Smart Financial Credit Union

Smart Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Average workplace

The Credit Union as a whole lacks structure, organization and enforcement. Employees are not provided the proper training/development to be successful in there roles. It feels like as an employee, one has to do all the research to do basic job functions.

What is the best part of working at the company?Their loyalty to not only their members but also their staff. They made special accommodations for not only myself but another fellow coworker following my at the time undiagnosed illness of ulcerative colitis and her bought with cancer.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Depending on the fluctuation of inbound calls and amount of agents staffed may make the work day a little more stressful due to the large amount of calls one may have to take.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Awesome very family oriented What is a typical day like for you at the company?Mostly very easy breezy being that it basically is repetitive once you get into the flow of things the day goes pretty smooth

Fun environment

The credit union hires tellers straight out of high school and it’s very clear that they put effort into helping young employees with career development. Fun training and great coworkers.

Interesting place to work

If you enjoy office politics and worrying about your job daily then this is a great place for you. Not many people willing to share their knowledge to help further your career.

fast paced and fun place to work

There is a good work life balance. Management cares and has the company going in the right direction. Pay is far and time off is good. They provide training to learn and advance.

One of the greatest places to work

I loved my time at Smart Financial. Great coworkers, great training programs, and they are very understanding of a healthy work/life balance. Great company culture.

Good company to work for.

Good company to work for with a lot of amazing people to work with. I love the benefits at Smart and HR does an amazing job when something important comes up.

The company values their employees.

I really enjoyed my time with the company and would work for them again. My management team was very helpful in guiding me through the policy and procedures for the credit Union.

Pros

Recognition of anniversaries, birthdays and special occasions for employees.

Cons

Short lunches

SFCU was always in my corner.

I loved working for Smart. My schedule, pay, my direct management everything was fantastic. Every company has ups and downs but I honestly can say I loved my department & manager. We had a great environment. I felt valued as an employee. It really was one of the best places to work!

Pros

Benefits, schedule flexibility

Cons

Sometimes short staffed

Great to start out

A great place to start from the bottom up. Some room for growth if you develop a good relationship with upper management. Management has improved in the past few years.

Pros

Diversity

Cons

Clean up ia needed in the management

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smart Financial Credit Union?

Welcoming environment

The company is very laid back, the training at the corporate location is very good training... follow up training is very slow paced. I believe there are opportunities for advancement. I believe all tellers should be full time.. part time = is you’re basically a greeter. The compensation is very low.. the environment is cool and the members are nice. The staff I work with are all very nice... however I do notice quite a bit of micro management from team members who are not management.Overall it’s a cool place to work. Very easy to learn new things.

Pros

No stress

Cons

Pay

A Credit Union that Once Was

You often hear that credit unions often place members over profits as their primary goal is to benefit a particular field of membership such as a particular industry (e.g. teachers) geographical locations among others. As such they emphasize lower fees, better customer service, and more benefits to employees and customers over traditional for-profit banks.That used to be true for this company until a few years ago after the previous CEO retired. The Smart Financial of today has acquired a bank mentality with a focus on more and more sales rather than customer service. Benefits for customers and employees have been cut, while also increasing fees across its products and services. The atmosphere in the branches have become cut-throat environments with sales pep rallies on a daily basis. It used to be that Smart Financial would advertise with pride that it ranked #1 in the "Best Places to Work in Texas" category every year, from 2011 until 2017 when the previous CEO retired and suddenly it stopped doing so. Its Glassdoor employee review rating was at one point at 3.9, but now it's down to 2.8. I wonder why?Many of the seasoned and well-respected employees that had been at Smart Financial for several years or even decades were suddenly "retired" and their workload was passed to other employees with no extra pay. A lot of many former employees have compared the transition to be more becoming like another Wells Fargo and it showed. You might have been an employee who was well-liked by customers, got along with co-workers, but didn't meet your sales goals in a period of time? -

Pros

Benefits that you anticipate at many companies (i.e. 401(k), tuition reimbursement, health plans, etc.).

Cons

Growing bank mentality, Promotion often based on nepotism and not because of actual skills, Reduced employee compensation

Great job rough clientel

Was a great job. Loved what I did. Had a great team. The hardest part is breaking people’s hearts. After time you get desensitized to people that are struggling. This job made me lose a lot of compassion for people.

It seems nice

The people who are in charge, they have somehow finagled their way to those positions. i.e. smudging and/or falsified their last positions/resumes. This becomes extremely evident once you have a basic conversation with them. The training staff is the only thing holding this place up! Once you meet them and experience what I believe the company wants to be like, you feel very optimistic. Then, reality hits, and you are encompassed with degenerate bleeps, who are clearly overcompensating for their lack of intelligence. Again, the training staff is awesome!

Easy place to work

I was a high school student when I worked for Smart Financial, so my pay was minimum wage. However, the people there were nice and it was a really easy job. The hardest part of the job was making sure your balance drawer was correct at the end of your shift.

Buenos retos

Una empresa que te da la oportunidad de tener nuevos retos laborales muy interesantes

Innovative Company

There are constantly changes being made. Members are supposed to be the sole focus of the company but sometimes that is overlooked. The company offers great benefits. The same people get promoted. Management isn't very helpful.

Not bad, but stagnant

Not very welcoming to new emoloyees--- I felt pretty isolated when I worked there. Other than that, the work was straight forward. A little bit micro-managey, but I think that was just the manager. It's a fairly competitive environment but overall no drama.

It was good in the beginning

Not a good place to work anymore, the change the CEO of the company and the new one those not have control of anything. Everything change for bad for the employes.

Could Be Better If Structured Effectively

Typical day is enough to keep you busy, however constant confusion on who is accountable for what (along with upper/middle managment politics) which often filters into work areas.The credit union has gone through a dramatic change from CEO to Human Resources and Management which could be the reason. Overall no structure in place and when asking questions it's like going through a secret society to get answers. Management have no real authority of their department operations and in constant fear of being called to Human Resources. Employees tend to walk about in a nervous state which is very strange. Human Resources are too involved in departments daily operations and processes and not enough on true employee related issues. Massive confusion there with the potential to make "honestly" a great place to work. Smart Financial offer good benefit packages and paid time off including free concerts and volunteering at their Smart Financial Centre. If you're hired or work there keep your head low and stay to yourself.

Awesome place to work!!

Anyone that ask me how I like my job and the people I work with I always tell them I love it. I would have never left this place if I didn’t need to relocate to another city. The only thing I would say is that they could pay a little better and the benefits could be a bit better. Other than that....this is the place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smart Financial Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement