River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Ireland94 reviews
Worked in River Island part-time during College and really enjoyed myself. Would recommend to anyone looking for part-time work with great social aspects.
The most hours you would get on a sunday would be three hours. The staff are great you make great friends, hardest part of job was requesting time off
Pros
staffe
Cons
short hours
The typical working day was very boring and slow paced as so much staff on the floor so few jobs per person. Managers were not friendly or encouraging.
I have had many bad job experiences but River Island is certainly not one of them.

One of the most caring companies with a very positive attitude. I would highly recommend anyone to work with them, I would go back in a heartbeat.

The typical day of work is fast paced but not stressful in any way, it's almost fun in a way.

The hardest part of the job was the unpacking of the Christmas delivery but what job has an easy Christmas.

The most enjoyable part of the job is certainly working with the people employed there. I have had such a positive friendly bunch of co-workers in any other job.
Pros
Location.
very little hours
staff and management were very friendly and always provided great customer care service to their customers.

contracts were very small would of been better to get a slightly bigger contract
great discounts
great employees

hours are okay

customers are nice and kind

the most enjoyable part of being sales assistant is definitely helping customers to find the right outfit for them and seeing them leaving the store with a smile on their face
Rota comes out 2/3 days in advance - impossible to plan your life around work
Never two days off together so constant feeling of always working

Managment team not supportive at all - speak to staff like they don’t matter

Only get minimum wage if your over 20 - no increase in wage after length of service

Hard to work with managment to have holidays approved

Stupid returns policies that leave customers being horrible to you

Wouldn’t recommend unless working 1 - 2 days a week - not an ideal full time place to work
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Everything else
Good commission and nice workers. Really builds your interacting and customer service skills and gives you the ability to be able to close deals. They never hoarded you with work and were always there to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Cons
Expected too much from employees and were never appreciative of effort
It's an ok job however if you aim to save or progress, don't bother. The company pays terribly for a LOT of responsibility and what's expected of management and general staff compared to other retailers is just a joke for what they're all paid.
Pros
The discount, the people working there, 4 weeks holiday
Cons
Shift pattern can be all over the place if youre a manager, long nights and delivery shifts as well as weekends, Hard to work youre way up as thr company dont really pay well at all, No maternity/paternity leave, minimum sick pay.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at River Island?
A typical day is usually extremely busy and never the same.
Continuous learning and upskilling keeps the team motivated and driven.

Excellent in line management and support through senior management and also between stores.

Enjoyable workplace culture as team are all very hands on and hardworking.

Hardest part of the job is the ever changing team and trying to retain staff.
Pros
staff discount
At work i focus mainly on stock replenishment which involves taking certain stock from the stock room and bringing it out onto the floor as items on the floor are purchased. We also restock the stock room when a delivery comes in. We work in a team environment and the staff are friendly and welcoming. the hardest part of the job is getting used to the stock room as it is a vast area, and so it takes time to learn where everything is held. Management is usually helpful as well.
Cons
Not enough hours on offer
After working with the company for 12 years I have seen the culture change. It can be a very high pressured role with tight work dead lines due to lace of team members and managements refusal to recruit but still expect high standards and quick turn around.
Pros
clothing discount- even that is limited so could be better
Cons
high pressure - expectations can be unrealistic within time frame
I really enjoyed working here it was a great experience and I got many opportunities to learn and improve my skill set. Typical day at work included helping customers and ensuring that the store was tidy.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Salary
I like working in River Island. Good people to work with. They are very helpful with hours from college and if i have anything on they have no problem in helping
Pros
short hours
Cons
not many hours
At River Island, I learned many important skills. I learnt valuable customer service skills. Unfortunately, the money is not great and due to this staff turnover is high. Fantastic work colleagues and great discount.
Worked with River Island for just under 2 years.
Would not recommend this company to work for to anyone! Management is shocking, salary is ridiculously low and the way they treat their staff is appalling.

The only perk of the job would be the 40% discount but even at that, it is not worth it.

Moral is very low and staff turnover is extremely high as management could be quite the bullies!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything..
Good people to work with and discount was a plus. The company do expect a lot considering they are paying minimum wage. I found it a good place to work while I was in college.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Minimum wage
In the past two years i've worked for River Island, i have enjoyed my time there, i have been fully-trained in all areas including stockroom, tills, and the floor which includes footwear and fitting rooms. The work is rewarding as the customers are always really appreciative of the lengths our staff will go to give them the best customer service around. All in all, i've enjoyed working there and would recommend it to anyone starting out in retail.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Low salary
It was fun just the hours were not good and the pay was awful the hardest part of the job was the long hours for bad pay and the most enjoyable part was the people i worked with and working with fashion.
Pros
Cons
long hours bad pay
The trainings are very poor to begin with. 4 hrs shift on minimum wage. Monthly pay and some staff is unlikely to be helpful in any way. Feeling more like security working there then making actual sales. You get to learn raital in most chaotic way.
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
Wages, 4 hr shifts
I found river iseland to be a great working environment. The girls I worked with wore amazing at welcoming new team members and lending a helping at at getting new members settled.
Pros
Discount