Skechers

Skechers Employee Reviews

Ireland25 reviews

Found 25 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,134 reviews

Company was not my cup of tea

No support from higher management... left to deal with problems with no real support or even a plan of support to come dowm the line . unrealistic kpis and no work life balance

Pros

Discount

Cons

No balance

Not a great place to work

When it comes to working at skechers it seems fine at the start, Salary is exceeding what most retailers are offering but it's not enough. Employees arent valued.No staff canteen. No lockers. No office for Managers just a small desk in the stockroom which gets in the way.High turnover of staff due to the rate of pay. Hard to retain staff.Headoffice whiles some are helpful, the majority aren't. They don't listen to the needs of staff at store level. Unprofessional and no real support or operating procedures in place. Some in head office have a micro manage approach on how they speak to management and staff and dont want to listen when you need their input.

work life balance doesnt exist

pay is shockingly bad for a company this big. sunday pay is time and a quarter, which is terrible for somewhere so busy. higher ups do not care about their staff, only kpis and upts matter more to them than the air you breathe.

Pros

staff

Cons

literally everything else

Nightmare

Do not work here, favouritism is a clear issue , no progression because the owners move others in from other store or previous employees into roles they never advertised were available

Pros

The staff

Cons

Everything else

Fun

Love the job full of new tasks ever day and always easy to meet daily targets the staff are amazing and they are the best thing about it that make the day go by fast

Mixed

Great progression.This place was where I developed all my skills and progressed my way through other retail stores when I left.Great all round experience!

Pros

Fair

Cons

Staff and Store managers are the best people you will ever meet

The job itself is a great fun job and I would of enjoyed it so much more if it wasn’t for the area manger and owner. Head office couldn’t care less about their staff and take short cuts in everything they do. They don’t care how under staffed you are they want your targets met no matter what. They are quite rude to sales assistants and being a manager is even worse! Avoid at all costs due to management of company!

Pros

Fun /kind people to work with

Would not recommend

A very non beneficial company who overwork and underpay all staff including management. Head office and owners put an overwhelming amount of pressure on each member of management and are all not nice people to work with. After 4 years with the company, I was still disrespected and treated as disposable when I gave my all to the job at all times.

Pros

Easy to advance and get promotions but not worth it and very little benefits.

Cons

No minimum wage until you’re 20. Bad management.

Avoid

Management use the threat of higher ups at every opportunity. Constantly reminded that if sales targets aren't met on a weekly basis that the following weeks hours will be severely cut. Whole sales pitch which you're encouraged to use with each customer is forced and unauthentic. You'll be encouraged to think outside the box and figure out new and innovative ways to make sales and deal with daily occurances but you must stick to what you're told you can do???. Pay is terrible and there's no increase no matter how long you're there and hours are just as bad. Rota for the week starting Monday would be posted in store Sunday afternoon even though it's "provisionally" made on Friday. Don't assume because you check it before you leave Saturday night and you're not in Monday morning that that's the case as it can and regularly will be changed. No emails or anything to let you know your hours. You must physically go to the store every Sunday to check. If you get a colleague to send you a picture of the rota (which of course happens all the time) you WILL be asked why you never came in to check yourself. You'll spend the night before every shift depressed at the thought of going in the next day

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Management, Head office are useless, Pay, Hours, No work life balance, No flexibility in shifts, Constantly on edge and stressed

Great coworkers, poor conditions.

The staff are great to work with, however, the pay and hours were poor. Staff were treated by the owner as disposable, and not valued, despite being incredibly hard working.

Pros

One free shoe pair per year, 30% off shoes.

Cons

Overtime without pay, short break hours, often asked to work additional hours without notice.

Shocking!

Absolutely shocking company to work for. Stay away at all costs! No benefits, huge pressure, no gratification...instead you are told on weekly basis that you are a disappointment. This company will drain you, ruin your confidence, will make you feel horrible! You are expected to work overtime with no time in lieu and on minimum wage. Unrealistic targets, KPIs and deadlines. No training provided, no structure. All they care is money!

Stay away.

You are expected to go that "extra mile" at all times. Forget about you kids, family or friends because once you start working here you will be sucked into word of chaos and no structure.You will be expected to do work way beyond you job description with minimum wage. Higher management do not care about anything but profit. You are not human to this franchise. Stay away

Don’t do it.

An amazing brand and that’s where the positives end. Simply a nightmare, stay well away. Lots of promises. Beware of the wolf in sheep’s clothing. Stay well away.

Pros

Great brand

Cons

Fun place to work, good and friendly staff. Management understanding

Fun place to work, good and friendly staff. Management understanding. Pushed to meet targets but commission as incentive. Overall nice place to work but poor wage and benefits.

Fast paced & challenging but rewarding place to work.

If you thrive in a busy fast paced enviornment then Skechers is the job for you. Fantastic career progression available for those who are willing to put the work in. No two days are the same in Skechers, so be prepared for a challenge. Regular management & staff incentives to motivate & boost morale in stores. Target & KPI driven but a fun & energetic place to work all the same. A positive can do attitude will you see you go far in this retail job. Definately not for the faint hearted- be prepared to multi- task/multi- serve and be quick on your feet, all the while maintaining the highest level of customer service. Most staff are hired on a zero hour contract , however higher rank management are contracted to a 40 hour working week. As one of the smaller stores, you will have a smaller team therefore you will do a lot of the tasking yourself, whereas in the larger stores the managers have a bigger workforce to delegate tasks to . If you apply for a management position in a smaller store you must have a proven record of being capable of multi- tasking & dealing with stressful situations in a calm & efficient manner.

Pros

Progression opportunities, Free Shoes, Incentives, Holidays, Bonus opportunities.

Cons

No staff contracted hours.

Horrible

Worked here for a little over a month and hated it. Extremely unrealistic high standards expected. Management was terrible and you're treated unprofessionaly if you aren't meeting targets and you are constantly belittled. Fear mongering is used every day towards staff if you're targets aren't been kept up. threatening to cut hours (which they do) and worse of all its been said on the floor in front of customers and other staff members instead of calling a person aside privately which should be done. Mangagement constantly talked about staff members even though they claim to not tolerate that sort of thing. I heard them on numerous occasions talking badly about me and threatening my job if my targets didn't improve. Such a horrible atmosphere to walk into everyday and then you're expected to give you're absolute most and the rest without any thanks. I have to mention aswell that during my interview the manager told me I wouldn't get any less than 30 hours a week and would hardly work weekends unless I was needed because she had part timers in college to do the weekends which was a lie I worked every weekend! And was constantly being sent home early because then there was too much staff on and then you're getting given out to that you didn't make targets that day EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE BEEN SENT HOME EARLY! it was extremely infuriating and the amount of unnecessary stress I had working here from a job that literally a 10 year old could do was ridiculous. Don't waste you're time applying for this kip.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Terrible and unprofessional behaviour from management

Worst company I've ever worked for.

I worked in Skechers for about 3 months and I can only describe my experience here as miserable. A typical day consists of you running around the shop, climbing unstable ladders in stock rooms to get shoes and being belittled by management. Skechers take their young staff for granted paying those under 20 less than minimum wage. Managers are extremely incompetent with a lack of people skills and empathy and the morale in the shop is extremely low whilst they are working. Targets are unrealistic and there is no incentive to reach them other than the threat of having your hours cut if you don't. This company continuously cut corners on pay and are always renewing employees contracts for probation so that they don't have to make them permanent which in other words would give them more rights. In one particular circumstance my manager refused to take my P45 from me resulting in weeks of emergency tax. After opening a file with revenue I was told I would need to inform Skechers payroll to apply my credits I asked the manager for the number and was refused it. In the store I worked in, in particular the manager would name and shame people on a targets board if they didn't reach them and in all of my time there I had never heard the manager praise anyone for any work well done, instead opting to tell staff that they weren't working hard enough and their efforts so far weren't good enough. Staff from headquarters would come in on weekends and the managers would completely lose it with employees to make sure impossible standards were kept to impress area managers so you -

Pros

30% Off shoes, Great co-workers (Sales associates)

Cons

Poor Management

Great Staff, Take shortcuts on pay

Great environment to work within, hours are great, however they cut corners with pay as I began on less than minimum wage and was told after a year I would be on minimum wage but that time kept being extended i.e when I complete a year I was then told it was 2 years

Good to work for

An overall good company with fantastic managers. Always listen to ideas etc. Have an excellent relationship with costumers and staff. Fabulous work ethic.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Early start

Fun place to work

A typical day would be approaching customers 20 seconds after they enter the store to check if they are okay for shoes and sizes. This was very important as I worked on a target based system for sales. I learned on the importance of good listening skills when dealing with customers in retail it is the best way to make a sale. The co-workers were polite and extremely helpful and took me in under their wing when I was first starting off. The only difficulties faced was dealing aggressive customers closer to the Christmas period. I mostly enjoyed the co-workers I worked with they were always there when you needed them even if it was to get a shift covered or ask a bit of advice on shoes. I felt part of family in Skechers as each store has its own separate sales team.

Pros

Flexible Hours and Shift Swaps

Cons

Can get quite busy during the Christmas season a tough skin is required.

Great staff , faced paced working environment.

Here I learned many valuable skills. I learned an in depth knowledge on skechers shoes and found working in a fast paced environment very rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skechers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Skechers with

• Skechers
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?