Seal Rescue Ireland

Seal Rescue Ireland Employee Reviews

Ireland6 reviews

Great Opportunities for Growth

SRI is an incredible organisation that does such important work. Although it's a charity that relies heavily on volunteers, there are lots of opportunities to learn new skills, step up into leadership roles, and grow personally and professionally. Every day is a new learning opportunity, and you get the chance to work with a tight-knit team of dedicated people that are making a positive difference in the world. The work is hard, and days can be long, but if you're looking for hands-on experience and to build a strong network in the field of marine mammal rehabilitation and conservation, this is a great charity to be a part of!

Pros

Animal care experience, communal housing, multidisciplinary work, real world impact

Cons

Long Hours

Overworked and undervalues

SRI was noted to be very friendly and fun and a great place to learn if you are just starting out. I heard many great things about the management and the ethos and comradery there. However, once I began working there and moved into management I found it all to be way too pressured and competitive. The Executive Director is rude and incompassionate. They constantly belittle staff and seems to do so out of insecurity about there own inabilities and only for them to look better. The same could have been said of the operations manager. The actions of these people caused unhappiness across the whole team. The whole direction of the company is unfocused and some serious restructuring of the management process and how the company is going to work moving forward.That being said working with the seals was so rewarding. Sadly, the other problems made it difficult for these positive experiences to be worth it.

Pros

Working with the seals is rewarding and very very cute

Cons

Long hours, too many unfocused projects, terrible management.

Not a Job but a Great Internship

Very hands-on work, I learnt a lot. There are long hours and early starts/finishes but you get real experience of working with sick, injured and abandoned seal pups. I learnt about medication, rehabilitation, charity fundraising, working a till, gift shop work and met lots of similar minded people.

An incredible experience.

I absolutely loved my time at SRI. It is a unique opportunity and experience. I learned so much about wildlife conservation, people management and myself during my stint there! The roles varied all the time and I worked on both the animal care team and the education/events teams. All of which are crucial to running the organisation. Due to the fact that SRI depends on volunteers and interns, there is a high turnover of people throughout the year. This has both it's pros and cons. It's a wonderful way to meet new people from all over the world but it is hard to keep saying goodbye to friends! I worked with a core team who where friendly, supportive and very knowledgeable.Overall, an excellent workplace culture. There is no such thing as a typical day at SRI really! It varies so much depending on what season it is. But generally it involves either a day of animal care with the seal pups outside (feeding and cleaning) or a day working with the public in the visitors centre, leading tours and teaching people of all ages about the conservation work of SRI. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Rewarding Work

It's exciting to work and learn from an organization that is growing so fast. Passion, dedication, commitment, and a strong work ethic is required to help build and improve an already strong program.

Pros

Close proximity housing, discounted merchandise, long breaks

Cons

Long work hours

Valuable Place to Learn

I worked here for a summer in between school, and I learned a lot about seals and their care as well as rehabilitation in general. The staff are friendly and helpful. Because all employees are volunteers, people are constantly coming in and out, being trained, and moving on. It can be a lot for someone who is not comfortable with change, but the work with animals is amazing and very educational.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Seal Rescue Ireland?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seal Rescue Ireland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement