River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Found 89 reviews matching the search See all 1,504 reviews
Fun, great people to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cork25 April 2016
Great bunch of people to work with always. Work load is manageable and there's always something new everyday. Benefits are good and the hours aren't bad.
Pros
employee discount is fab
Cons
n/a
Fantastic place to work!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kilkenny, Ireland11 April 2016
A standard day is full of different scenarios with customers may it be at the till, on the floor, over the phone or an issue with an online order. The team itself is very connected and we all help one another to ensure that the shop floor stays safe from shoplifters and that every customer is seen to promptly.
fun workplace and productive, very busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin11 April 2016
river island is one of the best companys to work for, i had a christmas temporary contract with them and i enjoyed every minute working there. The people are so nice and friendly and everyone respects each other. I would definetely recommend these as they're such a big and popular company and everyone shops here i would love to work for them again.
Productive and Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blanchardstown, County Dublin3 April 2016
Learned to have more confidence in myself my approaching customers and helping people I had never met before made it easier to talk to people I have never met before.
Nice Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liffey Valley Centre, County Dublin3 March 2016
I would go in when my shift started and we would have a team huddle and I would be allocated were I was working for the day.

I normally worked in the girls changing rooms. I worked with river Island for the Christmas period, I found the hardest part about this job was trying to keep track of everyone coming in to the changing rooms and customers coming out, as you can imagine at Christmas time counting how many garments they had going in and bringing them to one of the dressing rooms and then you had to make sure they had the same coming out, I found it hard to be at two places at the same time,

The thing I liked about the job was probably the friends I started with and made through out my time there.
Fast pace, upbeaat store.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D21 January 2016
I found my time at river island very enjoyable. It was a bus journey away from my home therefore very easy to get to if I was called in for overtime. I was always kept busy on the tills, in a footwear department, in the fitting rooms or on the floor. My co-workers were very friendly and soon became friends we worked very well in a group together.
Pros
Friendly helpful staff.
___
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cork, C16 January 2016
Loved working here, would gladly go back at anytime. Very understanding as I was not in retail before here. Very thorough also.
Pros
Loved The Clothes
Cons
Professional, customers focused and good place to work
Sale assistant (Current Employee) –  Dublin, D26 November 2015
the company is multicultural and is really aware of the work and the investment we give to our job and into the satisfaction of customer
Pros
good advantages
Cons
short shift
Normal Day
Stockroom/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D12 November 2015
I was apart of the stockroom staff as well as the floor staff these were both different jobs as stockroom was all about been neat and tidy and the floor staff was all about been co-opertive and confident to talk to customers and dealing with customers 24/7
Pros
discount to staff members
Cons
bad pay
Productive and Challenging workplace
Women's Product Manager/ Step up Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Arklow, WW29 September 2015
I thoroughly enjoy working for River Island but am looking for new challenges and opportunities. Enjoy working with my team and colleagues and feel I have learnt an endless amount about retail while here.
Pros
Discount and uniform benefit
Cons
salary
Fun place to work if your into fashion
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D17 September 2015
Get to see all the latest trends, great staff discount on clothes and work wear. Meeting and greeting all different types of people.

Given opportunities to progress to the next level.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
On your feet all day long
Terrible salary for a high-demand, understaffed job.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  High Street27 August 2015
The only perk about working at River Island is the staff uniform and staff discount. Otherwise, the store is understaffed which leads to poorly/under trained staff with little knowledge of the store dynamic. There is no fluidity when dealing with customers as once in your station you aren't allowed leave, the radios and scanners either do not work or function very poorly, none of the managers work alike and often blame new people for mistakes that were made long before they began to work there.

A typical day of work involves restless anxiety and high-pressure situations without aid. The hardest part of the job is going through the doors at the start of my shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the day.

Above all, however, I am mortified at the fact that I do not get paid minimum wage. (or over-time for that matter!) I'm afraid to approach a manager about it considering I don't want to be fired before I find a replacement job, but it is absolute madness that River Island has found a loophole in the law where I am only being paid 7.79 eur per hour. Upon asking fellow employees I was told different things: one was that because I am under 20 I get paid less. Another was that River Island, unlike most other companies, need not pay their employees minimum wage if they haven't worked 2 years minimum in retail.

Regardless, I cannot continue to work in a place that gives me paranoia and anxiety where there is no support system for people who start off. I have been working here 6 weeks and I have only been shown how to use the till once!
  more...

I would not recommend working here at all. Ever.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poorly managed
Productive with good benifits
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clonmel, TA12 June 2015
Always something to do.
Teaches good leadership qualities and skills to keep you on the top of your game.
Very organised.
Managed well.
Focus on teaching skills
Pros
Staff discount and uniform allowance
Cons
Not as many hours as one would like
workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  athlone6 October 2014
it's a fashion company in the fashion industry .working there as given me more insight into the fashion world.
Fast paced fun environment
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Mahon Point, Cork24 September 2014
Typically upon commencement of your shift you check in with the manager and they will deploy you to whichever zone you will be working in. They will advise you of any tasks that need completing, your lunch/break time and if there will be anyone to cover you as well as expected targets for womens/mens/kids and daily focuses such as promotions available to customers that day on the web.
Once in your zone it is your responsability to acknowledge and great customers, offer assisstance, find sizes/products, or offer alternatives if the product cannot be found. Also you will be expected to upsell, ie, sell more items, a shoe if they're buying a dress, a tie if they're buying a shirt, etc. Cross-selling is also expected, whereby you will entice a customer to purchase something from another department, such as mens or kids, and you will be expected to inform customers about the availability of gift cards, store order and buying from the website as well as any relevant promotions you may know of.

The management I work with are fair, understanding and very helpful, and the staff are friendly and reliable.

The hardest part of the job varies day to day. Sometimes it can be gruelling to keep the sales floor tidy and shopable other times it can be dealing with a difficult customer and still having them leaving feeling valued and satisfied confident in the knowledge that you went above and beyond for them and that they will return again.

The most enjoyable part is when you have helped someone exactly what they were looking for and they leave feeling content and valued.
Pros
Staff discount of 30%, free clothes allowence
Cons
Not enough hours, promises of progression but to no result, minimum wage
it was quite a Popular place and this in turn ensure there was always a friendly atmosphere.
Salevs Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D21 August 2014
i enjoyed the people and the place, although the tasks i felt were hindering on my abilities. This led me to the realization, that clothing retail is not the industry i want to move forward in. At times i felt like i could be doing more and felt like i wanted to be doing more. I found it pretty easy in total although easy isn't what i'm looking for.
Pros
city centre location
Cons
very little hours, slightly demeaning.
productive and fun place to work
assisting customers and merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dublin4 July 2014
Great environment to work in. Loved all the clothes and worked with a great team of people
Pros
Discount
fun and engaging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D8 June 2014
Great place to work in if your willing to work hard and use your intelligence.
For example I was a till operative , but notching the floor was short on staff, I stepped in and worked as shoe salesmen and till operative.
Pros
Chance of advancement to other positions
Cons
Part time wages are given at the end of the month.
Fun workplace, great atmosphere.
General Operative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D229 May 2014
A typical day at work was stock control and stock replenishment. I learned a great knowledge of the stockroom. Management were very friendly and helpful. Co-workers were very helpful and outgoing and worked well as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat of the stockroom. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Knowledge of the stockroom.
Cons
The heat of the stockroom.
Great atmosphere and excellent work place
Sales adviser (Former Employee) –  Dublin, D24 March 2014
A typical day at work was very enjoyable and easy to do. I learned alot of life tips that i still work by to this day. The co-workers are wonderful people and really give a helping hand when needed. The hardest part of the job is the long hours but very doable without any stress. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything, Getting on with the staff, getting on with the customers, Getting compliments off the customers to the managers, The whole atmosphere was always very lively and was always a pleasure to work there.