River Island

River Island Employee Reviews

River island do not reward loyalty I’ve worked there as a Manager for 10+ years . There’s no pay rise on salary and the expectation from head office is ridiculous vs the hours allocated and work load . No Xmas bonus fur any staff just a chocolate hamper -no staff paid night out to reward all the hard work. The company need to start rewarding loyalty and experience.
Pros
Lovely teams in store staff are friendly . 40% discount for staff, 50% for Managers. Company is process driven so you learn loads
Cons
Long hours at Xmas. No work life balance -answering emails on days off .
Typically upon commencement of your shift you check in with the manager and they will deploy you to whichever zone you will be working in. They will advise you of any tasks that need completing, your lunch/break time and if there will be anyone to cover you as well as expected targets for womens/mens/kids and daily focuses such as promotions available to customers that day on the web. Once in your zone it is your responsability to acknowledge and great customers, offer assisstance, find sizes/products, or offer alternatives if the product cannot be found. Also you will be expected to upsell, ie, sell more items, a shoe if they're buying a dress, a tie if they're buying a shirt, etc. Cross-selling is also expected, whereby you will entice a customer to purchase something from another department, such as mens or kids, and you will be expected to inform customers about the availability of gift cards, store order and buying from the website as well as any relevant promotions you may know of. The management I work with are fair, understanding and very helpful, and the staff are friendly and reliable. The hardest part of the job varies day to day. Sometimes it can be gruelling to keep the sales floor tidy and shopable other times it can be dealing with a difficult customer and still having them leaving feeling valued and satisfied confident in the knowledge that you went above and beyond for them and that they will return again. The most enjoyable part is when you have helped someone exactly what they were looking for and they leave feeling content and valued.
Pros
Staff discount of 30%, free clothes allowence
Cons
Not enough hours, promises of progression but to no result, minimum wage
i enjoyed the people and the place, although the tasks i felt were hindering on my abilities. This led me to the realization, that clothing retail is not the industry i want to move forward in. At times i felt like i could be doing more and felt like i wanted to be doing more. I found it pretty easy in total although easy isn't what i'm looking for.
Pros
city centre location
Cons
very little hours, slightly demeaning.
Great environment to work in. Loved all the clothes and worked with a great team of people
Pros
Discount
Great place to work in if your willing to work hard and use your intelligence. For example I was a till operative , but notching the floor was short on staff, I stepped in and worked as shoe salesmen and till operative.
Pros
Chance of advancement to other positions
Cons
Part time wages are given at the end of the month.
A typical day at work was stock control and stock replenishment. I learned a great knowledge of the stockroom. Management were very friendly and helpful. Co-workers were very helpful and outgoing and worked well as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat of the stockroom. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Pros
Knowledge of the stockroom.
Cons
The heat of the stockroom.
A typical day at work was very enjoyable and easy to do. I learned alot of life tips that i still work by to this day. The co-workers are wonderful people and really give a helping hand when needed. The hardest part of the job is the long hours but very doable without any stress. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything, Getting on with the staff, getting on with the customers, Getting compliments off the customers to the managers, The whole atmosphere was always very lively and was always a pleasure to work there.
The wages and hours arent great and a lot of the managers think too highly of themselves but I also had a great manager who I'm still in contact with, and one or two who weren't too bad so that's probably a personality thing as opposed to the company. I loved it.
Pros
fashion
Cons
management attitude
Great place to work. The staff are so generous and down to earth
Pros
Got an insight into working in a retail shop
Cons
low pay
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at River Island?
I loved going to work in here. I have learned so much about how to handle customers. My co-workers were really nice and helpful.
A typical day at work involves placing new lines onto the sales floor once delivery has been processed, both new and replenished lines must be put out into the floor according the company's BSP (best standard of practice). While there are many areas that i can be deployed to throughout the day my main area is cash desk. I basically interact with the customers while i de-tag the product and put the sale through the till. i also get to deal with alot of customer complaints and inquiries. I have learned alot with my time at River Island. It can become quiet stressful with tasks to be completed while all the time trying to deal with customers and give them 100% service. i have learned how to manage my time efficiently while working as both a team member and on my own initiative. Most important i have learned to do all this with a smile on my face and control how stressed it can make me. At River Island there are four managers Ladies floor manager, men's floor manager, deputy manager and a store manager. As a sales assistant i am responsible to answer to all of the four managers. They can each in turn give me specific tasks to do and to be completed in a specific time frame. They are all treated with the up-most respect and in turn respect is returned. Most of my co-workers work on a four hour shift. I must say everyone who works at River Island works hard and we all help each other out when possible. The main idea of this is to cut out all breaks and lunches. All the contracts are now no more than 20 hrs, and the main idea of this is an employee works 4 hours over 5 days. - more...
Pros
My 3 days are set to wed, thur and fri, staff all friendly
Cons
As i work part-time i will never progress within the company
Working in River Island is an unique experience. I worked in Operations. This primarily revolved around stockroom work such as processing deliveries, stock replenishment etc. It also included a far broader range of tasks from building storage systems to training seasonal staff. While, not an intellectual challenge in any real sense, I did learn how a high street fashion retailer operates. I also learned the importance of teamwork and initiative as integral sides of the same coin. Management is highly modulated so store managers have to follow directives as laid out by head office. That being said the management team on the whole aimed to created a constructive and supportive environment, in which the entire team cooperated to get goals accomplished. There would be two broad types of coworkers, those who are full time in the fashion industry and want to have careers or have happened to find careers in retail. Then there are students who view retail work in the fashion industry as a means to an end. The hardest part of the job was time targets to be met, which on occasion would exceed the ability of the team and as such would have to be rethought by head office. The best part of the job for me was achieving goals that had been set. Not that there was much in the way of bonuses, but nevertheless I felt that if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing well.
Pros
30% staff discount.
Cons
Lack of opportunity for advancement.
help customerlearned to use tillslearned fashion tipsgot good selling asdvise and tipsleaving was the hardest partgreat staffgreat fungood times
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
A typical day at work included greeting and serving customers, maintaining and organizing stock on shelves, price checking, dealing with customer queries, providing a high level of customer service andensuring general tidiness on the premises.I learnt how to scan price tags and check and call down to the stock room.The managers and co-workers are all very welcoming and friendly.The hardest part of the job was when the shop was very busy and there was a lot of rejects to put back out on the floor but it was nothing I couldn't handle.The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting and helping with the customers and making sure every customer’s visit to the store was enjoyable and pleasant.
Pros
friendly co-workers
deliveries,replen,and tasks,dealing with costumersmanagement were great loved them they were very fair with everyonemy co workers were brilliant we all worked well together ,hardest part of job was when staff was sick or did not come in and the deliveries were huge so we had to double job but we got on witheverything i loved it
Pros
nice clothes, and good discounts
Cons
long hiours