management was decent other staff were friendly and helpful.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Fell short on hours
The typical working day was very boring and slow paced as so much staff on the floor so few jobs per person. Managers were not friendly or encouraging.
Rota comes out 2/3 days in advance - impossible to plan your life around work
Never two days off together so constant feeling of always working

Managment team not supportive at all - speak to staff like they don’t matter

Only get minimum wage if your over 20 - no increase in wage after length of service

Hard to work with managment to have holidays approved

Stupid returns policies that leave customers being horrible to you

Wouldn’t recommend unless working 1 - 2 days a week - not an ideal full time place to work
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Everything else
Good commission and nice workers. Really builds your interacting and customer service skills and gives you the ability to be able to close deals. They never hoarded you with work and were always there to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Cons
Expected too much from employees and were never appreciative of effort
I like working in River Island. Good people to work with. They are very helpful with hours from college and if i have anything on they have no problem in helping
Pros
short hours
Cons
not many hours
At River Island, I learned many important skills. I learnt valuable customer service skills. Unfortunately, the money is not great and due to this staff turnover is high. Fantastic work colleagues and great discount.
Worked with River Island for just under 2 years.
Would not recommend this company to work for to anyone! Management is shocking, salary is ridiculously low and the way they treat their staff is appalling.

The only perk of the job would be the 40% discount but even at that, it is not worth it.

Moral is very low and staff turnover is extremely high as management could be quite the bullies!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything..
Good people to work with and discount was a plus. The company do expect a lot considering they are paying minimum wage. I found it a good place to work while I was in college.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Minimum wage
It was fun just the hours were not good and the pay was awful the hardest part of the job was the long hours for bad pay and the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and working with fashion.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad pay
I found river iseland to be a great working environment. The girls I worked with wore amazing at welcoming new team members and lending a helping at at getting new members settled.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The managers aren't very patient overall, they do not train you very well in the things you're not familiar with. They do very short contracts and get rid of whoever they want whenever they want. All about security instead of sales, you end up feeling like you're there as a security guard rather than a sales adviser. Not enjoyable and no job satisfaction. Not enough hours.
River Island is an easy place to work, however the pay is poor and does not increase the longer you are there, which discourages loyalty or a motive to stay there. Staff are also paid monthly which is a major inconvenience.
Staff asked to show contents of their bag on arrival and departure of each shift. Staff searches regularly carried out in which must empty bags, pockets, take off shoes, jacket etc.also can be asked to produce the receipt for any River Island item you are wearing and failure to do so will result in a staff investigation which as an employer I feel is very invasive.
Pros
discount
Cons
4 hour shifts, poor wage, bag and staff searches
A typical day at work was a four hour shift, which can be an inconvenience. I'd rather work a full day. I learned so much in terms of handling customers, mulitasking etc. It was a friendly environment, but the place I was in wasquite clicky.
Pros
quick shifts
Cons
inconvenient hours
Nice environment
Friendly People

Good Communication skills needed

Low hour contracts

Jobs include: putting back rejects, 'click and Collect', refilling stock rooms etc.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Everyone that I worked with is leaving or is leaving even me over poor respect and low pay they need to start paying more and been nice I hate working in River Island
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor respect