Smiggle UK Employee Reviews

Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire5 April 2018
store management really makes a difference. every shift is fun. if the shop is empty, or there's nothing left to do for the rest of your shift, they let you play with the stock. everyone has each others backs. school holidays give opportunities for extra hours. contracts start at 4 hours per wee which is ok for students, but at only 16 hours per month, you're not earning anything really
Pros
decent staff discount. general discount in rest of shopping centre
Cons
4 hour contract
Brilliant Company to work for!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South West22 February 2018
Such a fun and exciting up and coming brand to work for. So many employee benefits. The overall technical structure could be vastly improved in terms of communications from top to bottom and systems put in place seem either backward or outdated for the UK. Management is great and the company is very positive.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester4 February 2018
a typical shift would be 4 hours.
Working on tills, speaking to customers and children, restocking shelves, tidying up.
learned confidence skills
learned retail experience
Pros
shifts of good length
Cons
one shift a week (sometimes cancelled)
One of the worst companies I’ve worked for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 January 2018
I worked there for a while (longer than I probably should’ve)
Day to day is hectic there’s not much organisation within the company.
Nothing seems to be fluid from head office to store and a lot of stores struggle to keep up.
But the store staff they make it worth it, if someone has been in smiggle for longer than a year they know how to help and motivate there team and are far more valuable than any of head office.
If you’re hardy and understand that sometimes the business comes before even your own children, than smiggle is for you.
Pros
My team, my manager!!!!
Cons
Long hours lots overlooked by HO
Worst job ive ever had
Customers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury22 January 2018
I worked here for about a year. I loved it for the first few months until the manager there started to show her true colours.
I hated coming into work and often felt belittled or scolded when I thought I had done a great job. Instead of constructive criticism I would get an eye roll followed by a huff and got no helpful words on how to improve what I had done.
My shifts were also changed allot, I went from 20hrs a week to 4. I am aware that's my contract, however it's morally wrong to promise more hours to convince someone to not leave and then give them more or less nothing.
When I finally left, my manager refused to work with me and never replied to any of my attempts to contact them.
Do not recommend working here unless you're a temp.
Pros
You get 50% on all items but.....
Cons
You can only have 50% on 16 items a month.
Easy job, nice atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  UK16 January 2018
I started working at Smiggle in July 2017 as a Sales Associate.

A typical day at work consists of: checking daily targets, receiving & checking delivery, tidying & replenishing the store, greeting and approaching customers, serving at the till, getting email sign ups, setting up VM displays, pricing & labelling products etc..

The job itself is easy and I enjoy working with all aspects of retail, my favourite being Visual Merchandise.

There are some downfalls though.

The job is mostly lone working and when there's only two people in on one day, tasks cannot always be met, especially if the store starts to get busy. Unrealistic tasks tend to be given on days where there's not enough staff - no matter how fast or hard you work, it is sometimes impossible to complete everything.

Smiggle don't offer Full Time contracts to SA and overtime is few and far between, so the hours are just not enough for most people.

Rota's changing constantly, which can be very annoying at times.

Was not trained well, not necessarily the manager's fault as started at an awkward time but I got blamed for mistakes.

Without sounding too negative, Smiggle is generally an okay place to work. I just wouldn't recommend this company to anyone who needs full time hours, as they don't not offer to SA's.
Pros
Staff Discount is good, easy job
Cons
No full time hours, Lone working
Fair place to work
Smiggle (Former Employee) –  Warrington16 January 2018
Working at Smiggle wasn't the place for me, I rarely enjoyed my job which is why I was quite glad on just being Christmas staff as then I could go out and find a job that I preffered and that I enjoyed. From the job, I learnt that working around people you aren't familiar with is a tricky task but does boost your confidence up. The most hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who were impolite, ignoring, arrogant, etc. Yet the most enjoyable aprt of the job was speaking to the polite customers and having a laugh with the team.
Pros
Welcoming customers an helping out
Cons
Ignorant, arrogant, impolite customers
Amazing Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear12 January 2018
I only worked here for 2 months but within that time I found the company amazing. There are fun, reliable staff, great benefits and amazing support...
fun place
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orchard29 December 2017
As a sales associate, the job requires me to greet the customers ones they enter the shop, also to serve them at their needs, always be available for the customer. We are also required to upsell the items and share with customer the promotions.
Not a nice company
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London28 December 2017
Lasted nearly a year and it has been a terrible experience.
No bonus, low pay, no benifits, no appreciation and you are treated like a money making machine.
dont work here
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 December 2017
Manager is a bully/abusive to staff causing many people to leave, rude customers,never enough stock to replan,product is always falling over and is disogranised.
Pros
hometime
Cons
everything
Head Office don't care - you are just a number
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames8 November 2017
Your manager and team care about you and the work you do, but Head Office and the powers that be couldn't care less whether you stay or go! 'oh well, bye bye, everyone is replaceable' is their default mode. Sadly this attitude casts the darkest shadow over every single shop
Pros
50% off 15 products per month
Cons
Unappreciated
Love working for smiggle fans are so lovely
Manager (Current Employee) –  Smiggle uk18 October 2017
It’s very hard work but also very rewarding, area Manager has been supportive and really helped me pick up the culture. Took a while to learn everything but once you have worked 6 months everything falls into place and comes naturally.
They expect a lot but what company doesn’t! It can be difficult to get a work and home life ballance but I can say I really like working at my store, products amazing and customers really lovely, had a fantastic depty Manager she got promoted to manage her own store, and I have a fantastic team, they pay temp staff well.
Pros
Really good at promoting from within, good discount
Cons
Lots of lone working and unsociable hrs
You're better off applying somewhere else
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 October 2017
Having worked there for a considerable amount of time I think I can definitely say working for Smiggle just really isn't worth it. For the amount of stress you have to endure there, there really aren't many benefits - no pay rise, no appreciation from your managers or even the company as a whole. Head office staff are rude and to be quite honest get in the way more than they help (sometimes leaving the store in more of a mess than it was in the first place!). Hours are inconsistent and shifts can literally change overnight sometimes. Honestly, if you're looking for a consistent job with a decent wage then Smiggle isn't for you. You're better off finding a job elsewhere.
Pros
The team at my store were amazing and I truly miss them
Cons
A very stressful and negative environment to work in
Excellent workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basildon1 October 2017
I haven't worked at smiggle for very long but is most definitely one of the best experiences of my life, the smiggle team are very friendly and easy to get along with, the customers have always been very friendly aswell.
Pros
great pay
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2017
This is a fun place to work, as long as you like kids and can keep your smile all day long.
Great company for opportunities, with a friendly and welcoming staff.
Worst company ever!!!!!!!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NA6 September 2017
I worked in smiggle for over a year, no proper support from anyone, store manager was constantly looking down on her staff, HO were more bothered about opening new stores rather than focusing on issues in current stores. I would stay well clear off this business as there is no support, no appreciation for working extra hours, no sick pay, no bonuses, lone trading etc i could go on!!!! Just stay away and you will be happy!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No support, lone trading, no appreciation
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 September 2017
The company itself represents the happiness and cheerfulness that is given to children by the parents with the Smiggle stationery; unfortunately, the management of the organisation asks for 150% with a reward being a slap on the back and then a try harder. The company gives opportunities to be promoted but due to a bottle neck in management, it's easy to be stuck in a store managerial position for many years with little to no gratitude or reward.
Pros
Seeing Happy Families; Customer Service Experience.
Cons
Management; Workplace Culture; Lack of Reward/Incentive
Good job to have a student
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 August 2017
Good and sociable job to have. No shift is ever the same and get to meet loads of new people who come into the shop. Hours are fairly flexible and work around studying/ exam times quite well.
Pros
good for students, half price discount on items
Young company in the UK so some kinks to iron out, Loved this store and the team!
Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grays12 August 2017
A typical day for me was checking comms, setting up the day, accepting and processing delivery (or delegating it to someone), analysing figures and then actioning floor moves accordingly, updating visuals, training the team and of course, introducing the Smiggle product to the wide-eyed kids!

As a company, I really enjoyed the mix of structure and the amount of discretion that we had as managers. If you followed the instructions and delivered good "quality" sales (so strong KPIs even if footfall/turnover wasn't great), you would get recognised and appreciated.

In the store, I was lucky to have an experienced, "no-nonsense" manager and a wonderfully positive team. I helped open this store with my manager, who worked very hard to ensure we all achieved and exceeded our targets consistently. Probably the best boss I have had so far.

We had an AMAZING Area Manager. He had more of a mentor/coach management style as opposed to dictatorial which I have experienced in the past. I definitely learned a lot from him in terms of operations and people management as well as how to make smarter business decisions in order to improve profits.

I think the hardest part of the job was that the company was/is expanding too fast and wasn't focusing enough on the issues already at hand. So at my store level, that sometimes meant that we were stretched in terms of hours/support available. Eventually, it became exhausting for myself (personally) but I'll always have a soft spot for Smiggle!
Pros
Amazing learning experience, room for progression, popular company with its target market.
Cons
Insufficient level of support/resources from HQ, did not match the level of company expansion, and that would filter down to store level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiggle UK. Our community is ready to answer.