Seal Rescue Ireland

Seal Rescue Ireland Employee Reviews

Very hands-on work, I learnt a lot. There are long hours and early starts/finishes but you get real experience of working with sick, injured and abandoned seal pups. I learnt about medication, rehabilitation, charity fundraising, working a till, gift shop work and met lots of similar minded people.
I absolutely loved my time at SRI. It is a unique opportunity and experience. I learned so much about wildlife conservation, people management and myself during my stint there! The roles varied all the time and I worked on both the animal care team and the education/events teams. All of which are crucial to running the organisation. Due to the fact that SRI depends on volunteers and interns, there is a high turnover of people throughout the year. This has both it's pros and cons. It's a wonderful way to meet new people from all over the world but it is hard to keep saying goodbye to friends! I worked with a core team who where friendly, supportive and very knowledgeable.Overall, an excellent workplace culture. There is no such thing as a typical day at SRI really! It varies so much depending on what season it is. But generally it involves either a day of animal care with the seal pups outside (feeding and cleaning) or a day working with the public in the visitors centre, leading tours and teaching people of all ages about the conservation work of SRI. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
It's exciting to work and learn from an organization that is growing so fast. Passion, dedication, commitment, and a strong work ethic is required to help build and improve an already strong program.
Pros
Close proximity housing, discounted merchandise, long breaks
Cons
Long work hours
I worked here for a summer in between school, and I learned a lot about seals and their care as well as rehabilitation in general. The staff are friendly and helpful. Because all employees are volunteers, people are constantly coming in and out, being trained, and moving on. It can be a lot for someone who is not comfortable with change, but the work with animals is amazing and very educational.