River Island

River Island Employee Reviews for Stocking Associate

Stocking Associate4 reviews
Ireland4 reviews
River Island was a great experience for me, I really enjoyed myself there. I thought all of the staff were very kind and I made new friends amongst them. This experience helped me mature and get a taste of what it’s like in a quick paced environment and understanding the importance of a good working team to keep a business functioning! It also gave me an insight of a managers job in real life other than just studying throughout my business studies, which was very interesting!
Pros
Great Staff, good team work, good communication, well organised stock room and a great shop
Cons
Wages were monthly, Elevator wasn’t working at the time so stock had to be manually lifted up and down a lot of stairs.
Hours flew by, customers were generally friendly. the manager was amazing. Hardest art about this job was leaving after 2 years. The most enjoyable part of this job was dressing the mannequins
I was apart of the stockroom staff as well as the floor staff these were both different jobs as stockroom was all about been neat and tidy and the floor staff was all about been co-opertive and confident to talk to customers and dealing with customers 24/7
Pros
discount to staff members
Cons
bad pay
Working in River Island is an unique experience. I worked in Operations. This primarily revolved around stockroom work such as processing deliveries, stock replenishment etc. It also included a far broader range of tasks from building storage systems to training seasonal staff. While, not an intellectual challenge in any real sense, I did learn how a high street fashion retailer operates. I also learned the importance of teamwork and initiative as integral sides of the same coin. Management is highly modulated so store managers have to follow directives as laid out by head office. That being said the management team on the whole aimed to created a constructive and supportive environment, in which the entire team cooperated to get goals accomplished. There would be two broad types of coworkers, those who are full time in the fashion industry and want to have careers or have happened to find careers in retail. Then there are students who view retail work in the fashion industry as a means to an end. The hardest part of the job was time targets to be met, which on occasion would exceed the ability of the team and as such would have to be rethought by head office. The best part of the job for me was achieving goals that had been set. Not that there was much in the way of bonuses, but nevertheless I felt that if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well.
Pros
30% staff discount.
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement.