SIG plc Employee Reviews

Good Company
Project Team and Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester7 June 2018
Really enjoy working for SIG. Great location, competitive pay and very understanding of the work/life balance.

Meeting people here is very easy and always friendly to talk to
Pros
Flexibliliy
Cons
Security
Lack of direction and very poor work life balance
QSHE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southern England6 June 2018
No direction from top level management, very poor work life balance, travel is ridiculous and expected to do on top of your normal working day and if you do travel in worktime it was frowned upon. Blame culture rather than educate. Local branches were always welcoming and helpful, SIG purchase of these small run businesses has been of no benefit whatsoever other than adding far to much complexity and red tape making the job even more frustrating.
Pros
Local branch amazing, car and expenses
Cons
No life!!!
Very Poor Management/Communication/Webfootprint....etc
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  South17 April 2018
I have worked for SIG for many years now, and have watch it go backwards in that time. Poor lower/middle management, very poor web footprint, new overcomplicated working systems, lack of advertising, poor communication and not interest in staff morale. This company has forgotten how to do the basics, ie: advertise, motivate the staff, chase the business and talk to one another. They need to bring in new people with fresh ideas to correct the problems, otherwise this ship is going down. I have read the other reviews, and see that this is a national problem that they must be aware of, yet do little or nothing to sort them out. By the way HR, too late asking me to contact you to 'chat', as I've been doing that for years, and have had no replies in all that time. You talk a good game, but that's as far as it goes.
Pros
National Company
Cons
Everything listed below...
22 May 2018

Hi there. Thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling positive about working for SIG. In recent months we’ve worked hard to simplify the way we do things, allowing our colleagues to focus on making our business a success. With a new CEO and new strategy in place, we’re confident we’re moving in the right direction. I’d be happy to speak about this with you further if you’d like to know more about the decisions we made. I’d also be keen to find out why you feel you’ve not had an opportunity to speak to anyone about any issues you have had before. You can get in touch with me via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Fran Galbraith - Group Talent and Development Director

Poor working conditions.
Long hours.
Pay should be better.
Lack of training.
Dealing with customers who have no idea.
20 April 2018

Hi there. Thanks for leaving a review. I’m sorry to hear that you’re not feeling positive about working for SIG.

2017 was a tough year for us and we identified that we needed to simplify our structure and remove complexity from what we do to help us focus more clearly on our customers. This unfortunately affected some of our colleagues, but we’re certain the changes were the right thing for the business moving forwards.

It’s disappointing to hear you think management is poor and that you’re not receiving the training you need. I’d be keen to hear more about this so we can work to put things right. If you’d be happy to discuss this further, please get in touch with me via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Fran Galbraith - Group Talent and Development Director

Terrible place to work, constantly policed and spoken to abusivly
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey22 February 2018
The sunbury m&e branch of SiG is a shocking place to work, they try to call you in whilst you are SIGNED OFF, you are constantly intimmidated with fears of your job, no benifits, 1% rise every 2 years even if targets are hit, management are terrible with NO people skills and wouldn't reccomend this job to my worst enemy, got worse over the 4 years i have worked here
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Constatnly intimiated and watched
22 March 2018

Hi there. Thank you for your review.

I’m really disappointed to hear your negative review and what you’ve described is definitely not the behaviour we strive for at SIG. I’d be keen to know more so I can look into this matter further. If you’d like to discuss it with me, please get in touch via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Distribution/ Liverpool/ Redundant
Driver class 2 (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside11 February 2018
worked here 11 years all the staff were quite close knit all got on and worked together including Managers. Initially liked working here no pressure from managers as we all worked well got our jobs done. Completed training for forklifts, cps and general health and safety pretty good that way. Salary not the best. Then some where along the line the powers that be decided to move operations to Manchester T1. This lead to a loss customers and an onslaught of complaints late delivery, not turning up at all, leaving our sales staff to deal with the complaints. They shut the branch down 12 months ago loosing a lot of experience. they then opened a trade counter, sales and collections point in Huyton, spent money doing a building up then shut that this year. T1 not working, no one cares about the company going down hill. Top managers seem to be doing nothing no one wants take charge of the place. A couple profit warnings investigations for Irregular accounting (as in financial times and the mail) how long can it last. Its like we paid the price for other peoples incompetence. Someone needs to get the company back on track.
Pros
Training, pension, standard 9hr day
Cons
Not great pay. poor management
28 February 2018

Thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear that your experience in SIG wasn’t as positive as I would hope, but receiving your feedback is really valuable.

As with any company, it would be wrong to say that we don’t have challenges. Over previous years we introduced some good initiatives, but were trying to do too much at once.

We had some tough decisions to make recently and this meant we reviewed our structure and looked to remove complexity from what we do. This has helped us to focus more clearly on our customers, and we’re confident we now have the right strategy in place to deliver improved performance across the Group.

If you’d be interested in sharing your thoughts further, please get in touch with me via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Environnement de travail agreable
Chef de or (Current Employee) –  Malakoff (92)19 December 2017
Bonne ambiance avec les collègues.
Bon equilibre vie professionelle / personelle
Pros
Terrace au sixieme etage
Cons
Pas d'avantages en nature
Overpaid managers under paid warehouse / drivers
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London15 November 2017
The company has over spent on out of date systems. They underpay the backbone of the company with peanuts , the sales staff, well l would call them order takers cause they don't sale anything. Also why do the except the drivers to go over there contracted times when the sales staff that messed up there order go home on time every night. Also branch directors , need to come to the real world they don't now the vosa law and health safety law stick to fudging your monthly budget.
Pros
Logistics team
Cons
Sales staff overpaid monkeys

Comment – 25 January 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, I really appreciate your feedback.

I’m sorry to hear your time with SIG wasn’t positive - what you’ve described isn’t what we strive for here, so it would be good to hear more about it so we can improve what’s happening. If you’d be happy to speak about this further, please get in touch via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Lost it's way
Leader (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire8 November 2017
Poor leadership, lack of direction, and dysfunctional organisation design, lead to poor collaboration and working relationships which resulted in significant shortfall in meeting shareholder expectations followed by two profit warnings.
Pros
Cons
Inflexible working practices, '1980's culture, traditional

Comment – 25 January 2018

Hi there. Thanks for leaving a review. I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling positive about SIG. I’d like to reassure you that we’re working really hard with our new CEO to make sure our shareholders, customers and our colleagues are getting the best from us.

Having good working relationships is vital for any business, so I’d really like to discuss this further to make sure we do what we can to improve them. If you would like to do that then please get in touch by emailing ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Rob Cross - UK and Ireland HR Director

A great business with big issues.
Manager, Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Scotland7 November 2017
It's a good company to work for and I enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot and was well trained in-house and externally. The sharp end of the company is very dynamic and fast-moving, however, using a local Sheffield analogy, there's a big distance between the seam and the pithead office and this needs to change to keep the miners chippin' away at the coalface
Pros
Dynamic, resourceful and underestimated.
Cons
Abundance of coteries and cliques.

Comment – 25 January 2018

Hi there. Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear you had a positive time at SIG, but I’m disappointed you feel there’s a big gap between our leaders and our colleagues. I’d be interested in hearing more about this so we can work to make sure it isn’t the case moving forwards. If you’d be happy to discuss further, please get in touch with me via ukandirelandcommunications@sigplc.com

Bad place to work avoid
Transport Manager (Former Employee) –  North East7 October 2017
No clear direction. Management havent got a clue what they are doing from the very top Company is in a bad shape with redundant people. Some staff a are good others are shocking.
Great People
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sheffield3 October 2017
SIG encourages its workforce to socialise which assists with building good relationships between colleagues. People are very friendly and it is a fun place to work
Huge business with too many small minded people
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester29 September 2017
SIG seems to be it's own biggest competitor at the moment.
Various parts of the business seem more concerned with blocking others than focusing on their real competitors.
Large numbers of staff are leaving or being made redundant as the company looks to rebuild, hopefully this will take them forward again.
Worth it if working in a branch
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire27 September 2017
No two days were ever the same, lovely people and commitment within the branches, its a real shame the hierarchy have lost their way recently with constant management re-shuffles.
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Long hours, work life balance not good
Career progression
HUB Transport Manager (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire26 September 2017
I have greatly improved my knowledge through external training where I gained my Transport Manager CPC and received on the job training through the internal team
Interesting
IT Training Executive (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Field Based21 September 2017
Working for SIG in my role means I travel all over the country and visit many different types of business operations.
Training people with different skills and ability can prove to be difficult, but SIG have allowed for this. The training lasts for upto 12 weeks, with time before new system is installed and after.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Long hours at times
Poorly managed company
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  South West18 September 2017
Company is very poorly managed and it is not driven by cost effective selling or the desire to look after their employees. The senior team spend most of their team either providing or participating in corporate entertainment.
Best job Ive ever had
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wales9 September 2017
Only left as i needed to relocate, great organisation and structure. Great benefits and work life balance. Forward thinking company with great ambition.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours but not mandatory
Branch Manager
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire14 August 2017
Reasonable company to work for but questionable direction.
Lost its core values and needs to review basic skills and take time to get these right.
Middle to top management heavy.
Pros
Security
Cons
Long hour little praise
Sig
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire10 August 2017
Good place to work with lots of freedom to make change. Great people who work extremely hard to deliver for our customers day in, day out. Would recommend working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SIG plc. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8