River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Ireland94 reviews
Worked in River Island part-time during College and really enjoyed myself. Would recommend to anyone looking for part-time work with great social aspects.
Excellent place to work, always kept busy and fantastic training provided. Gained a huge amount of experience and also was able to take on new challenges.
Great training provided, managers were very friendly and helpful.
Fellow staff were all great team workers, helped eachother with tasks, etc.

Only downside of the job is the pay.
Great store and company to work for. Fun enviroment l, fast moving and up to date with new fashion. At the time i found there development structure was still in need of development.
Pros
75% of uniform
Cons
Shift work
Un ambiente lavorativo che premia il lavoratore, tira fuori il meglio
Pros
trattamento personale ed economico
The managers aren't very patient overall, they do not train you very well in the things you're not familiar with. They do very short contracts and get rid of whoever they want whenever they want. All about security instead of sales, you end up feeling like you're there as a security guard rather than a sales adviser. Not enjoyable and no job satisfaction. Not enough hours.
Great place to work give me great experince in excellent customer service..merchandising and was delighted to be part of one of the best high street stores.
Pros
Great discount
River Island was a great experience for me, I really enjoyed myself there. I thought all of the staff were very kind and I made new friends amongst them. This experience helped me mature and get a taste of what it’s like in a quick paced environment and understanding the importance of a good working team to keep a business functioning! It also gave me an insight of a managers job in real life other than just studying throughout my business studies, which was very interesting!
Pros
Great Staff, good team work, good communication, well organised stock room and a great shop
Cons
Wages were monthly, Elevator wasn’t working at the time so stock had to be manually lifted up and down a lot of stairs.
A day in River Island is very fast paced and there's always a tremendous amount of work to be done which gives you a sense of accomplishment when the day ends. However as an employee it is easy to feel unheard/ unappreciated by the company.
The staff are paid just the bare minimum no matter how long the length of service wether they just started or are with the company 10+ years, which is very demotivating considering other retailers start on higher than minimum wage and increase with length of service. There is also very little difference in pay between a supervisor, that performs mostly managerial duties beyond their job profile, and a staff member.
Pros
40% staff discount
Cons
Non existent pay structure
River Island is an easy place to work, however the pay is poor and does not increase the longer you are there, which discourages loyalty or a motive to stay there. Staff are also paid monthly which is a major inconvenience.
Staff asked to show contents of their bag on arrival and departure of each shift. Staff searches regularly carried out in which must empty bags, pockets, take off shoes, jacket etc.also can be asked to produce the receipt for any River Island item you are wearing and failure to do so will result in a staff investigation which as an employer I feel is very invasive.
Pros
discount
Cons
4 hour shifts, poor wage, bag and staff searches
I worked in the Store in cork part time in Admin, From there i gained the knowldedge of how the business in run. The team were great and it was a fun place to work,
Pros
team, introduction to retail
Cons
part time hours.
A typical day at work was a four hour shift, which can be an inconvenience. I'd rather work a full day. I learned so much in terms of handling customers, mulitasking etc. It was a friendly environment, but the place I was in wasquite clicky.
Pros
quick shifts
Cons
inconvenient hours
Nice environment
Friendly People

Good Communication skills needed

Low hour contracts

Jobs include: putting back rejects, 'click and Collect', refilling stock rooms etc.
Pros
short hours
Cons
no lunch breaks
Everyone that I worked with is leaving or is leaving even me over poor respect and low pay they need to start paying more and been nice I hate working in River Island
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Poor respect
Hours flew by, customers were generally friendly. the manager was amazing. Hardest art about this job was leaving after 2 years. The most enjoyable part of this job was dressing the mannequins
Didnt ever have much to do was always a "look busy" act day in and day out. Verry bad pay if you are under 18. Never give any extra hours to someone eager to make extra money.
Pros
Store discount.
Cons
Not enough hours.
good place to work good to work. always nice staff. always. lovely plavce. good money good staff. great staff. the best staff. easily the best staff. oohp
Fantastic company to work fo my time here for christmas and I really liked it unfortunatly it was just for christmas of 2015 and I hope to one day work for river island again.
Difficult to progress, mostly linear progression. Negative hierarchy, massive staff turnover and poor salary . Weak policies, training and very little work life balance.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Long hours very little recognition
River island is a very fun, young and energetic workplace. Great atmosphere and friendly environment.
Management salary is poor for work expected.

Good job satisfaction.
Pros
Uniform and staff discount
Cons
Poor salary for the work involved
Very little opportunity for job advancement. You will learn a great amount of customer service but this is the only upside to this job. Very little IMPORTANT tasks to be done.
Pros
Good customers, Flexibility in hours
Cons
Bad customers