River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

Ireland94 reviews
Worked in River Island part-time during College and really enjoyed myself. Would recommend to anyone looking for part-time work with great social aspects.
This was my first experience with working in the retail industry. I started to develop my love of fashion wich enabed me to easily communicate with customers. We were advised to offer excellent customer service and received a lot of training in this aspect.
Pros
Gave me great cusomer service experience
Poor training, never received full training a constantly being given out to by a particular manager on stuff I was not trained on.
Certain manager was rude, didn't take time to learn my name, would refuse to help and pick on me for anything he could find.

Extremely poor management.
Pros
Handy shifts
Cons
Everything Else
Al principio me costó mucho por no hablas el idioma bien,pero me ayudaron en todo y no tengo nada ni regular que decir de esta tienda.
Pros
Ninguno.
Cons
Ninguno.
It was very easy to get work done in RiverIsland, I really enjoyed my time there.

I was not very fond of the monthly pay but I couldn't complain about it, a job is a job and i was happy I had it

A typical day working there would be quite calm and relaxed, giving you finished what need to be done, Most customers were very lovely and friendly towards the staff, although there would be the odd few that were not so nice,
Pros
Discounts and good work hours
Cons
Monthly pay and rude customers
working on the women's floor was fine as there was always plenty to be doing. The men's floor however, especially on weekdays was inanely boring as there are few customers and you're the only staff member on the floor.
Pros
Discount and uniform allowance
Cons
short shifts, difficulty securing time off
Great bunch of people to work with always. Work load is manageable and there's always something new everyday. Benefits are good and the hours aren't bad.
Pros
employee discount is fab
Cons
n/a
A standard day is full of different scenarios with customers may it be at the till, on the floor, over the phone or an issue with an online order. The team itself is very connected and we all help one another to ensure that the shop floor stays safe from shoplifters and that every customer is seen to promptly.
river island is one of the best companys to work for, i had a christmas temporary contract with them and i enjoyed every minute working there. The people are so nice and friendly and everyone respects each other. I would definetely recommend these as they're such a big and popular company and everyone shops here i would love to work for them again.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at River Island?
Learned to have more confidence in myself my approaching customers and helping people I had never met before made it easier to talk to people I have never met before.
I would go in when my shift started and we would have a team huddle and I would be allocated were I was working for the day.

I normally worked in the girls changing rooms. I worked with river Island for the Christmas period, I found the hardest part about this job was trying to keep track of everyone coming in to the changing rooms and customers coming out, as you can imagine at Christmas time counting how many garments they had going in and bringing them to one of the dressing rooms and then you had to make sure they had the same coming out, I found it hard to be at two places at the same time,

The thing I liked about the job was probably the friends I started with and made through out my time there.
I found my time at river island very enjoyable. It was a bus journey away from my home therefore very easy to get to if I was called in for overtime. I was always kept busy on the tills, in a footwear department, in the fitting rooms or on the floor. My co-workers were very friendly and soon became friends we worked very well in a group together.
Pros
Friendly helpful staff.
Loved working here, would gladly go back at anytime. Very understanding as I was not in retail before here. Very thorough also.
Pros
Loved The Clothes
Cons
the company is multicultural and is really aware of the work and the investment we give to our job and into the satisfaction of customer
Pros
good advantages
Cons
short shift
I was apart of the stockroom staff as well as the floor staff these were both different jobs as stockroom was all about been neat and tidy and the floor staff was all about been co-opertive and confident to talk to customers and dealing with customers 24/7
Pros
discount to staff members
Cons
bad pay
I thoroughly enjoy working for River Island but am looking for new challenges and opportunities. Enjoy working with my team and colleagues and feel I have learnt an endless amount about retail while here.
Pros
Discount and uniform benefit
Cons
salary
Get to see all the latest trends, great staff discount on clothes and work wear. Meeting and greeting all different types of people.

Given opportunities to progress to the next level.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
On your feet all day long
The only perk about working at River Island is the staff uniform and staff discount. Otherwise, the store is understaffed which leads to poorly/under trained staff with little knowledge of the store dynamic. There is no fluidity when dealing with customers as once in your station you aren't allowed leave, the radios and scanners either do not work or function very poorly, none of the managers work alike and often blame new people for mistakes that were made long before they began to work there.

A typical day of work involves restless anxiety and high-pressure situations without aid. The hardest part of the job is going through the doors at the start of my shift. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the day.

Above all, however, I am mortified at the fact that I do not get paid minimum wage. (or over-time for that matter!) I'm afraid to approach a manager about it considering I don't want to be fired before I find a replacement job, but it is absolute madness that River Island has found a loophole in the law where I am only being paid 7.79 eur per hour. Upon asking fellow employees I was told different things: one was that because I am under 20 I get paid less. Another was that River Island, unlike most other companies, need not pay their employees minimum wage if they haven't worked 2 years minimum in retail.

Regardless, I cannot continue to work in a place that gives me paranoia and anxiety where there is no support system for people who start off. I have been working here 6 weeks and I have only been shown how to use the till once!
 - more...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Poorly managed
Always something to do.
Teaches good leadership qualities and skills to keep you on the top of your game.

Very organised.

Managed well.

Focus on teaching skills
Pros
Staff discount and uniform allowance
Cons
Not as many hours as one would like
it's a fashion company in the fashion industry .working there as given me more insight into the fashion world.
Typically upon commencement of your shift you check in with the manager and they will deploy you to whichever zone you will be working in. They will advise you of any tasks that need completing, your lunch/break time and if there will be anyone to cover you as well as expected targets for womens/mens/kids and daily focuses such as promotions available to customers that day on the web.
Once in your zone it is your responsability to acknowledge and great customers, offer assisstance, find sizes/products, or offer alternatives if the product cannot be found. Also you will be expected to upsell, ie, sell more items, a shoe if they're buying a dress, a tie if they're buying a shirt, etc. Cross-selling is also expected, whereby you will entice a customer to purchase something from another department, such as mens or kids, and you will be expected to inform customers about the availability of gift cards, store order and buying from the website as well as any relevant promotions you may know of.

The management I work with are fair, understanding and very helpful, and the staff are friendly and reliable.

The hardest part of the job varies day to day. Sometimes it can be gruelling to keep the sales floor tidy and shopable other times it can be dealing with a difficult customer and still having them leaving feeling valued and satisfied confident in the knowledge that you went above and beyond for them and that they will return again.

The most enjoyable part is when you have helped someone exactly what they were looking for and they leave feeling content and valued.
Pros
Staff discount of 30%, free clothes allowence
Cons
Not enough hours, promises of progression but to no result, minimum wage