Shaws Department Stores

Shaws Department Stores Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere to work in
Shaws is a lovely and relaxed place to work, but at times can be fast paced. Staff are friendly and helpful, really enjoyed my time there. Management were very accommodating to my needs as I had young children at the time.
Productive and Positive
Loved working here gained a lot of early on customer experience in one of the first places I worked in ,lovely staff and management would highly recommend to a friend.
Awful
Started as a Christmas temp and I can honestly say hated every minute of it. The management were nowhere to be seen except for on my first day, and I received no proper training. Supervisors were patronizing and almost all staff members are in cliques and do not want to be friendly
Working in Waterford great place to work management are so friendly and helpful.
Even if u need days off there very accommodating.best place I have ever worked.
High expectations for terrible pay
Newer staff (up to 10 years service) were expected to do their own work plus pick up the slack from the older staff but for minimum wage. Older staff on higher wages (which is fair), but tended to lord it over anyone under the age of 30 regardless of how long you were there.
Management were fine and approachable but could be quite old fashioned higher up in terms of progressing the store to a younger target.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
minimum wage
Laidback work environment
Carrying out various tasks as well as dealing with customers and their queries. The staff are very friendly and it is an enjoyable work atmosphere to be apart of.
boo
cleaning, organizing the store and working behind the cash register. I priced items and counted stock supplies, I also got used to interacting with and helping customers.
Nice work environment
8 hours of work per day
I learned about sales, team work, patience, customer service.

Nice workplaces, colleagues were nice and willing to help.

I enjoyed selling in the many different departments and made friends there.
Pros
Learning a lot
Cons
having to stand on your feet the whole time
Manager
Shaw's Department Stores is a company that doesn't care about its employees. The company has a serious problem with maintaining privacy and confidentiality. No training or support given to branch managers whatsoever. The company itself has no vision at all or forward thinking. Staff were very unhappy with working conditions and also not being appreciated at all for their hard work by a senior member(s) of management - believe staff are paid to do a job and that's it, no thanks for going the extra mile. In retrospect the staff receive no adequate training either, so sales could be better if everyone felt supported. Currently there has been a very high turnover with staff in recent months. As a manager I must say that the staff were very good at their jobs and great towards customers. The work life balance as a manager isn't great. The culture of the company is fine as a staff member but in management it's a completely different story.
Nice atmosphere
You'll never fell bored or feel like you're not doing anything thing because you'll always have customers. I worked in the beauty section and safe to say I enjoyed it
Productive and enjoyable work.
Normal work hours which help balance out life and social outings. Easy to get on with everyone who works there. its normally always busy which helps the day fly by.
Pros
You get full working hours.
Cons
Can be a long day if its not busy.
good working place for students
enjoyed working for shaws while studying. the hardest part was the lack of challenges in your role. the good part-interacting with people, learning about products.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no advancements possibilities
Productive workplace
I completed three days of work experience as a part of my LCVP class in Loretto college Mullingar. I found working in Shaws Department Store very helpful as it thought me a lot about retail. I stacked the shelves,Priced close,organised the rails, helped to customers if needed. I did not get a salary as it was only three days of work experience and I just wanted to get a feel of Retail and to have work experience for the future.
Pros
Free beauty items
Cons
Fun and enjoyable work place
I enjoyed my week of work experience at Shaws Department stores. A typical work day involved taking in and pricing new stock orders, cleaning shelves, talking and aiding customers and working well with my team. I learned so much about working in a hectic work place: how to remain calm and work well under pressure, how to properly interact with customers and communicate well with my team. My co-workers were friendly and they enhanced my enjoyment of the experience greatly. The hardest part of the job for me was being on my feet for hours straight, mainly because I wasn't used to such activities. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the busy atmosphere and working with a variety of people. I love being busy and constantly on my toes, despite the pressure, and I love working with people and making sure they had a positive experience with me and the store.
Productive fun workplace
I have enjoyed working in Shaws and being involved in the opening of the new store since 2007. No two days are the same which I find very enjoyable. I have learned a lot from dealing with buyers and sales reps to keep products new exciting and forward planning for coming seasons.
Exciting
On a typical day I came in and my supervisor gave me my tasks for the day.
I completed each task and worked in many sections of the department store.

I tagged clothes and priced them.

I worked in the stock room and took note of the amount of stock in the section of the shop.

I learnt how to use the tagger and how the workers keep track of different stock they may have in the store.