River Island Employee Reviews

Found 89 reviews matching the search See all 1,505 reviews
Generally a fun place to work
level 2 (Former Employee) –  cork30 January 2014
The wages and hours arent great and a lot of the managers think too highly of themselves but I also had a great manager who I'm still in contact with, and one or two who weren't too bad so that's probably a personality thing as opposed to the company. I loved it.
Pros
fashion
Cons
management attitude
Oriductive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arklow16 January 2014
Great place to work. The staff are so generous and down to earth
Pros
Got an insight into working in a retail shop
Cons
low pay
Fun Workplace
PART-TIME POSITIONS (Former Employee) –  Limerick5 July 2013
I loved going to work in here. I have learned so much about how to handle customers. My co-workers were really nice and helpful.
Good place to work, but no opportunity to progress so time to move on.
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Dooradoyle, 1 June 2013
A typical day at work involves placing new lines onto the sales floor once delivery has been processed, both new and replenished lines must be put out into the floor according the company's BSP (best standard of practice). While there are many areas that i can be deployed to throughout the day my main area is cash desk. I basically interact with the customers while i de-tag the product and put the sale through the till. i also get to deal with alot of customer complaints and inquiries.
I have learned alot with my time at River Island. It can become quiet stressful with tasks to be completed while all the time trying to deal with customers and give them 100% service. i have learned how to manage my time efficiently while working as both a team member and on my own initiative. Most important i have learned to do all this with a smile on my face and control how stressed it can make me.
At River Island there are four managers Ladies floor manager, men's floor manager, deputy manager and a store manager. As a sales assistant i am responsible to answer to all of the four managers. They can each in turn give me specific tasks to do and to be completed in a specific time frame. They are all treated with the up-most respect and in turn respect is returned.
Most of my co-workers work on a four hour shift. I must say everyone who works at River Island works hard and we all help each other out when possible. The main idea of this is to cut out all breaks and lunches. All the contracts are now no more than 20 hrs, and the main idea of this is an employee works 4 hours over 5 days.
  more... It means that staff hours are constantly rotated. However i am very lucky in that the previous store manager fixed my hours to 3 days (wed,thur,fri) due to me bringing up my son on my own. She did this to help me out and it has helped me immensely but i cannot increase my hours to full time as they no longer offer full time contracts.
To be completely honest there is not a part of the job i can say is hard. I have been with the company so long now that i know how to fulfill my job role and what is expected of me.
I musty say the most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction. When a customer comes into the store and requires assistance and when they leave with the perfect outfit they wanted for that special occasion it always puts a smile on my face as that is what my job is all about, customer satisfaction.
Pros
My 3 days are set to wed, thur and fri, staff all friendly
Cons
As i work part-time i will never progress within the company
Demanding yet fun.
Stockroom Operative (Former Employee) –  Dublin28 May 2013
Working in River Island is an unique experience. I worked in Operations. This primarily revolved around stockroom work such as processing deliveries, stock replenishment etc. It also included a far broader range of tasks from building storage systems to training seasonal staff.

While, not an intellectual challenge in any real sense, I did learn how a high street fashion retailer operates. I also learned the importance of teamwork and initiative as integral sides of the same coin.

Management is highly modulated so store managers have to follow directives as laid out by head office. That being said the management team on the whole aimed to created a constructive and supportive environment, in which the entire team cooperated to get goals accomplished.

There would be two broad types of coworkers, those who are full time in the fashion industry and want to have careers or have happened to find careers in retail. Then there are students who view retail work in the fashion industry as a means to an end.

The hardest part of the job was time targets to be met, which on occasion would exceed the ability of the team and as such would have to be rethought by head office.

The best part of the job for me was achieving goals that had been set. Not that there was much in the way of bonuses, but nevertheless I felt that if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well.
Pros
30% staff discount.
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement.
Fun, challenging,
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  dublin22 February 2013
help customer
learned to use tills
learned fashion tips
got good selling asdvise and tips
leaving was the hardest part
great staff
great fun
good times
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
Enjoyable workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grafton street, Dublin12 November 2012
A typical day at work included greeting and serving customers, maintaining and organizing stock on shelves, price checking, dealing with customer queries, providing a high level of customer service and
ensuring general tidiness on the premises.
I learnt how to scan price tags and check and call down to the stock room.
The managers and co-workers are all very welcoming and friendly.
The hardest part of the job was when the shop was very busy and there was a lot of rejects to put back out on the floor but it was nothing I couldn't handle.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and helping with the customers and making sure every customer’s visit to the store was enjoyable and pleasant.
Pros
friendly co-workers
great place to work
level 2 ops (Former Employee) –  blanchardstown10 September 2012
deliveries,replen,and tasks,
dealing with costumers
management were great loved them they were very fair with everyone
my co workers were brilliant we all worked well together ,
hardest part of job was when staff was sick or did not come in and the deliveries were huge so we had to double job but we got on with
everything i loved it
Pros
nice clothes, and good discounts
Cons
long hiours